Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000

Kitsap
Master

Re: R7000

@required_alias wrote:

"24" and "50" are the way they're identified in the android app.  50ghz.

I don't like both networks -24ghz and 50ghz named "netgear-24.." 

I presume I can disable "smart Connect" and give them individual names.

Yes!

I repeat myself, use a real computer with a web browser.  It should be connected to the router with an Ethernet cable if possible.  If not possible, Wi-Fi will work with occasional glitches.  Either of which are way way better than mobile applications.

Message 26 of 41

@required_alias wrote:

"24" and "50" are the way they're identified in the android app.  50ghz.

That doesn't get as much further. I'm not being picky but it does suggest that you may be looking at the wrong thing.

For a start it is 2.4 and 5.0 GHz. "24" and "50" are something else

The "24" and "50" things may be the tags that Netgear puts on the end of the default SSID names.

The labels on a device list variuous usernams and passwords. So you may see something like Netgear24 and Netgear50 if you tell your Wifi clients to log in.

You can, and should, change those to whatever you like.

I presume I can disable "smart Connect" and give them individual names.

You can, as @Kitsap says. But I would step back and work out what you are doing. Start with the manuals.

Random forays into unknown territory could be frustrating and can do more harm than good.

And as @Kitsap says, relying on the app is a bad idea. If at all possible, avoid it, especially when you are playing with several devices on one network.

Message 27 of 41

Let's do it this way.  My primary goal, for now, is to be able to identify the 2.4 and 5.0 networks by SSID.  NG calling both Netgear-24 isn't helpful.

I have a network I labeled "Netgear-AP" on the R7000 while using the previous ISP modem so I could identify when a phone/tablet is connected to the AP.  With the new modem, the R7000 has no such network.  Not surprisingly, trying to access that AP from any device fails.  Yet, it still shows as a network on every device we own.  So, my next goal is to get rid of nonexistent SSIDs.

Finally, on the NG web page>Advanced>security>access control, I have 40 devices listed.  An app on my phone (Fing) shows 47 (the correct number.  why the difference?

Message 28 of 41

@required_alias wrote:

Let's do it this way.  My primary goal, for now, is to be able to identify the 2.4 and 5.0 networks by SSID.  NG calling both Netgear-24 isn't helpful.

Probably a consequence of "Smart Connect". It consolidates bands to a single SSID. A helpful move for most people who don't want to faff around with separate WiFi bands..

Disable Smart Connect and you should see two SSIDs from the AP. But you have been told that already.

Not surprisingly, trying to access that AP from any device fails.  Yet, it still shows as a network on every device we own.  So, my next goal is to get rid of nonexistent SSIDs.

It is surprsing that you can't find it because people have explainesd to you how to get in there. Find the IP address and aim a browser at it.

Here's something that I use to find the IP addresses on my network without having to ask Windows to intervene.

Download the desktop genie for Windows.

genie | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Install that and you will find a very help Network Map.

Geniemap.jpg

If you are lucky, you can "right click" on your AP and it will show you details, including a clickable link.

NetgearGenieMap.jpg

Finally, on the NG web page>Advanced>security>access control, I have 40 devices listed.  An app on my phone (Fing) shows 47 (the correct number.  why the difference?

First, it isn't a web page as most people think of it, somethying out there on the Internet. It is just the way in which your browser shows the router's graphical user interface (GUI).

The entries don't show you only devices with a "live" connection, it remembers previous devices. The Network Map is "live".

Heaven only knows what this Fing does and how it works.

You do seem to be making life difficult for yourself. I'd get back to basics and deal with things one step at a time. First sort out the modem/router/AP issue.

Message 29 of 41

First, according to the link, "Genie is no longer supported. To manage your equipment, we recommend the Nighthawk App or the Orbi App."  Nighthawk is apparently only for Android or IOS.

Disabled Smart Connect and was able to change SSID names.  I can now tell which is which.  woo-hoo.  I also found there were 6 networks associated with Channel 6, the channel my router was using.  Changed to another channel and strength/speed is much better.

As you know by now, I know little about routers. I hope I have one last question.  Before this adventure began, I had 3 networks.netgear24, Netgear50 (associated with the router) and NetgearAP associated with the AP so I could change between Netgear50 and NetgearAP depending on signal strength.  Can't find how to do it.  Is this another case of me trying to hard.  Is there an easier way?

