Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000P - network disconnected

fire888
Guide

R7000P - network disconnected

Hi,

about a month ago, my router R7000P was giving me weird symtomps. Whenever my laptop connected to 5G, it would make ALL my other devices that connect to 5G disconnected (or maybe I should say that the 5G wifi down). It would be about 3-5 secs, and then it would up again and all devices can reconnected again.

ok, I dont know what's wrong and I blame it all to my laptop. from then on I'd only let my laptop connected to 2.4G network.

But about 2 weeks ago, the router started a new symptoms. It would randomly disconnected ALL my network. Yes, All. All wifi down, and even lan cable network down. It is like once in about 20-40 mins. So annoying. And no, this have no connection with the laptop anymore as this happened randomly even when my laptop is turned off (yes, means it was shutdown and not sleep, so it wouldnt be possibly connected to the router and affected it in anyway).

I have tried updating the firmware to the newest (firmware version V1.3.2.134_10.1.66), I have tried to disable mumimo, enable dynamic qos (that I never used before, and I still dont know what it is for). All proved useless.

At last I factory reset it yesterday, and today, it's still the same, no improvement.

Now, one thing that ticks me off. Every time it disconnected about 3-5 seconds, and connected again, since a few days ago, I tried to see the logs. And every time, the logs would be cut off, which means there would only logs started from the time it was disconnected. There was no logs prior it. Why is that ? My idea is that the router might be restarting when it was disconnected, so the logs were automatically cleared. Is it right ? would the logs cleared itself when restarted ?

I never able to see the router when it disconnected because I always late in remembering having to run to the router place when it disconnected, because it only happened about 3-5 secs, and all connected again, so I wouldnt know if it restarted in the time.

would anyone have more ideas to try ? because if can, I dont want to send this router to netgear technician, because it would mean my house's network would down for a few days.

thx

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000P - network disconnected

try installing version 1.3.0.20 of the firmware. then do the factory reset and install. Don't install from a backup configuration. 

And then disable auto-updates. 

This version was the version before netgear armor. I've seen some instances of r7000ps that struggled with armor.

That's where I'd start

Message 2 of 14
fire888
Guide

If it's about the armor, I have disabled it since after reset.
Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

disabling armor doesn't remove it from the firmware. Armor is built into the firmware on the newer versions of firmware. Its why I recommend downgrading to the versions prior

Message 4 of 14
fire888
Guide

I have tried it in these few day, and nope, downgrading the firmware didnt help either

Message 5 of 14
fire888
Guide

oh yeah, finally I can catch on what it was doing when all network down.

I attached the video here.

I suspected it was restarting itself ? because like I said, when it finally connected again, and I checked the logs, the logs always cleared out and starting from the time when it connected again

edited : cannot attached a video here

so I'll just attached the screenshot from the video.

on the screenshot only 4 lights on (orange on left and right and 2 whites on the middle)

after a few secs, there would only 2 lights on (orange on the left and 1 white on the right - couldnt post it here as only 1 picture allowed), before finally a few secs more, some of other lights would start to light on one by one until all the lights turn on again.

Message 6 of 14
plemans
Guru

After the downgrade, you did a factory reset and new install? (didn't use a backup configuration?)

have you tried a different power supply? it needs to have the exact same polarity and voltage but can have higher amperage. 

Message 7 of 14
fire888
Guide

sorry. it was very busy days as I sent the router back, and have to use my old router back, setting all over again, work, etc.

back to ur question

yes to all

downgrade, reset, and setting all over again (without backup, because I worried the backup would contain the firmware)

I tried to use stabilizer to be sure, and I put the fan to make sure it wouldnt overheat too.

all for nothing.

Now I sent it back as it's still in warranty, and netgear here in my country still checking it. but got cut of weekend. I hope on monday they can decide it soon and let me have the replacement.

Message 8 of 14
plemans
Guru

Good luck with the replacement

Message 9 of 14
fire888
Guide

got my router back. no replacement made. 

the technician couldnt find any error, and they wont replace it.

now they asked me to try it myself.

