Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7800 DNS entry

Ferris11
Aspirant

R7800 DNS entry

I recently installed an r7800 to be the primary router in my house from Fios.  I used the Verizon one previously. I have an amazon fire stick and had to enter a dns entry to stream service that I use.  I was able to do it on the junky fios router but I can't seem to find where to do it on this one.  Can someone please point me to the right location where I can enter a DNS entry and corresponding IP?  

Thanks

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
RMinNJ
Luminary

There is a way to do it..     Granted i am running Voxels firmware but its based on netgears .. hope NGs is similiar..

0.) Telnet into the router   (ssh if voxels)

To test temporarily;

1.)  vi /tmp/dnsmasq.conf 

add the entry(s) you want to the bottom of the file with lines like;

address=/bartsimpson.domain1.com/192.168.0.2

2.) restart dnsmasq

/etc/init.d/dnsmasq stop

/etc/init.d/dnsmasq start

3.) On your client/device   (not the router) do a dns lookup or try to resolve  bartsimpson.domain1.com

To make the change permanent  add the line to /etc/dnsmasq-resolv.conf   and restart 

the 7800.

So no I could not find a place in the  GUI to add static entries but 7800 is running an OS

capable of doing it..

View solution in original post

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 8 of 10

All Replies
labatt
Mentor

Go to this support site and put in your router model. You will be taken to a page where you can download the user manual. can find what you currently want and more. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Message 2 of 10
Ferris11
Aspirant

I appreciate the RTFM advice, but I think my request is a bit different:

I want to manually put a DNS entry as follows:

whatever.com 1.2.3.4

Just like in a host file.

Is there a way to input something like this on a Netgear router? Is there a host file that I can modify that will take priority over DNS queries?

Thanks

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 3 of 10
antinode
Guru

> [...] Is there a host file that I can modify that will take priority
> over DNS queries?

I can't recall seeing a consumer-grade Netgear router which has that
feature (a user-configurable DNS server).

> [...] I have an amazon fire stick and had to enter a dns entry to
> stream service that I use. [...]

What, exactly, needs a DNS name, and why? If it's not on your LAN,
then how would you be getting its address?  If it is on your LAN, then
why can't you use its IP address?

What is the actual problem which you are trying to solve?

Message 4 of 10
Ferris11
Aspirant

There is a service that I stream from that does not have a public DNS name.  To use this service on the fire stick, I have to use the app which specifies a DNS name.

So I have to be able to resolve that DNS name to a specific IP address for the app to work.

Thanks

Message 5 of 10
RMinNJ
Luminary

The router does have an  /etc/hosts file.    If you turn on telnet you can log into the router as root and  add the entry you want.   As to whether that helps a client device resolve the name I do not think it will...didnt work for me..    Your saying the old router let you add hosts file entries (via the UI)  that the clients were able to then resolve ?

Message 6 of 10
Ferris11
Aspirant

I did get around it by adding an entry on the Firestick through a virtual IP app.

But to answer your question, Yes.  The router that came with my Fios service allows me to put in entries so I can define what IP's resolve to what DNS names.

Since it's performing DHCP functions - essentially performing DNS services for my internal network, it would seem a fairly easy modification.  

Oh well.  I got around it, but to think that a crappy 7 year old Fios router has this capability and that Netgear doesn't is surprising to me.  It wasn't a feature that I thought I had to look for in a router before I bought it.  

Message 7 of 10
RMinNJ
Luminary

There is a way to do it..     Granted i am running Voxels firmware but its based on netgears .. hope NGs is similiar..

0.) Telnet into the router   (ssh if voxels)

To test temporarily;

1.)  vi /tmp/dnsmasq.conf 

add the entry(s) you want to the bottom of the file with lines like;

address=/bartsimpson.domain1.com/192.168.0.2

2.) restart dnsmasq

/etc/init.d/dnsmasq stop

/etc/init.d/dnsmasq start

3.) On your client/device   (not the router) do a dns lookup or try to resolve  bartsimpson.domain1.com

To make the change permanent  add the line to /etc/dnsmasq-resolv.conf   and restart 

the 7800.

So no I could not find a place in the  GUI to add static entries but 7800 is running an OS

capable of doing it..

Message 8 of 10
labatt
Mentor

This KB will show you how to set dns server. Just a FYI it only allows external DNS servers. Last I knew you could not use a DNS server on your network using the local network IP address range.

https://kb.netgear.com/30510/How-do-I-set-static-Domain-Name-System-servers-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 9 of 10
Ferris11
Aspirant

I was looking at dnsmasq file but wasn't sure how to modify it.

Thanks for the help!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7