Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 slow upload over wifi (android)

R7000 slow upload over wifi (android)

Hi

I recently switched my router to the R7000 connected to VDSL line via a Netgear DM200 modem (PPPoE). This all works just fine for most devices connected.

However, for some strange reason the upload speed over wifi for some devices are really bad.

- An iPhone and an iPad works just fine

- All computers running Windows works perfectly fine both wired and wireless

- All android devices fail. Download speed is fine but upload measures at 0.0 (compared to 2Mbps for everything else). Tested this on 2 samsung tablets, a kindle fire, a motorola phone and a sony phone. They're all the same and they all struggle to load certain sites or upload things. The only thing they have in common is that they all run Android in some form. This happens on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz (don't have any wired Android devices).

I've updated to the latest firmware (1.0.7.2) and did a factory reset afterwards, but that didn't help. In discussions for some other routers a few people suggested putting a switch between the modem and router, so I tried that as well without any luck. I even tried downgrading the firmware to some earlier version but that didn't make any difference.

If I plugin my old router (a TP-Link, still via the DM200 modem) everything is back to normal and works perfectly. My old router doesn't support AC or 5GHz wifi though so I would like to get the new one working.

That it only seems to affect Android devices feels really bizarre. I could understand if all wifi struggled, but laptops and apple devices works just fine.

I still have time left on the 90 days free support but I figured I try here first.

Any ideas? Something else I should try?

Thanks

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: R7000 slow upload over wifi (android)

What settings did you use on the TP?

Try FW 1.0.4.30

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

What settings did you use on the TP?

Try FW 1.0.4.30

Message 2 of 5

Settings on the TP are:

PPPoE Always on

MTU 1480

Enable IGMP Proxy

Echo request intervall 30 sec

DNS Servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Rest is disabled/empty.

Think the R7000 has the same settings but will double check and try the 1.0.4.30 FW this weekend.

Thanks

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You're welcome,

I don have any android to test with. How is the DM200 setup what mode are you using?

Message 4 of 5

Success!

Changing the MTU to 1480 on the R7000 appears to have done the trick. It was 1492 earlier.

Will run some more tests to verify but so far so good. I'll mark your response as the answer since that got me comparing the settings.

The DM200 is a brilliant little thing. It's running in modem only mode so all settings are controlled from the router. I did test it in router mode as well just to verify that things were working properly. You wouldn't buy it for it's routing abilities though. Guess the only negative aspect is that it's a bit harder to get statistics from it when it's in modem only mode (it's on a different subnet) but so far I haven't had the need for that anyway.

Thanks

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series