Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 stopped accepting wifi connections.(V1.0.11.126)

tns
Aspirant
Aspirant

The router is setup with one wired PC, and wifi just for the guest acct (cell phones, laptops). The non-guest wifi SSID broadcast is disabled, but both the 2.4 and 5G wireless guest bands are fully enabled and use the same wifi password and the automatic/smart band select is on. It all worked fine for a month but then the wifi stopped allowing any device to join the network. The SSID is still being broadcast for both guest bands but attempts to join are refused, even for devices that previously worked. Power cycling does not fix it. The wireless light is on.

I did an ERASE from the GUI (I assume this does the same as Hard Reset button) and setup the router again, but I still get a message like, "you cannot join the network at this time". If I mistype the wifi password I get a bad password message instead, so the problem isn't the password. I also tried reinstalling the same V1.0.11.126 FW, but it didn't help. The next step will be to revert to the older FW.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8
tns
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: R7000 stopped accepting wifi connections.(V1.0.11.126)

After trying several different setting changes the wifi still refused connections.

I downgraded the FW to V1.0.11.110, performed an ERASE, manually reconfigured, and the wifi is working normally again.

I'll post if it fails again.

Message 2 of 8

@tns wrote:

..performed an ERASE,

That isn't a term that I recognise. Is it what Netgear calls a factory reset?

Message 3 of 8
tns
Aspirant
Aspirant

The user manual describes both the hard button reset, and the ERASE function in the GUI (under advanced->backup), as a return to factory settings. If there is any difference, I'd like to know. This router is in the attic, so using the hard reset is a chore.

Message 4 of 8
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@tns @michaelkenward 

I had a look at that 'Erase' function and yes it does indeed exist, but I think it's primarily supposed to revert settings saved in backup, back to factory settings.

Fact is, no one should have to keep factory or hard resetting their router. Either there's an ISP, environmental or router issue.

You wouldn't think it reading the mountain of threads on this forum from folks complaining about the R7000 router, but there are plenty of us who have no problems with it at all. Personally, I refuse to believe it's entirely a router issue, moreover, I think it's environmental issues coupled with possible incorrect ISP settings, poorly placed routers limiting router WiFi and in many of cases, out of date firmware, though in your case, you say you're on the latest firmware release.

If I kept having multiple issues with my 3rd party router, I'd dump it and buy a different version or brand, or use a ISP supplied router (if they supply one).

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 5 of 8

@Portwey84 wrote:

I had a look at that 'Erase' function and yes it does indeed exist, but I think it's primarily supposed to revert settings saved in backup, back to factory settings.

I asked because it isn't a term that crops up here. It would be typical of Netgear to use two different ways of describing the same thing.

@Portwey84 wrote:

You wouldn't think it reading the mountain of threads on this forum from folks complaining about the R7000 router, but there are plenty of us who have no problems with it at all.

The R7000 is probably the best selling mid-level router in Netgear's range. That means that it is bound to get more complaints than less popular devices. Take the R7800, you'd find it hard to create a list of its crimes against humanity.

@Portwey84 wrote:

Personally, I refuse to believe it's entirely a router issue, moreover, I think it's environmental issues coupled with possible incorrect ISP settings, poorly placed routers limiting router WiFi and in many of cases, out of date firmware, though in your case, you say you're on the latest firmware release.

I can't disagree with a word of that. But the people who turn up here, present company excepted, are convinced that they have done everything right, that their environment is perfect, their ISP can do no wrong and that the router is the cause of all their woes.

Sometimes the penny drops when they learn that their "modem" in front of an R7000 is no such thing, but a modem/router. Sadly, the techs at too many ISPs don't seem to have come across this and mislead their customers into blaming their routers. Of course, the ISP's aim in life is to get customers to rent an expensive, or possibly useless, sometimes both, box to connect to the Internet.

Message 6 of 8
tns
Aspirant
Aspirant

The router was a rummage sale special ($10) and I have only had it in service for a month or two. The no wifi problem started when out of town visitors tried join the guest network. Just before that the guest network was working fine for me. I can't remember if I installed the latest 126 FW just before this or later as an attempt to fix the issue. My downgrade to the 110 FW was what fixed it, so I am no longer on the latest version.

Message 7 of 8
tns
Aspirant
Aspirant

I see there is now a FW newer than 126 that seemed related to this problem. One dissapointing thing about Netgear is they stopped providing FW release notes, so you have to guess if any fixes are worth the update. Another question is if a prior settings backups will even work with a newer FW.  I'd be more likely to try the newer release if I new I could use my previous backup.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7