Aspirant

R7400 disconnects from Internet on every WAN DHCP lease renewal

Configuration
-------------
Netgear Nighthawk R7400 router connected to Surfboard SB6141 cable modem
Router firmware:  V1.2.0.92_1.0.1

Problem
-------
The router disconnects from the Internet for a number of seconds every time it renews the lease for the *WAN* IP address from my ISP.  LAN-side traffic does not appear to be affected.  Since my ISP is currently giving only one- or two-hour leases, the router disconnects numerous times per day, disrupting my work often.

The problem can also be reproduced at will by selecting
Advanced-Home->Connection-Status->Renew in the router BUI.

Each time the problem occurs, the router's WAN connection LED changes from white to amber, then back to white, and a pair of lines like these is written to the router log:

[Internet connected] IP address: xx.xx.xx.xx Sunday, July 31,2022 10:28:37
  [Internet disconnected] Sunday, July 31,2022 10:28:35

Although the above messages are only a couple of seconds apart, the user disruption is noticeably longer.

I've experienced this problem for a number of months, including while running the two prior versions of the router firmware.

I've factory-reset the cable modem and done multiple network resets to no avail.

I've seen reports in the community forums of similar issues with other router models, sometimes diagnosed to router firmware issues.

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R7400 disconnects from Internet on every WAN DHCP lease renewal

What is the CAT# lan cable between the modem and router? CAT6 is recommended. 

Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router?article=24311
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Shame the ISP renews WAN IPs every couple of hours. Really not need for this but I guess if thats what they do. 

Might try a different router as a test to see if something different does same thing or not. 

Message 2 of 5
WFHg
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.

The cable between the modem and the router is CAT 5, but it's only 6ft long.  The coax I can see (because it's not in the crawl space) leading to the modem all appears good.  The signal quality seems to be fine, whereas the DHCP-renewal-disconnect problem seems to be protocol/logic related.

I've previously factory-reset both the modem and the router and reset the network more than once, but I factory-reset the modem again today, then reset the network in the specified sequence.  The Internet disconnection on DHCP renewal problem was present after the network reset with the router in its factory configuration and is still present after I reconfigured the router to my settings.

Message 3 of 5
WFHg
Aspirant

I said:

"I've previously factory-reset both the modem and the router and reset the network more than once, but I factory-reset the modem again today, then reset the network in the specified sequence."

I actually factory reset the *router*, then reset the network in the proper sequence.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend trying a CAT6 LAN cable. CAT5 officially only supports 100Mpbs. WAN and LAN ports one the router and I presume your modem support 1000Mpbs. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly. Have them check there logs for any odd issues on there side when this is seen. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7