Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 Non-Responsive

Brownk
Aspirant

R7800 Non-Responsive

I am having trouble accessing my R7000 Router.

We experienced a power failure and I turned off our DSL Modem/Router and R7000 Router and disconnected power.  When the electricity came back on, I powered up the Routers.  Strangely, the R7000 was not providing any Wi-Fi broadcast, from either 2.2 or 5 GHz.  The Wi-Fi light was illuminated, but neither of the 2.2 or 5 GHz. were illuminated.

I was able to access the router via Ethernet and was able to access the router’s menu.  It showed the Wi-Fi was off on the status page, but according to the both configuration pages, everything was turned on?

Since I could not get the Wi-Fi signals to broadcast, I decided to factory reset and re-config the router.  Now I cannot access the router menu. I have tried two computers and multiple browsers.  It either states the server cannot be found or the router is busy.  The minute I connect an Ethernet cable, the port becomes active (flashing light) and data is being sent and received, immediately.  I believe this is why I cannot access the router, because it is transmitting data.

The router was setup behind an AT&T DSL Router/Modem via a WAN port, per AT&T.  Only the R7000 was broadcasting Wi-FI.

I have tried everything.  Resetting the R7000 to factory, hard resetting, power cycling, verify the ports work and nothing seems to remedy the problem.

Since using a browser will not work, I figure the only hope would be trying to access the router via command line.  I have never done so, but fear the firmware has become corrupted.

Should I attempt uploading clean firmware via TFTP?  Or, is there a less complex solution that I am not aware of, yet?  Since the router seems to be in a constant state of transmission, not sure if it would allow uploading firmware.

I am using Apple hardware running OS 10.13 (High Sierra).

Any assistance would be much appreciated.  I would hate to lose the router, as we have had no unresolvable issues, prior.  Nothing that a factory reset didn’t resolve.  Very strange predicament.

Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R7000 Non-Responsive

What's seen on the 7000s web page under basic? 

Please post a screen capture here however edit out the SSID name and PW before posting.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Are the wifi LEDs on the top of the router ON? 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended.
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

Message 2 of 17
Brownk
Aspirant

Thanks for the prompt reply FURRYe38.

First, I should note that we actually have a R7800, not a R7000.

The Firmware version was 1.0.2.90.

I have a suspicion as to what happened, but it doesn't explain why the 2.2 and 5 GHz signals were not broadcasting (and still do not).

The problem may have been a bad sequence of events that ultimately left the router with partial/corrupted firmware.

When the AT&T Modem/Router came back online, it misconfigured and yet would still access the internet.  Unfortunately, when I factory reset the R7800, it defaulted to automatically update the firmware.  The router was configured to not do this, as I prefer to check the firmware manually and if need be, download and upload.  I was unaware that new firmware (v1.0.2.92) was posted, recently.  So the unit started to update the firmware through the misconfigured AT&T Modem/Router.  Unfortunately, it was only after I reset the R7800 and sat down with my tablet, that I received  a prompt that something was wrong with the AT&T Modem/Router.  By then, the damage was done.

Since the firmware was corrupted, I cannot access the R7800 menu via a browser.  That an incomplete firmware update has "bricked" the router.  Now it is lost in some incomplete process and will not stop.

This leads me to believe the only hope is to try and upload clean firmware via TFTP and a command line.  My concern is that since the router is active the minute it is connected to a WAN port, will this approach work?

Regarding DMZ, this was second approach recommended by AT&T.  There was no instructions regarding my specific Modem/Router.  Found instructions for another model and assume the approach would basically be the same.  Our AT&T Modem Router doesn't do "Bridge Mode" in the purest sense.  Because I  am not the best versed in Networking, I was hesitant to use this approach.  Feared it would expose our Network to vulnerabilities beyond my comprehension or visibility.  I just started using this approach with the AT&T Modem/Router, recently.  Prior, I was using an old Netgear Modem/Router in Bridge Mode, but that model hadn't seen a firmware update in years (DM111PSPv2).  I figured it as alright, because it was just acting as a Modem and the R7800 managed the rest.

Even connecting the R7800 to my old old Modem/Router in Bridge Mode doesn't help.  Thought being that there should be no conflict that might be part of essentially running two two routers.  I cannot access the Internet nor access the R7800 menu.  As soon as I connect to a WAN port, the unit starts sending/receiving packets at about 1 per second.  The Router will not stop communicating, which prevents accessing the menu.  That or that the firmware is too corrupted to function, properly.

