Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R700p reboots randomly

Paul_Mc
Aspirant

R700p reboots randomly

Hello,

I am running into an issue where my R7000P will reboot itself during the day.  Not sure why this is happening but it is awful strange. I am trying to troubleshoot this but since it happens intermittently it is difficult to diagnose. I took a look on the web and it appears that the latest firware is 1.3.2.126.  I am running version 1.3.1.64_10.1.36 on the router.  When I go to the advanced tab and select check for firmware update it says No new firmware version is available.  So now I am suspect. 

I thought I would go to the logs and see if there was anyting in there that would give me a clue.  I go and try and send my self the logs but I cant seem to get the router to send anything to my gmail address.  I did some digging and I have tried smtp.gmail.com ports 465 and 587 but neither have worked.  I used to have the logs working on my R7000 router until that one died so I am not sure why it doesnt work with the 7000P. 

I turned off auto update today to see if that is causing the issue we will have to see.  I recently purchased the router and it was working fine for several months but now the router has become unreliable.  Working from home like everybody else has made this even more inportant.  Oh yeah also now that my College kids are taking their finals on line I cant afford to have the network go down.  The router is plugged inot a UPS so power supply to the router is not an issue.

Any Suggestions???

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: R700p reboots randomly

What I'd try first? updating the firmware to the newest version.

You can download it from the support site and manually update. 

get the firmware, manual, guides here: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r7000p

and heres a walk through of how to do it. 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

After updating, see if it works right, if it doesn't, do a factory reset and a clean install (not from backup). Reason why is the R7000P got the netgear armor upgrade and some old settings can sometimes cause issues.

If that doesn't help then we could potentially try downgrading to the version prior to netgear armor and see if it was an armor issue on your device. 

Message 2 of 11
Paul_Mc
Aspirant

Ok so I just was able to download and update the firmware.  I will have to monitor this and see if the re-boot issue is addressed.  I did stumble upon something that might be worth noting.  It appears that several weeks ago (10/27) I downloaded and installed the Netgear Genie software.  I am not sure if this caused the issue or not but I thought I would share it.

Message 3 of 11
Paul_Mc
Aspirant

12/7 Update Well still having an issue and th router was nice enough to drop right in the middle of one of my college students final very nice.  I will be doing a reset to factory later today.  COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.  It might be time to move my entire organization to another brand.  

Message 4 of 11
Paul_Mc
Aspirant

Re: R7000p reboots randomly

12/8 Well I did not get to factory reset the router yesterday and before I go forward I did some more looking.  Most of the posts point to not reloading the old config that I have saved.  Ouch!!   I have over 70 reserved addresses in the router and I really dont want to have to re-enter all those MAC addresses.  I came a cross a post where it indicated that I could use telnet to dump the addresses and then create a script to upload just those reservations.  By chance is there a way to just restore the address reservations and not the rest of the settings?

My guess is no but I figured I would ask.  The telnet approach did not work for me becasue I could not open the connection on port23.  When I looked online I found a description on how to get around this but it was 3 pages of instructions.  Any guidance here would be appreciated.

On another post I saw a mention that the firmware worth flashing would be 1.3.0.20 since this was before the Armor capability was introduced.  It appears that there are a lot of complaints about that.  

Thanks in advance

Message 5 of 11
antinode
Guru

> [...] Most of the posts point to not reloading the old config that I
> have saved. [...]

You can try it.  Then, if the problem persists, you can try a
settings reset and _not_ reloading.

> [...] I came a cross a post [...]

Thanks for the helpful link.

> [...] I could use telnet to dump the addresses and then create a
> script to upload just those reservations. [...]

Was this mentioned as a theoretical possibility, or were actual
instructions included?

> [...] is there a way to just restore the address reservations and not
> the rest of the settings?

Not, so far as I know, in any Netgear firmware.

> [...] The telnet approach did not work for me becasue I could not open
> the connection on port23. [...]

On the models (firmware versions) where Telnet access still works, it
must be enabled explicitly.  Some models have a "debug.htm" page on the
management web site which has such an option; others can be provoked
using an external program.  (I use the program which I modified:
http://antinode.info/nte/ , but a Web search for terms like, say,
"Netgear Telnet enable" should find others.)  I don't know what's true
for an R7000P with your firmware version.

But I doubt that this is a practical solution.

> On another post I saw [...]

Thanks for the helpful link.

