Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7500 Gigabit internet question

apachehavok
Aspirant

R7500 Gigabit internet question

Hey all!

I have the original nighthawk X4 7500.  Been working great.  Have a little gigabit LAN setup here and it handles all my devices.

I am upgrading my internet to Centurylink 1gbps.  They are actually DHCP in my area (something new they are doing in my area rather then a log in system) and was told I can use my own DHCP router.

Will the original X4 7500 with the latest firmware be able to handle the Gb speeds from WAN to lan ports?  I heard some routers cap it.

Any help appreciated!

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R7500 Gigabit internet question

No idea. 

Only thing you might try, if there is going to be a tech visit. Have him install there router, then connect up your router, use the ISP routers DMZ and put your routers IP address in to this DMZ on the ISP router and test. If you don't see anything aroun 700-900Mb then I would use the ISPs router and turn OFF all wifi on that router and connect up your 7500 in AP mode and use it as your wireless AP. LAN to LAN.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Something you might want to ask the ISP and NG support about. We've only seen a couple of NG router be able to support around 940Mb to 960Mb on the WAN side. There is no router that can handle any actual 1Gb or beyond that. 10Gb HW is needed for this. I've seen users report that the R7800 and R9000 seem to reach the mid 900s on the WAN. Some R9000 users can't seem to get passed 800Mb. You might check with smallnetbuilder.com as see if there is any test spec reviews for the R7500. 

One thing you can consider, if your ISP installs a ONT or Fiber unit that has a built in router, I would use this as the main host router so that you can ensure your getting full speeds, then use the R7500 in AP mode LAN to LAN connected to the ONT unit for your wireless. Then you'll be good. 

Main issue is that some routers don't have the HW or the CPU, HW accelleration and processing power to handle ~900Mb WAN speeds. 

Message 2 of 4
apachehavok
Aspirant

Thanks Furry.

They are allowing me to rent a technicolor router from them for 10 a month but the wireless coverage is terrible from what I heard in the reviews.

Might have to shell out the 10 a month and put it in bridge mode.

Any word on if the 7500 v1 caps speed at all?  Honestly I would be happy with even around the 750 range.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

No idea. 

Only thing you might try, if there is going to be a tech visit. Have him install there router, then connect up your router, use the ISP routers DMZ and put your routers IP address in to this DMZ on the ISP router and test. If you don't see anything aroun 700-900Mb then I would use the ISPs router and turn OFF all wifi on that router and connect up your 7500 in AP mode and use it as your wireless AP. LAN to LAN.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7