Once again, thanks for your assistance in the matter.  If I can get the R7800 to work again, I will consider using the ISP provided equipment and the R7800 in DMZ.  Not sure if I should just stick with the less complex approach of using the old Netgear Modem/Router in Bridge Mode and the R7800, combination?

Message 3 of 17

@Brownk wrote:

The problem may have been a bad sequence of events that ultimately left the router with partial/corrupted firmware.

This can happen, but rarely. When it does, people usually manage to manually update the firmware.

If the power LED is as expected, solid white, that would be a first move.

When the AT&T Modem/Router came back online, it misconfigured and yet would still access the internet.  Unfortunately, when I factory reset the R7800, it defaulted to automatically update the firmware.  ?

You can prevent that from happening by resetting the R7800 and keeping it of line as it goes through its wizardry. (You should also be able to stop that from happening in the first place.)

You can then manually update the firmware and set it up to prevent automated updates. (I also disable password recovery, which has its own "closed loop" gotcha.)

There are various other tricks, some of which I had to get into when testing the R7800 hardware for another purpose. But the first move should be to try the simplest and safest,

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 17
Brownk
Aspirant

I cannot get the unit to do a complete factory reset.  It clearly is partially resetting, because the unit has defaulted to the IP of 192.168.1.1, but the 2.2 And 5 GHz status lights remain dim even though the Wi-Fi light is on.  A browser will not access the units menu.  It immediately errors with cannot find the server or that the unit is busy.  Whatever WAN port I use exhibits activity, immediately, without even opening a browser.  Once I open a browser and try to access the units menu, to activity gets worse.  Cannot get the unit to stop communicating; like it is stuck in a transmission loop, or something.  That is why I felt the only hope was to try and access the unit via a command line (sans using a browser, altogether).

Once again for clarification.  Unit will not do a complete factory reset and a browser will not access the units menu, because the unit is busy.  Busy doing what?  I have no idea.  At least 1 packet a second and will not cease communicating.

I will try another “hard” reset.  That being hold the reset for 30 seconds, unplug unit while still pressing reset for 30 seconds and while still continuing to hold the reset - reattach the

for power and wait for 30 seconds.

Message 5 of 17

@Brownk wrote:

I will try another “hard” reset.  That being hold the reset for 30 seconds, unplug unit while still pressing reset for 30 seconds and while still continuing to hold the reset - reattach the

for power and wait for 30 seconds.

That's worth trying.

It is not advised for newer routers. Doesn't work either.

Have you tried aiming TFTP at the thing?

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You mention it earlier and are wise to look for simpler methods first. But there comes a time when you have to bit the bullet.

You are on your own when it comes to TFTP on Macs. They do seem to be more protective of users – blocking things that come naturally to Windows users – but I'm sure someone has worked out what to do.

DrayTek Firmware Recovery using Mac OS X TFTP Utility

Different kit, same approach.

If the R7800 isn't completely dead – no amber power LED – you may not need to jump through hoops to get TFTP to work.

but the 2.2 And 5 GHz status lights remain dim even though the Wi-Fi light is on.  

I assume that the SSID is not being broadcast.

Have you tried a different power adapter? Dim LEDs could be down to that.

Does the thing respond to the wifi on/off switch?

Some of your earlier comments don't make sense to me. Probably because I don't know enough to understand them. This bit for example:

The minute I connect an Ethernet cable, the port becomes active (flashing light) and data is being sent and received, immediately. I believe this is why I cannot access the router, because it is transmitting data.

I can't see how "transmitting date" would deny you access. That's how routers work.

If transmitting data was an issue, you would never be able to access the router or get it to update the firmware automatically. These are "synchronous" operations. The router happily does its thing and doesn't get in your way until the firmware is written and the router decides to reboot itself. Until then it is business as usual.

My R7800 updated itself yesterday (to R7800-V1.0.2.92). I decided to allow the on-board update for fun's sake. No problem.

AC2600 WiFi Router (R7800) 

Message 6 of 17
Brownk
Aspirant

Alright, I performed another “hard” reset.  

After the reset, the unit only would produce one white power light.  

I hooked up WAN1 on the R7800 to WAN1 on the AT&T Modem/Router and this produced an orange light on the R7800 WAN1.  The AT&T Modem/Router showed a connection on WAN1 and slight activity, but when accessing its menu, the unit wasn’t represented.

I then connected the Computer to the R7800 WAN2 and received a white flashing light.  Activity had slowed on this port, but I still not access the menu, because the unit was busy.  The unit was clearly connected to the AT&T Modem/Router, because I could see its IP via Network settings.