Message 6 of 11
Paul_Mc
Aspirant

12/8 Ok this was a huge battle and I am not sure who won. I was able to get the config set back to factory.  That was the easy part.  Getting logged back into the router was another story.  You would think that I could just enter ip address of the router into the web browser and off we go.  That was not the case and I got stuck in this loop where the router would put up a config page and want to help me out.  I was concerned when the page address was routerlogin.net/genie_ads_hijack.htm.  I felt really uncomfortable entering the router PW there.

Once I got logged into the router I tried to restore the settings I saved earlier in the day.  I was unable to get those reloaded back into the router.  Maybe there was something corrupted in there after all.  Anyway I was fortunate to have saved the router settings from about 6 months prior.  I was able to restore those and my reservation table was about 90% accurate.  I guess that's not too bad.  I would be interested in hearing if anyone has seen that hihjack page before and whther or not ts legitimate.  I can say one thing I did notice is that now I can get to the Advanced -> Security -> Access Control page.  This was blank prior to the restore.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I will monitor the status to see if the router reboots itself.  Oh yeah I have turned off auto update and have saved a copy of the new config.   

Message 7 of 11
antinode
Guru

> [...] I was unable to get those reloaded back into the router. [...]

"unable" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

> [...] I would be interested in hearing if anyone has seen that
> hihjack page before and whther or not ts legitimate. [...]

Similar:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1740424

> [...] This was blank prior to the restore. [...]

"restore"?  Before the settings _reset_, or before restoring the old
".cfg" file?

Message 8 of 11
Paul_Mc
Aspirant

12/9 I will try and be a little more descriptive here sorry about the brevity.  Here are the steps I took to get the router back online and running. 

1) I downloaded the latest firmware manually from the Netgear support site v1.3.2.126_10.1.66

2) I updated the firmware on the Advanced->Router Update-> Browse for *.chk file

3) After the router rebooted I comfirmed the new firmware was in place

4) Manually reset router back to factory by using paper clip through hole in the back of router

5) After router rebooted entered 192.168.x.x in a web browser to log back into the router.

6) Web page loaded http:/routerlogin.net/genie_ads_hijack.htm

7) This gave me 3 options automated setup, manual setup, load previous settings or download netgear app and use this to setup router

😎 I selected manual setup and the web page asked for id and password of admin account to be set and eventually brought me back to the previous page in step 6

9) I selected load previous settings and I once again ended up on the web page for step 6

10) I believe using the automated setup I was able to finally get into the router. I was in the previous loop a couple of times due the name in the webpage and some concern there. Once I got logged into ther router I did not have any internet connection and the internet light on the router was orange.  This was also indicated on the Basic tab in the GUI

11) At this point I did see that the settings were back at the factory defaults.

12) I navigated to the Advanced->Admin->Router Update tab and selected browse and navigated to the previously saved .cfg file with my latest settings.  

13) I selected this file and the clicked on the upload button in the GUI and nothing happened. (Hard to believe) there was no error message no confirmation it was like the file didn't exist.  Not sure what was going on here.  

14) Browsed to an older backup file from 6 months prior and selected it and hit the upload button.  This time the gui popped up a messge that settings would be changed etc.  

15) After a reboot of the router the 6 month old settings seem to be back (awesome)

16) Now when I go to the routerlogin.net/genie_ads_hijack.htm page it opens up the router sign in dialog.

More Commentary: Prior to upgrading firmware and the reset to factory I did notice that when I navigated to Advanced->Security->Access Control tab the page would be blank with no data.  I believe the message displayed was unable to send data or something like that with an icon like a sad face.  Now this works fine.  Maybe this is a sign that something was corrupted in the config but I am not sure. So far the router seems to be behaving I will continue to monitor and add an update after a few days.  

Question:  I would have thought that if he router reboots I would get an indication in the log file.  Prior to going down this update path I had looked and did not see anything there althoughI know the router had rebooted.  If I hard reset the router I believe I see a internet disconnect and an internet connect indication in the log.  If the router reboots itself should I get this indication also?

Thanks for the help on this.  

Message 9 of 11
Paul_Mc
Aspirant

12/9 Latest update router rebooted again in the middle of a conference call withmy boss.  TIme for a new router.

Message 10 of 11
KAckerman
Aspirant

Hi.  My 2-year-old Netgear Nighthawk R7000P started rebooting randomly, sometimes every hour or two.  This started after I I upgraded modems.

I called Netgear Support.  I was already running the latest firmware.  They suggested a factory reset.  That didn't work.

I saw a suggestion on a message board to disable MU-MIMO.  I tried it about 2 weeks ago.  That solved the problem.  I think I had 3 more reboots over the next 24 ours or so, but things have been rock-solid ever since.  🙂

- Ken

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7