Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 slow download speeds

subraarya
Follower

R7000 slow download speeds

only realized after 8 months that my R7000 router always has a download speed close to 3-5 mbps when my ISP provided me 75mbps upload/download.

I got latest firm ware updated and customer service suggested me to use channel '11' from 'Auto'. Tried that but for first few minutes it is good but in no time it again going down to 3-5 mbps download speed, I noticed my upload speed is relatively higher.

Does any one experienced the same issue?

Noticed one forum about this issue but no solution as I see it.

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
bill1228
Guide

If you have not already, I would reset the router to defaults and without doing any configuration other the connect to the Internet, no wifi etc. Now see what speed you have with a computer connected to Ethernet port. If it is good then add your configuration back in one thing at a time and test again. This should get you to what configuration option that is causing the slowdown.
--bill

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 15

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you get the same issue with a wired computer? What is your ISP service e.g. Cable or DSL? If DSL have you tried lowering the router MTU, 1492 is the typical maximum for DSL but you could try lower values e.g. 1400 or 1350? Are LAN-LAN file transfers also slow?
Message 2 of 15
nToxik
Aspirant

How are you measuring your download speed? I was experiencing a degradation in download speeds as well and the Genie software was the problem. After uninstalling that software, the speed issue went away.
Message 3 of 15
staniguchi
Initiate

Hi.. (first time poster)
I have similar issue...

I had Cable company upgrade my line from coax to fiber optic last weekend.

I was getting 900+ Mbps when I wire connect my system to modem.
But using the same cable, connect it to WAN port of Nighthawk, the best I get from the connected clients are ~400 Mbps.

Upload speed was ~50 Mbps. I disabled QoS upload, then I got ~350Mbps for upload speed.

I didn't have anything else connected to router (wired or wireless) for testing.

MTU is set to (default 1500)... and same on clients.
I did ping google.com -f -l 1472 (that's 1500 - 28 header) without any issue.

ping is ~7 ms

I'm using speedtest.net

Is it because NAT setting that's slowing down the the thru put and not avoidable??

Thanks!!
Ski
Message 4 of 15
bill1228
Guide

If you have not already, I would reset the router to defaults and without doing any configuration other the connect to the Internet, no wifi etc. Now see what speed you have with a computer connected to Ethernet port. If it is good then add your configuration back in one thing at a time and test again. This should get you to what configuration option that is causing the slowdown.
--bill
Message 5 of 15
rwclemmons
Initiate

I have read many sites with this same issue for the R7000. My ISP provides Fiber to my home with speeds up to 1Gb using PPPoE. I am unable to  come close to 50% of throughput for my availible bandwidth. Currently with the R7000 inline and wired to 1 laptop I can obtain 350 Mbps of throughput. Removing the R7000 results in 750 Mbps of throughput. 

I reset and configured my router as you recomended and the throughput of the R7000 did "NOT" improve. I could only attain 350 Mbps using the R7000.

I did note some of the first reviews of this router when it performed much better than I am seeing. On the following site it shows the throughput is exceptional but if you note the firmware is an old firmware version V1.0.1.22_1.0.15.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32239-ac1900-first-look-netgear-r7000-a-asu...

I have started looking at new routers and sadly Netgear is no longer on my list of vendors. I am not purchasing your devices because of the number of customers seeing this problem and the legnth of time you have ignored their voices with an unwillingness to resolve this issues.

Message 6 of 15
TheEther
Guru

I've heard the same about the R7000 and PPPoE. It probably can't handle the decapsulation and encapsulation of the PPP headers in hardware.

Let us know if you find a wireless router that supports hardware offloading of PPPoE. I have a colleague in the same boat.

Message 7 of 15

Very poor support from Netgear. I have had this issue intermittently, slow on both frequencies, and on the wired ports, just suddenly, out of the blue. Port 4 actually becomes unresponsive, and does not return a ping.

The latest from Netgear, after having proved that the issue is not with the Cable modem (100Mb/s down), and is definitely with the router, either hardware or software, is that I try changing the DNS to 4.2.2.2!!!

Clearly they are not listening, and really dont care. This is a useless router as its stands Off to buy an Asus, - I cant wait indefinitely until Netgear get serious about fixing this one.

I have no idea how it gets recommended on any site. Its that bad.

Message 8 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi @williebabeham,

Can you try to load the beta firmware for R7000.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-firmware-v1-0-5-44-limited-release/m-p...

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 9 of 15

Yes, I will thanks you.

In the interim, I beieve I may have found the solution to my isse, that may be helpful to others.

I have been swapping routers bertween the R7000 and an ASUS RT AC66U. I joticed that after a while they both exhibited this problem (though the wired ports on the ASUS were not affected) and monitored closely for a few more days. I saw a time relationship to the problem, - it would happen ar certain times, mainly, but nt always the evening, so being on a Cable network, I monitored the cable feed; there was no drop in speed at thre cable provider side, the speed drop was associated with the router.

Evetually, after monitoring connected clients, one in particular, which had a private MAC address seemd to be connected at the times I had problems.

Turns out it was a Kindle, and my wife was trrning it on, and reading, and the wirelss was on. I turned the wireless off on the Kindle, and the problem disapperared. I went from arounf 2Mb/s down and about 1 up  to 69Mb/s down and 4.2 up.

I googled KIndle devices and found that this is very common, mainly with the Kindle Fire; our Kindles, - we have 2 are Kindle Touch models; the other Kindle when powerd on with wireless on, did not show the same issue. I have reloaded the suspect device, and have left its wireless off.

If you have these symptoms, check is you have a Kindle, especially a Fire, and disable its wireless connection. Amazon may have fixes, - they have none for my version.

I will continue to monitor, - the R7000 is now in service, and I will report back. Im not sure exactly what the Kindle was doing, but this precise effect is very common, and can be easily found with a Google search.

Message 10 of 15

I addition to the note I added re the Kindle, I wanted to say that the ASUS CPU was 100%, and the memory usage was 95% during the time the the slow performance/connected device issue was in progress. This was very helpful in troubleshooting.

Is there a way to monitor these parameters in the R7000?

Message 11 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi @williebabeham,

This feature is not available with the router. This is a great idea and you can offer this suggestion in our Idea Exchange board.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 12 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

In my case, there was Linksys WET610N on my LAN freaking out. Turning off wifi at the router restored my expected speed. Turing it back on and then disconnecting wireless clients one-by-one led me to the WET610N.

Message 13 of 15
jrgreenman
Tutor

In my case, there was Linksys WET610N on my LAN freaking out. Turning off wifi at the router restored my expected speed. Turing it back on and then disconnecting wireless clients one-by-one led me to the WET610N.

Message 14 of 15
err66dman
Aspirant

Mine runs great..some of the problem was not the router as much as it is the modem fighting the router I had a modem that was junk and did not allow the netgear to perform right bought a new modem set it up and am pulling wireless speeds at 170mps
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7