Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 problems since latest firmware update - which firmware is stable/should I revert to?

grayjaso1
Aspirant

R7000 problems since latest firmware update - which firmware is stable/should I revert to?

I need to perform a firmware upgrade on one of my r7000 routers that is notably behind in this respect. The one that has been upgraded to the latest firmware has had more network drops and performance issues since I did this. After reviewing other Netgear Community discussions, it looks like the issues I'm having since the latest firmware update are global.   So, in lieu of a fixed Netgear r7000 firmware update, what is the best/least buggy firmware version for me to use to update my other R7000 so that I don't run into the issues associated with the most recent firmware version? 

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
grayjaso1
Aspirant

Re: R7000 problems since latest firmware update - which firmware is stable/should I revert to?

I previously experienced the same performance issue as you and since I have been using the FW BETA 1.0.5.60 (for at least a couple of weeks now), I haven't seen the performance degradation.  Also, a new FW BETA version 1.0.5.62 just came out and you might want to try that.  v60 has worked for me so far...

Also, although there seem to be different Community opinions on whether this is really necessary, I did a factory reset on the router before AND after the firmware updates.  Then I customized my settings (e.g. passwords, SmartConnect option, MTU packet size setting, etc.) manually to my desired settings.  You might want to try that to ensure a 'clean' configuration.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
LeeH
Prodigy

1.0.4.28 and 1.0.4.30 are the most stable.  I run 1.0.4.28 for months without any problems.  Remember to do a reset with the button on the back held in for at least 10 seconds until the power light starts blinking after the firmware flash.

Message 2 of 12
grayjaso1
Aspirant

I'll give that a try.  I'll try that on my r7000 that I already upgraded, too.  My wired PC passing through the r7000 that I already upgraded has terrible internet (download) performance at 1-3MB vs the 100MB+ I should have.  When I bypass the r7000 and go straight to the modem, I'm back up to 100MB.  I'm hoping firmware is the issue. 

It sounds like I have the same problem MANY other r7000 owners are having with degraded internet performance.  Since this issue has been documented going back to early 2015 or even 2014, for most owners the degraded performance occurred >90 days after purchase. So all we seem to be getting from NETGEAR is the standard "We know there are issues with the r7000s and we're working them.  However, we can't troubleshoot you without swiping your VISA for a cost well on the way to a new router that probably won't have these issues."

How can NETGEAR even be selling the r7000s knowing that there are lingering serious problems with them?  Anyway, I'm hoping that reverting the firmware 'fixes' my issues so I don't have to save up for a replacement quite yet.  Also, I was going to go for one of the newer Netgear range extenders, too, but if the r7000 is not going to get me the advertised performance, this will be useless.  I'd like to hang in there with Netgear as a relatively long-time customer, but these issues certainly give me pause on future purchases.  Anyone from NETGEAR wish to respond?

Message 3 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi grayjason1,

Issues on the current firmware has been forwarded already to engineers and they are working on fixing those issues. For now I recommend reverting back to firmware version v1.0.4.30.

Message 4 of 12
No_ROI
Aspirant

JamesGL

my experience from yesterday was that reverting my R7000 back to v1.0.4.30 or any other of 2015 versions DID NOT helped, just got worse.

Before contacting Patrick's or Michael's executive office, any other constructive suggestions from your Eng. team ?  

Regards

Message 5 of 12
bytat
Tutor

Don't forget to press the reset button, located in the tiny hole at the back of the router, for 30 seconds after you've installed the firmware and manually re-configure all your settings. Don't load a backup file since that'll effectivally cancel out the reset.
Message 6 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi No_ROI,

Please reset the router to factory default and manually reconfigure the router.

Message 7 of 12
StephenL
Aspirant

As of today 04/08/2016, the web based UI of my R7000 displays "a router firmware update is available". But when I click on it and it checks for the new version, it returns no new firmware.

I currently have version V1.0.4.30_1.1.67. I checked the support website where it says the latest is V1.0.4.30 too. But I read on some posts in the forum, people are using V1.0.5.0. 

The reason I seek an update is because I am trying to setup my iPhone to use the VPN feature of R7000. The guide that I found on the support site shows the V1.0.5.0. In v1.0.4.30, I cannot find the same feature for iOS device.

Please, someone helps me. Either tells me what is the latest FW available and/or help me setup iOS device to use VPN with R7000.

Message 8 of 12
Kaptajnen
Aspirant

James,

i have been waiting patiently for news of a stable firmware for my Nighthawk R7000.

I am running version 1.0.6.28 and I have to reboot every 24 hours... This is not acceptable for a premium product.

Please advise.

thank you

Message 9 of 12
grayjaso1
Aspirant

I previously experienced the same performance issue as you and since I have been using the FW BETA 1.0.5.60 (for at least a couple of weeks now), I haven't seen the performance degradation.  Also, a new FW BETA version 1.0.5.62 just came out and you might want to try that.  v60 has worked for me so far...

Also, although there seem to be different Community opinions on whether this is really necessary, I did a factory reset on the router before AND after the firmware updates.  Then I customized my settings (e.g. passwords, SmartConnect option, MTU packet size setting, etc.) manually to my desired settings.  You might want to try that to ensure a 'clean' configuration.

Message 10 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi Kaptajnen,

Here is the link for the beta firmware.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Beta-FW-1-0-5-62/td-p/1078114

Message 11 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi Kaptajnen,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7