Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7800 Issues with 1.0.2.40

Killhippie
Prodigy

R7800 Issues with 1.0.2.40

I tried the latest firmware for the R7800 version 1.0.2.40 and it was a mess for me. After updating and doing a hard reset I could change the network names but not the passwords that the router comes with, I just got a
'400 Bad Request -Server does not support operation' message Also on QoS when manually changing device to say iPad it would give a blank screen and not complete the task yet on other devices there was no issue at all. Basically I had to go back to 1.0.2.38 and then all these issues went away. No idea whats going on here, but something seems very wrong with this new update.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
pec967
Luminary

I set up a new R7800 today that will be a Christmas present. I loaded firmware version 1.0.2.40 followed by a hard Reset. I had no trouble setting a new Wi-Fi password on both 2.4 and 5 GHz. The only difference I see from your settings is that the Wi-Fi password is relatively short, 10 characters. I wonder what would happen if you used a Wi-Fi password a few characters shorter since you are at what is supposed to be the max length? I did not see any problems during setup, but I did not configure QoS. I used the most recent version of Chrome.

I have not tried to update my own R7800 after seeing your post 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10

All Replies
Killhippie
Prodigy

I have tested this issue with three browsers and it still happens. I have no idea whats going wrong here but its not good, 1.0.2.38 works fine but the latest version 1.0.2.40 causes a 400 Bad Request -Server does not support operation when changing wifi passwords, and some pages on QoS are blank others show the device and let you say identify the device if the QoS does not which it does far to often. Go back to 1.0.2.38 and all these problems vanish. Anyone else had issues with 1.0.2.40 after a hard reset? I have hard reset between each change of firmware and this issues persists on the latest version. <sigh>

Bad Request -Server/Client does not support operation
Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 2 of 10
BoDEAN
Apprentice

Why is netgear silent on this issue?

Message 3 of 10
pec967
Luminary

I set up a new R7800 today that will be a Christmas present. I loaded firmware version 1.0.2.40 followed by a hard Reset. I had no trouble setting a new Wi-Fi password on both 2.4 and 5 GHz. The only difference I see from your settings is that the Wi-Fi password is relatively short, 10 characters. I wonder what would happen if you used a Wi-Fi password a few characters shorter since you are at what is supposed to be the max length? I did not see any problems during setup, but I did not configure QoS. I used the most recent version of Chrome.

I have not tried to update my own R7800 after seeing your post 🙂

Message 4 of 10
Killhippie
Prodigy

I'm using a imac running high sierra and iOS 11 devices, I'm starting to wonder if that is the issue. I tried shorter passwods, still the server error. QoS also only lets you change priority on certain devices, not others, and its the same decvices each time. Also its slowing down my single thread speed tests which it didnt  on 1.0.2.38 I'm totally lost here.

Message 5 of 10
Killhippie
Prodigy

After reloading 1.0.2.40 again and douing a 30:30:30 reset I found out that with this update it would not accept my 63 digit ASCII password, but because updating over the top worked it was somehow okay (it didnt flag this wifi passowrd problem) which then totally messed up QoS as well, not sure how that all works together and why some pages would work and others would not in QoS, but Netgear messed up. I have been using a 63 digit ASCII since forever, on all my routers. On this update it caused everything to get messed up sadly and I have had my R7800 since release so I had no reason to think the wifi password would be the issue. Thanks for the tip. I got there in the end

Message 6 of 10
01R
Luminary
Luminary

i still havent updated does it  realy have a speed problem ?

Message 7 of 10
Killhippie
Prodigy

For myself it showed a drop in single threaded speeds over multi threaded. This could be caused by the password issues conflicting with QoS (which still didn't work properly in 1.0.2.40 either) even with a new passwords. For now I have gone back to 1.0.2.38 as I use a 63 ASCII password and want to continue to use it. 1.0.2.40 for many will be fine but with 11 devices using QoS and all using very long password's it just didn't work for myself as many would throw up a blank page when you tried to name them, or alter priority as it set everything on low and stayed there. Not great for a PlayStation Pro with low priority. If you are interested hop over to smallnetbuilder and check out Voxels firmware, its basically stock firmware with many packages brought up to date that for soime reason Netgear wont do, its better than stock in so many ways. I'll go back to it I just need a day off updating firmware on routers I'm mortified this was released and since I'm well out of the 90 days contact period who do I tell? <sigh>

Message 8 of 10
pec967
Luminary

I upgraded my R7800 to version 1.0.2.40 yesterday, without a reset, and everything has been fine so far. My Wi-Fi password is ~20 ASCII characters and I do not use QoS, however. Testing with speedtest.net to my local ISP, download speeds are about what I usually see at 6:00 am local time - wired 900 Mbps down, Wi-Fi 2-stream ac to three-year old laptop 480 Mbps down, and iPhone 8 Wi-Fi 340 Mbps down. My ISP service is 1 Gbps down and 50 Mbps up.

Message 9 of 10
Killhippie
Prodigy

20 ASCII is fine 63 is not for some reason. If you install and do not reset you can use 63 ASCII but if you need to reset for some reason you can't use 63 ASCII without the 400 server error, you can use 62 ASCII though so something is very wrong there.
 QoS is needed for me so saying "I upgraded my R7800 to version 1.0.2.40 yesterday, without a reset, and everything has been fine so far" is not comparable with my password or use of QoS (no offence meant here) 

I have a lowly 55Mbps down and 18Mbps up on FTTC in the UK. So I'm on DSL you are on fibre, we cant really compare. As I said a password thats not 63 ASCII is fine, but QoS is still a mess with random blank pages for me, and since 1.0.2.38 causes none of these issues it has to be the firmware, belive me ive tested for 3 days with multiple configurations of passwords and QoS. I'm wondering if ARP is part of this QoS mess but I have to run the updated version after the security misconfiguration warning on Netgears security page, but this firmware has issues.

Now as to speed, speedtest.net only uses multi threaded speed tests not single threaded, Single are used for streaming etc Multi for downloading etc. So speedtest.net will show my speeds as great as it uses multiple streams but using a speedtester that analyses both is when you see the issue. Now this may just be a glitch with my provider it may be nothing to do with the , but after the mess with password and QoS being stuck on low on things like gaming consoles and getting a blank page when you try to change that priority to high (its what gaming consoles are) all bets are off until I can try to get this looked at by after the holidays by Netgear

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7