Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R70000 Google Fiber - DNS OpenDNS

dcook7312
Tutor

R70000 Google Fiber - DNS OpenDNS

I"m trying to get FamilyShield Open DNS numbers or regualr OPEN DNS numbers working at my home for filtering reasons for my family. I'v tried setting up the DNS numbers in the Google Fiber Network Box (GFNB) and could not get them to take even though there is Custom settings for DNS. Sounds like from reading around because of IPV6/IPV4 issues it doesn't work.  According to the OPEN DNS instructions for Google FIber I need to setup a router downstream. I have a Netgear R7000 router so I thought I would give it a try (I'm computer saavy but not a full time IT guy). I followed the instructions on the Google's page (hooked up Ethernet line from LAN port to WAN port of R7000, turned off WiFi on GFNB, and set r7000 to Access Point AP mode) The internet, Wifi and wired connections seems to be working fine out of the r7000 now.  Nevertheless I can't figure out how to get the DNS numbers for OPEN DNS going. They don't  work when put in the GFNB and the R7000 Internet tab is greyed out in settings. I can't see any place in the r7000 settings to put the OPEN DNS numbers, when the router is in AP mode. Can someone help me set this up? I set up AP mode instead of bridge mode.  Should I be in bridge mode? Do I need to do a  port forward - not sure how that works? set the R7000 to router mode?  Other ideas?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Just flip the switch on the R7000 to router mode. Make sure to connect all devices through the R7000. Don't connect anything else other than the R7000 to the GFNB.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Neither bridge nor AP mode will help you.  Your Google Fiber box will still provide DNS.

You would need to run your R7000 in router mode.  It would also be best to put your Google Fiber box into bridge mode, if at all possible.  Otherwise, you will have double NAT.  This will cause problems for gaming.  If you don't game, then it is possible to get by with double NAT.  It's just not ideal.

Message 2 of 6
dcook7312
Tutor

I don't see any wayt to put the GFNB in bridge mode.  It does allow turning off the wifi, so at leat two wifi signals won't compete.  I'm not a gamer so I don't think the double NAT would be a big issue there.  Do I need to do anything else to set this up?  Other than just flip the switch the on the R7000 from AP mode to Router mode.

In the settings on the GFNB they have 1) DHCP start and end taht can be changed and the LAN IPv4 address 2) DNS server can be set to automatic or custom 3) Wifi Network on/off and 4) There is a port forward option.  

Message 3 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Just flip the switch on the R7000 to router mode. Make sure to connect all devices through the R7000. Don't connect anything else other than the R7000 to the GFNB.
Message 4 of 6
dcook7312
Tutor

Thanks.  I think that did it.  I didn't realize Netgear had Open DNS and Circle built in.  I used the built in version of Open DNS and I think I'm up and running.  I checked the Open DNS test page and it worked.  Thanks again.  Let me know if I missed anything or if there are real problems with double NAT I'll encounter.

Message 5 of 6
dcook7312
Tutor

This has been working well since I set it up except when I try to VPN into my office to do work on the office network.  I was reading on double NAT and it mentioned that VPN and gaming sometime make it difficult.  I've read some about port forwarding and DMZ but am not sure I know how to set those up or would that even help.  Any suggestions?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7