Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800: Channel 116-128 appears after 11 minutes with "Europe" region ???

TRJensen
Aspirant

R7800: Channel 116-128 appears after 11 minutes with "Europe" region ???

Hi All,

As I was trying to identify the best 5G Wifi Channel to use, I found what "may" be a bug in firmware.

Using any of firmware versions: V1.0.0.40, V1.0.0.30, V1.0.0.28

In Wifi Channel Setup - I choose "Europe" as region - then if I change 5G channel, then I have following timings before the 5G signal becomes visible in my devices (Chromecast 2 and Galaxy S6 Edge+).

Channel 36-44: My devices connects after 30 seconds.
Channel 52-64: My devices connects after 90 seconds.
Channel 100-112: My devices connects after 90 seconds.
Channel 116-128: My devices connects after 360 seconds (~ 11 minutes).
Channel 132-140: My devices connects after 90 seconds.

Interestingly if I swich region to use "Japan" region (which has same setup as Europe) - then max waiting time before signal appears is 90 seconds.

Also for channel 116 to 128.

This may be a bug (an odd bug indeed) in my device only - but it may as well be a general bug in the firmware.

Before sending my devices in for a replacement/repair, I wanted to check if any of you guys see same issue:

TEST STEP:

1. In router configuration do following:

2. Set region to "Europe".

2. Change 5G channel to 128.

3. Hit apply.

4. Measure time before you see the signal appearing in your mobile device.

Try optionally with Channel 112 for reference as well.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
marsh_66
Initiate

Re: R7800: Channel 116-128 appears after 11 minutes with "Europe" region ???

For an EU ETSI CE marked AP/GW  , I am surprised that  this can be selected  as this would provide  additional channels 34-46 which

are not part /not allowed in the ETSI group ?

regards the 11 minutes to light up channel 116-128 . This is expected behaviour  for the  ETSI region as those channels are Weather Radar related DFS channels,  which have a 10 minute CAC timer applied . For those  particular channels , Transmit  is not allowed till at least 10 minutes of clear channel has been monitored . Some retail routers are blocked from using the weather channels or even any DFS channels at all ,  purely becuse they cause lots of customer calls .  

Jocmacplop

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: R7800: Channel 116-128 appears after 11 minutes with "Europa region" ???

Which region are you located?

In some regions it uses DFS which takes longer to authenticate.

It's always recommended to select the region of your location in order to conform with FCC rules.

Message 2 of 5
TRJensen
Aspirant

Hi,

I am in Europe region. I only used Japan region for testing.

The DFS rules apply to channel 52 to 140. There are no difference between Japan and Europe region (channel width and signal strength may differ).

From my testing i see the DFS channels become visible after 90 seconds of change. But for some odd reason i never see the signal appearing for channel 116 to 128 when using Europe region setting (no signal after 5 minutes).

If I switch toto Japan region (for testing) - then all DFS channels appear after 90 seconds.
Message 3 of 5
marsh_66
Initiate

For an EU ETSI CE marked AP/GW  , I am surprised that  this can be selected  as this would provide  additional channels 34-46 which

are not part /not allowed in the ETSI group ?

regards the 11 minutes to light up channel 116-128 . This is expected behaviour  for the  ETSI region as those channels are Weather Radar related DFS channels,  which have a 10 minute CAC timer applied . For those  particular channels , Transmit  is not allowed till at least 10 minutes of clear channel has been monitored . Some retail routers are blocked from using the weather channels or even any DFS channels at all ,  purely becuse they cause lots of customer calls .  

Jocmacplop

Message 4 of 5
TRJensen
Aspirant

Thank you for the info. This may explain the behaviour I see.
I did not wait beyond the 5 minutes befor changing settings.

Unfortunately the router was send in for a replacement as suggestdd by a Netgear supporter. There was probably no reasonreason for that.

Do you have a link to the info for reference?

Thanks
Thomas
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7