I then hooked the Computer up to the AT&T Modem/Router at WAN2 and could see that the the Computer was attached via the menu, but that R7800 was not, even though unit was clearly attached to WAN1 via the activity lights?

I then, again, attached the R7800 to the old Netgear Modem/Router in Bridge Mode and still could not access the R7800 menu.  Naturally, I couldn’t get online, because the R7800 has no login data.

So again, the R7800 has been reset and has no configuration data and I cannot access the menu.

Message 7 of 17
Brownk
Aspirant

Truly confused by the situation.  I figure the only hope is to try TFTP, but wanted to try all other solutions, prior.

I found the following and figured I would do as it instructed 

https://kb.netgear.com/000064624/How-do-I-upload-firmware-to-my-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-on-Apple-m...

I have not seen the 2.2 and 5 GHz lights illuminate since the power outage.  The Wi-Fi light would illuminate, but since the last hard reset, It has not.  Although, I didn’t try holding the button down to invoke it.

Message 8 of 17
Brownk
Aspirant

The Wi-Fi was merely turned off.

This is another sign the unit is not doing a complete factory reset.  Even though the Wi-Fi was turned off, a factory reset set should have turned it back on, yes?  I had powered Wi-Fi off, best the antennas refuse to broadcast.

Just unplugged the power supply and will see if leaving it without power does anything.

Considering contacting my ISP.  Could they have blocked my 3rd party router.

Message 9 of 17

@Brownk wrote:

The Wi-Fi was merely turned off.

This is another sign the unit is not doing a complete factory reset.  Even though the Wi-Fi was turned off, a factory reset set should have turned it back on, yes?  I had powered Wi-Fi off, best the antennas refuse to broadcast.

Not necessarily.

There seems to be a strange interaction on some devices between the physical and software switches. The physical switch is just that. Off = off. You can't then control it with the GUI.

Can you see the SSIDs with the wifi switched on?

The more I read of your travails, the less I understand what is going on.

This is partly because you are playing around with two routers on the network.

The only way to rule out that complication is to work with the R7800, and nothing else, connected to a PC.

Troubleshooting is best done by stripping back to basics.

Considering contacting my ISP.  Could they have blocked my 3rd party router.

Highly unlikely, especially with a DSL service, where the ISP doesn't have the same control over the modem as cable ISPs. But the modem/router that sits between the R7800 and the Internet will certainly affect what happens.

Then again, AT&T has been know to supply quirky modems, including devices that cannot work in bridge (modem only) mode. (My ISP is equally user hostile.)

I can't see any reference to the make and model of your current modem/router.

Message 10 of 17
Brownk
Aspirant

Michael,

If you are referring to the ISP AT&T Modem/Router, it is a Netgear 7550.

Normally, I ran the old Netgear Modem/Router (DM111PSPv2) in Bridge Mode and had the R7800 handle everything.

We have had serious Internet issue’s over the years.  We live in a rural environment and on DSL with a maximum of 6 Mbps.

The last Technician suggested running the R7800 behind the ISP supplied Modem.  Normally, we would run either just the ISP supplied device or the prior mentioned Netgear/Netgear setup.

We had been experiencing constant disconnects, so I thought I would try a different configuration.  I regret doing so, now.

Why the R7800 refuses to do a complete factory reset is confusing.

Throughout or issue’s, I have had a vehicle on our property line that seems to be running a hotspot.  I have watched for this vehicle to move and it has not.

I have tried working with the R7800 connected to just a computer, but if cannot get the thing to factory reset and access it’s menu, it seems I am dead in the water.

I have become suspect that somebody has spoofed the router.

I try to eliminate all interference.  Turn off our two tablets, unplug our computer, unplug our smart tv, disconnect and unplug our ISP equipment, but I cannot escape the Wi-Fi from our Neighbor’s.  We live in the middle of five acres and the amount of Wi-Fi in the area is unbelievable.

Only thing I know to do is try TFTP via a command line.  Hesitant, though.

Message 11 of 17

@Brownk wrote:

If you are referring to the ISP AT&T Modem/Router, it is a Netgear 7550.

One of those custom jobs that you can't buy out in the consumer world.

Now pretty ancient. Can it really date back to 2008?

Is this why it is not possible to login to the #browser graphical user interface (GUI)?

Message 12 of 17
Brownk
Aspirant

Re: R7800 Non-Responsive

I generally have not been using the ISP equipment with the R7800, since the trouble began, because it will not work.  I have been using a computer that is not connected to the Internet.

Don’t get me started on AT&T.  That would lead to a very long tirade.  Unfortunately, they as usual, are the cheapest internet in our area.  They are the only wired, also.