And thanks for the patience/replies.

Message 30 of 41

@required_alias wrote:

First, according to the link, "Genie is no longer supported. To manage your equipment, we recommend the Nighthawk App or the Orbi App."  Nighthawk is apparently only for Android or IOS.

Do not confuse the mobile genie with the desktop genie. Two different things.

Follow the link I provided.

genie | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Look at the bit that says "Windows".

michaelkenward_0-1677794589512.png

Before this adventure began, I had 3 networks.netgear24, Netgear50 (associated with the router) and NetgearAP associated with the AP so I could change between Netgear50 and NetgearAP depending on signal strength.  Can't find how to do it.  Is this another case of me trying to hard.  Is there an easier way?

You should not need to switch between WiFi sources. Most WiFi clients can see that there is a better source to join. Just move from room to room and the mobile phone, or whatever you are using, should switch from one source to the other. You can even use the same password for different SSIDs. The handover can happen without you noticing it.

The way to avoid that handover completely is to invest in a Mesh WiFi system. This uses a network of router and "satellites" that talk to each other and manage the transfer of clients from one source to another.

Your current network, with its R7000, is a good five years old, technology wise. Nothing wrong with that, but don't expect to make best use of your Internet service.

Message 31 of 41

"Look at the bit that says "Windows".  "Select an app to open this RAR file"

I'll check the Mesh system.  Sounds promising.  Meanwhile, can I change the AP SSID to match the router?

A little OT, but I have two Basic>Attached Devices that show "Blocked."  Checking them and selecting "edit" doesn't allow me to remove BLOCK.  How do I do it?

Message 32 of 41

@required_alias wrote:

Meanwhile, can I change the AP SSID to match the router?

Yes, but there may not be much point. WiFi clients will still have to negotiate a fresh connection to the new SSID. And there's a chance that seeing the same SSID for two different sources could confuse the poor thing.

A little OT, but I have two Basic>Attached Devices that show "Blocked."  Checking them and selecting "edit" doesn't allow me to remove BLOCK.  How do I do it?

No idea. Mostly because I don't know why these things are blocked.

What do you see in Security >> Access Control?

Message 33 of 41

"A little OT, but I have two Basic>Attached Devices that show "Blocked." Checking them and selecting "edit" doesn't allow me to remove BLOCK. How do I do it?"

Found it.  Never mind

Message 34 of 41

If this is too far OT, let me know and I'll start another discussion.

Have a R6050 that 'was' set up as AP and cabled to the R7000.  No idea now - can't reach it.  I have a network switch cabled to the R6050.  connecting to the R7000 via browser and Genie app, the R7000 sees neither.

I've reset the R6050.  Still doesn't appear.  After reset, I've connected the the R6050 to the PC by cable.  Typed in 192.168.1.1 and 10.0.0.1.  Neither connects to the network.

How do I get the R7000 to find them?

BONUS:  Genie finds a Chromecast device.  I have no Chromecast device.  Any explanation?

Message 35 of 41

@required_alias wrote:

I've reset the R6050.  Still doesn't appear.  After reset, I've connected the the R6050 to the PC by cable.  Typed in 192.168.1.1 and 10.0.0.1.  Neither connects to the network.

After the reset, the R6050 is no longer in AP mode.

Set it to AP mode.

Connect to R7000.

Restart things in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Go into the browser graphical user interface (GUI) for the R7000.

Look at the attached devices list. Find the IP address for the R6050. Point a browser at that address.

Message 36 of 41

worked perfectly.

Message 37 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 38 of 41

@required_alias wrote:

worked perfectly.

What did?

It helps to flag as SOLVED the message the worked, for the benefit of later victims seeking answers to similar problems.

Message 39 of 41
khustabak
Aspirant

Everytime I have a power outage or some form of issue where the router loses power, the internet speed throttles down from lets say 235 download to 66 download. In order to fix this, I need to go on my laptop, go into the QoS setting in my routerlogin.net and do a manual speed test. Somehow by doing this, the speed "unlocks" and is back to normal.

I have the Nighthawk R7000 with Netgear CM400 modem, with Xfinity.

Any help appreciated!

Message 40 of 41

You have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

If you do decide to ask a question, you should provide more details and your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide. The firmware version installed, for example.

Message 41 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7