After a few days trying, it happened again, the disconnected happened 1-2x per day, less than before, but it's still there, and like before, the logs cleared again by itself. 

the technician asked for the active log, and now he blamed my computer and asked it to be removed from the network because there's a lot of spam like :

[LAN access from remote] from 36.73.32.212:13221 to 192.168.0.xx:29975, Thursday, Jul 29,2021 09:42:54
[LAN access from remote] from 202.80.218.66:51976 to 192.168.0.xx:29975, Thursday, Jul 29,2021 09:41:54
[LAN access from remote] from 36.68.52.130:19298 to 192.168.0.xx:29975, Thursday, Jul 29,2021 09:41:12
[LAN access from remote] from 180.242.129.112:13890 to 192.168.0.xx:29975, Thursday, Jul 29,2021 09:41:07

problem is 192.168.0.xx is my main computer, and I couldnt work if I removed this computer from the network.

is this really the cause ?

is there really no other solution ?

ps : I might have to add the info : I never set port forwarding after accepting the router and reset factory it. so there should be no port forwarding active.

Message 10 of 14
antinode
Guru

> [LAN access from remote] from 36.73.32.212:13221 to192.168.0.xx:29975, Thursday, Jul 29,2021 09:42:54

There's no good reason to hide any part of a private IP address.

I don't recognize port 29975.  Are you running some kind of (game?)
server on the system?  Is UPnP enabled on the router?  DMZ server?

> [...] I never set port forwarding after accepting the router and reset
> factory it. so there should be no port forwarding active.

UPnP?  DMZ server?  Apparently, the router is sending some external
traffic to "192.168.0.xx:29975" for some reason, and explicit port
forwarding is only one of the three possibilities.

It's not obvious to me that that's related to your original
complaint, but I can't see everything from here.

Message 11 of 14
fire888
Guide

>There's no good reason to hide any part of a private IP address

---------

o ok

I just think since there are lots of attacks, it might be good to hide it lol.

anyway, it all points to the same ip, which is my computer

>   I don't recognize port 29975.  Are you running some kind of (game?)
server on the system?  Is UPnP enabled on the router?  DMZ server?

----------

yes I just found the problem. it is because of UPnP enabled.

it might be when I used torren or others on my computer ? But it was, not now. I didnt use any torren for now, and I have made sure to uninstall it. even disabled my vpn software.

btw, I think UPnP is required for ps5 and other consoles ?

I cannot find how to enable this only for ps5, so for now I turn it off. 

and the attack things gone. I havent tried it extensively, but I hope this not create more trouble for my ps5 and other consoles to connect to internet or some things.

no dmz set up yet (it used to point to my ps5 so I could remote play it from outside, but it has long been disabled as I reset the router several times till now already and didnt set it up again).

>   It's not obvious to me that that's related to your original
complaint, but I can't see everything from here.

-----------------

yeah I'm pretty sure this is not related to the complaint. But i need to solve this as I have to prove that the problem is the router not my computer, as the technician insisted that it was because of my computer as he couldnt find any other cause.

so now I have turned UPnP off, the attack gone, so we'll have to see this again in a few days if the matter solved or not.

many thx for the quick answers, I'll update again when there's new info

Message 12 of 14
antinode
Guru

> btw, I think UPnP is required for ps5 and other consoles ?

I don't know, but, if so, then I'd expect that explict port
forwarding could be used instead.

One problem with UPnP is that any program on any system on your LAN
might use it to allow incoming connections.  It might be convenient, but
I'd rather have more control over who can do what.

> [...] I'll update again when there's new info

Sounds good.

Message 13 of 14
fire888
Guide

ok. so I finally found the answer.

It was THE PRINTER.

When I unplugged the printer, the router functioned normal again at last. 

I have tried this for almost a month, and it's all good.

So, if u have the same problem, u could try to unplugged the printer.
It's not so good anyway. Netgear's printer feature is awkward at best (or at least on my R7000P).

So this case is closed.

But I just want to say, I found that netgear's support is dissapointing, and I feel like I've been cheated.

I bought this router because of netgear's big name, and I though I have a year (free worry) warranty. 

So as u can see from the date of this thread, this problem happened at jul-aug 2021, and if the warranty is a year, then I should still under warranty until around mid-late sept 2021. 

But netgear denied the support, and said that technical support only 90 days after purchased. 

It's so weird to have warranty for 1 year (or even 2 years as the support said), but technical support only 90 days. 

It was a nightmare trying to find the cause and support for this problem (for 2-3 months), and I was ready to throw this router away or even sell it cheap as garbage, luckily I found the cause myself, and it cost me to not use 1 of the feature (well which is not good implemented anyway).

I dont think I will want to buy netgear's product anymore. 1 time is enough.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7