We have been on the same account for sixteen years.  Seems DSL went legacy almost a decade ago.  Other than AT&T wired, it is all wireless or satellite.

I complained to AT&T that our Neighbors were spoofing our internet.  Finally caught a neighbor spoofing via capturing their router using our SSID.  Even tough I had a screen print, they would do nothing without something from law enforcement.

Our original ISP Modem died (Siemens Soundstream?).  Since we were on legacy status, we bought the Netgear DM111PSPv2 as a replacement.  The AT&T unit was expensive and we our on legacy status!

In the years past, still having problems, I contacted AT&T support.  I figured our Network was still being spoofed.  I asked whether we showed as being connected to the AT&T Server and we were, but it showed no activity even though I was on the internet.  That is why I have the AT&T ISP Netgear 7550.  The Support Tech was alarmed and sent me a free unit.  Something they had refused to do in the past.

From what I can tell, AT&T buys discontinued equipment and installs their own firmware on the unit.

We always used non-wireless via Ethernet.  In 2017, my Wife got an iPad, so we needed a Wi-Fi Router.  We chose an AirPort Extreme hooked up to the Netgear DM111PSPv2.  It was being spoofed (noted above).  Started using the ISP supplied Netgear 7550, but it had spotty performance, so we bought the Netgear R7800 and went back to the DM111PSPv2.  Started experiencing disconnects, recently, and decided to try the R7800 behind the ISP Netgear 7550.   Now, as per this thread, the R7800 is not working.

Years ago, all DSL Modem based units disappeared in unity.   Conspiracy?

Message 13 of 17

@Brownk wrote:

Years ago, all DSL Modem based units disappeared in unity.   Conspiracy?

Indeed. But not a conspiracy by Netgear.

Anyone familiar with cable internet knows that ISPs insist on having control over modems. They are the only ones that can update firmware. Neither Netgear nor users have any control.

Talking to the network operator behind by my Internet service, I gather that they have told ISPs to provide customers with modem/router combinations. As a result, there are very few modem only options in the DSL market.

By good luck I got a Netgear DM200 just before they went off the shelves. When I wanted a second DM200, for my other line, I managed to get one of those "opened box" offerings.

These things come up from time to time at reasonable prices on the usual on-line second-hand store.

I use an R7800 with one of these.

I complained to AT&T that our Neighbors were spoofing our internet.  Finally caught a neighbor spoofing via capturing their router using our SSID.  Even tough I had a screen print, they would do nothing without something from law enforcement.

The usual way to deal with that is to use a strong password and then to set the router to block all unknown devices from connecting to the wifi.

You can also hide the SSID, but that will not keep out a truly determined, and technically competent, intruder.

Message 14 of 17
Brownk
Aspirant

This thread has seemed to of moved beyond its intent.  

Regarding the security aspects, we use a long chaotic password, a VPN to force encryption and did have thing’s setup so only known MAC addresses were allowed access.  The truth is that there is too many parties involved that can exploit your privacy.  Whether Netgear is trustworthy was not questioned.  By design, there are just numerous angles of possible intrusion.  I have never had any degree of trust.  If we made internet purchases, we finalize purchases by calling in our credit card.  Now, that has become hard to do.

Common sense says the internet needs to be secure.  An insecure internet undermines the whole system.  From a business standpoint, it is counter productive.

Those in power can create “holes”, but those “holes” will be exploited by others beyond them.  It is already happening.

Is there really such thing as a secure internet?  Unfortunately everything, it seems, has been attached to it.  All the more reason for it to be secured.  It is a huge philosophical conversation that touches on almost all aspects of human nature.  Thing’s better discussed elsewhere.

I just want to my router to function!

Message 15 of 17
Brownk
Aspirant

So, as a last attempt to revive my R7800, I have attempted uploading the firmware via TFTP.

The first attempt produced an error of “Network not found”.

Therefore, I have some questions:

1 - Should the Ethernet capable be attached to a WAN port, not the Ethernet port (yellow vs black - which I assume is the LAN port?)?

2- I assume there should a space after functions “cd” and “put”?

3- The instructions said to turn the unit off for 10 seconds prior to executing the “put” function.  Stated to wait for the power light to start flashing orange, before executing “put” function.  The power light never started to flash orange?

4- Is there a way to clear the flash memory on the router, before trying TFTP?

Thanks.

Message 16 of 17

@Brownk wrote:

So, as a last attempt to revive my R7800, I have attempted uploading the firmware via TFTP.

Try following the video:

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7