Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000P Conflicting WiFi

D1xon00
Tutor

R7000P Conflicting WiFi

I have noticed ever since I started working from home on a laptop, that if both my phone (Samsung S8+) and the laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad w/ 10th gen i5), that after a random amount of time, or seemingly random, both will lose internet connectivity.
Both devices will still have wifi connection, but I can sit and watch the command prompt ping 8.8.8.8 constantly, connect my phone, and somewhere between 5 and 20 minutes, it will start timing out, and my video on my phone will stop loading.

At first I thought IP mismatch, but both devices are showing different IPs, and I even tried setting my phone to 192.168.1.250 as a static IP and still didn't resolve it. 
Ethernet connected PCs are not impacted by this connection loss. I need to sit with my GFs phone and see if it too experiences the connection issues, as it'll be easier to monitor than the smartTV.

Could it be a conflict with some network or beam optimization? Should I start splitting my 2.4 and 5Ghz networks? What testing would help resolve this?

I no longer have tech support through Netgear for the device without buying more, but I do have warranty access, so I have opened a warranty ticket.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000P Conflicting WiFi

You for sure can just try the update and see if it helps. 

If you still have issues, then try the factory reset. Sometimes old settings can cause issues. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11

All Replies
D1xon00
Tutor

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Wi-Fi-5-AC-Routers/R7000P-drops-WIFI-connections-frequent...

This seems like a similar set of symptoms to what I am having, but mine is not load based. I will see if disabling MU-MIMO resolves my issue. Seems like a possible solution, but if it does resolve it then I feel like a warranty replacement is more important due to how valuable MU-MIMO is supposed to be.

Message 2 of 11
plemans
Guru

what firmware is on the router? 

What modem/gateway is it connected to ? 

did you try a different dns provider? 

Message 3 of 11
D1xon00
Tutor

Firmware is:

V1.3.2.134_10.1.66

I updated through the auto update feature.

The modem is a Motorolla MB8611, I have Xfinity as my ISP.
Sorry if that is not what you are asking.

DNS is set to automatic from ISP and is set to 75.75.75.75

with backup of 75.75.76.76

Networking is not my area of expertise so I don't go digging to change anything I don't need to. So please be patient if I don't understand the question.

Message 4 of 11
plemans
Guru

There's a newer version of the firmware. 1.3.3.154. 

Try installing that and then doing a factory reset and reinstall. 

sometimes that can help. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7000P.aspx

Message 5 of 11
D1xon00
Tutor

I just want to clarify the order of things with you first. 

Install Firmware
Factory Reset Router
Install Firmware again?

Or do you just want me to factory reset the device and install the firmware after the reset?

Thank you for the firmware link though, odd the update check didn't see this.
Would it be beneficial to just try updating the firmware alone without the reset?

Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

You for sure can just try the update and see if it helps. 

If you still have issues, then try the factory reset. Sometimes old settings can cause issues. 

Message 7 of 11
D1xon00
Tutor

I have updated the driver, and re-enabled MU-MIMO. With MU-MIMO disabled it seemed to be working with no issues, so here's to hoping a driver update resolves that issue and I can turn the feature back on. So far after about 10 minutes I am having no issues.

Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

Hope it stays stable!

Message 9 of 11
D1xon00
Tutor

A couple days in and we are good to go I think. Looks like from now on I just need to go to the website directly for firmware updates vs relying on autoupdate

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7