Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7800 FW 1.0.2.90 Unable to enable VPN

RangerZ
Aspirant

R7800 FW 1.0.2.90 Unable to enable VPN

I have just promoted a Nighthawk X4S R7800 from AP duty to Router.  I have upgraded the firmware to 1.0.2.90 from 1.0.2.46. 

When I open the menu to configure VPN and click the Apply button I get a message suggesting I use a DDNS server or a Static IP address.  I am unable to "engage" the VPN and use my DHCP address, which for all practical purposes never changes.

Am I missing something?  Do I need to set the WAN IP as fixed with my current IP to use an IP address as opposed to a DDNS server?

Message 1 of 4
Kitsap
Master

@RangerZ wrote:

I have just promoted a Nighthawk X4S R7800 from AP duty to Router.  I have upgraded the firmware to 1.0.2.90 from 1.0.2.46. 

When I open the menu to configure VPN and click the Apply button I get a message suggesting I use a DDNS server or a Static IP address.  I am unable to "engage" the VPN and use my DHCP address, which for all practical purposes never changes.

Am I missing something?  Do I need to set the WAN IP as fixed with my current IP to use an IP address as opposed to a DDNS server?

From Advanced -> Setup -> Internet Setup:

You need to set your Static IP Address information first.  If you have your configuration set to get your internet  IP address dynamically from your ISP, note your IP address, IP subnet mask, and gateway IP address.  Select use static IP address and enter the information.  Select Apply and reboot your router before making any more changes.

After making the changes and rebooting the router, go to the same settings page and verify your static IP information did not change.

From Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> VPN Service, you should be able to enable your OpenVPN server without the DDNS message.

Message 2 of 4
RangerZ
Aspirant

Thank you.  So I guess I was miss reading the message, which I interpreted as a "Suggestion".  I have not seen this as a requirement with other platforms I have used. 

Indirectly related, do you know if the generated OVPN config file also work with the Official OpenVPN Connect, which is already installed, or do I need to use the Community Build?

I'm not onsite so it may not get done for a week or so.

Message 3 of 4
Kitsap
Master

@RangerZ wrote:

Thank you.  So I guess I was miss reading the message, which I interpreted as a "Suggestion".  I have not seen this as a requirement with other platforms I have used. 

Indirectly related, do you know if the generated OVPN config file also work with the Official OpenVPN Connect, which is already installed, or do I need to use the Community Build?

I'm not onsite so it may not get done for a week or so.

If you take it as a suggestion and it does not work, interpret the other way.

For most setups I have been involved with, the end user either chose a free DDNS service like from Netgear or for reliability chose a paid service like NOIP.  Some end users did have a static IP provided by their ISP with the full address, mask, and gateway details provided.

See here:  https://kb.netgear.com/23860/How-do-I-set-up-a-NETGEAR-Dynamic-DNS-account-on-my-NETGEAR-router

For windows computers, I use the Community Download programs.  For phones/tablets with Android, use the Official OpenVPN Connect from the Play Store.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7