Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000P - Wifi 5G With GPD Win Max

fire888
Guide

R7000P - Wifi 5G With GPD Win Max

Hi,

I have a problem with my R7000P.

that is when my gpd win max connecting to the 5G wifi, in about less than 1 minute, the 5G wifi would down for a few seconds, and would go back up again (yes, only the 5G wifi that's down). It doesnt have this problem if the gpd win max connecting to the 2.4G wifi or to LAN.

I have tried to use wifi extender (wavlink) that's connected to the 5G wifi of r7000p, and I connect the gpd win max to the wavlink 5G, and it's ok. The wavlink was configured as bridge, so the ip subnet still the same, so this is almost like the gpd win max connecting to the router itself, but with extender, it's ok.

I have tried to used my backup router linksys, and the gpd win max could connect to 5G just fine too.

So there's something that made the gpd win max made the r7000p's 5G wifi to go down after connecting. It would go down just a little bit of time (the time was like the router restarting, but only for 5G wifi, the 2.4G wifi and Lan still functioning), but still annoying as it made all other device's 5G connection down.

does anyone know or could help me find what might trigger this behavior ?

thx.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 6
fire888
Guide

Re: R7000P - Wifi 5G With GPD Win Max

Sorry I couldnt edit the 1st post.

Just want to add more infoso that it's more lcear,

this only happened with the gpd win max. All other 5G devices could connect just fine.

But when the gpd win max connecting, in less than a minute, the 5G wifi would down for a little while (like 5-20 secs), and then it would function again like normal.

My gpd win max's use have lots of turns off/turns on, so this would happened alot if I connecting to the 5G network directly on r7000p

oh and I have tried to see the router's log, and there's nothing about this. Only that after the 5G network connecting again, there're some logs about dhcp about some devices connecting to the 5G (because they just connected again after the 5G went down and up again).

Message 2 of 6

@fire888 wrote:

that is when my gpd win max connecting to the 5G wifi

What's GPD Win Max?

And what's wavlink?

I woudn't assume that people here understand what these devices are. Or have time to go out into Googleland to find the answers.

Message 3 of 6
fire888
Guide

@michaelkenward wrote:

@fire888 wrote:

What's GPD Win Max?

And what's wavlink?

I woudn't assume that people here understand what these devices are. Or have time to go out into Googleland to find the answers.

Well, I think the people that would answer is tech savvy enough to know it or google it.

But okay, for people that dont know it, here it is :

GPD Win Max = a type of umpc (ultra mini pc) from gpd. for simplicity just consider it a mini laptop 8 inch that's powerful enough like pc or gaming laptop.

Wavlink = I think I have put this clear enough as I have said that it was a wifi extender. wavlink is the brand name

Message 4 of 6

@fire888 wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

@fire888 wrote:

What's GPD Win Max?

And what's wavlink?

Well, I think the people that would answer is tech savvy enough to know it or google it.

But okay, for people that don't know it, here it is :

You expect us to go and check Google to understand your setup? The response to your message may tell you something.

Let's boil it down to basics. You have problems with 5 GHz wifi connections to the R7000P. (Note that 5GHz wifi, the correct name, is not the same as 5G mobile, a confusion that crops up here from time to time.)

@fire888 wrote:

GPD Win Max = a type of umpc (ultra mini pc) from gpd. for simplicity just consider it a mini laptop 8 inch that's powerful enough like pc or gaming laptop.

That doesn't tell us anything useful. What matters is the 5 GHz wifi technology involved. Is it some sort of integrated chip? A USB widget?

5 GHz wifi is famously sensitive. Faster, yes, but over a shorter range. I see no sign that you have tried playing with different 5GHz channels.

At least with the R7000P we can rule out wifi 6 as an issue on the transmission end. But if this PC has wifi 6 capability, then the drivers, usually from Intel, are a well known cause of grief. A search of this community should reveal more on that saga.

I leave it to someone who understands the first message to unravel what is going on. I got lost in what connects to what and where the 5GHz link falls over.

I should have started with the usual boilerplate questions.

What firmware version do you have on the R7000P?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 5 of 6
fire888
Guide

sorry I dont know how to quote, as when I click quote, it quotes all ur message and I cannot separated it to answer each one. So I will answer with my way

Let's boil it down to basics. You have problems with 5 GHz wifi connections to the R7000P. (Note that 5GHz wifi, the correct name, is not the same as 5G mobile, a confusion that crops up here from time to time.)

------

yes thx for the clears up. I always forgot the full name. only saying 2.4G or 5G here.

That doesn't tell us anything useful. What matters is the 5 GHz wifi technology involved. Is it some sort of integrated chip? A USB widget?

--------

hmm I dont know what u mean. U mean to ask if my gpd win max connected to wifi with usb or integrated chip ? I think it's integrated chip. Like I said, it's the same with laptop, only that it's mini. So it came with the capabilities of connecting to wifi 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, and yes, no wifi 6

if u want the campaign, it's here :

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/win-max-2021-handheld-game-laptop-for-aaa-games#/

but I just cant find what chip it uses to connect to wifi, maybe u can find it there.

oh as for the wavlink wifi extender, the full model is Wavlink WL-WN575A3 AC1200

What firmware version do you have on the R7000P?
A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

------------

now I used V1.3.0.20_10.1.1 as it was what the technician of the distributor recommended when he checked my r7000p for the problem before (yes, there was a problem with my r7000p before that I have found the solution. if u want to read it, it is here : https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000P-network-disconnected/m-p/2121634#M195...)

But I have tried other newer firmware too on my journey on finding the problem on my previous problem thread above :

V1.3.2.134_10.1.66

V1.3.3.140_10.1.75

I have tried both newer firmware and still the same problem with 5Ghz, but as I was debating with the technician before, he forced me to go back to V1.3.0.20_10.1.1 that's the most stable according to him, so now it is the firmware.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

------

the r7000p is connected to modem/router Technicolor CWA0101 with lan cable.

I think the technicolor have capability to broadcast wifi too (if from googling). It was from my internet provider, but from the 1st time, the provider has never turned the wifi on, as the internet provider also provided me with linksys router as the wireless router, that I then replaced with r7000p.

if there's more info needed just tell me.

thx.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7