Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 router sometimes disallows wifi connections

artiste1212
Aspirant

R7000 router sometimes disallows wifi connections

I'm using the R7000 AC1900 router with the most current firmware version. My desktop computer is connected via cable, while my phone and laptops are connected through wi-fi. Periodically (approximately 1 or 2 times per month), the router prevents the other devices from accessing the internet via wi-fi, but still allows my desktop wired connection. The devices show as being connected to the router via wi-fi but no internet access -- while internet access does work for my desktop. How can I prevent this from happening?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

What actual firmware version are you on? The r7000 regularly says "up to date" and isn't. 

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

Message 2 of 6
artiste1212
Aspirant

Thanks. It's firmware version  V1.0.11.126_10.2.112, attached to a Motorola E31U2V1 modem.

Message 3 of 6
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@artiste1212  It might be worth just giving your router a quick reboot to see it if resolves the issue. Easily done by using the Nighthawk App.

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

The R7000 has been a problem child for firmware updates. Some of them haven't worked right on any of the latest firmwares. 

The agreed upon most stable version for those devices is 1.0.9.42

You can try installing that over a hardwired connect, then do a factory reset and reinstall. disable auto-updates afterwards. 

Message 5 of 6
Portwey84
Virtuoso

There should be a disclaimer attached regarding v.42. It's now quite old firmware that may by now be heavily security compromised compared to the latest release firmware. Whilst it may be accepted by some as the 'most stable' out of all of the firmwares available, it might also prove to be a security issue. In other words, think carefully before you leap is all I'm saying.

It should also be clear, not everyone has a problem with the R7000 AC1900 router or its firmware. Those of us who don't have any issues are I suspect, not a minority. It seems to be very much dependent on where in the world you live and whether router owners actually know and understand their product, what the router owners environmental conditions are for optimum use etc. Some folks would just be better off using their ISP supplied equipment if we're all honest.

Reading through the threads throughout this forum, it's abundantly clear there are many folks who simply don't understand how their routers work, indeed many have probably not once even bothered to read the manual.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7