Sario27
Aspirant

R7800 WiFi Ping Spikes/poor performance

My setup: 

Router: Nighthawk X4S AC2600 R7800

Firmware: V1.0.2.60

Service Provider: SumoFiber

Speed Router is receiving: 630Mbps down | 950Mbps up

We have multi wired and wireless gaming consoles, and devices, and while the hard wired machines have no issues at all, all the wireless devices seem to be suffering greatly. With wireless gaming ping spikes constantly and, and random disconnects from the echo dot, and smart LED's. I have seriously considering returning this router, I understand there was an issue with 1.0.2.58, and users reported that downgrading to .52 fixed the issue, did .60 not solve the issue? 

What are options rather than downgrading 2 versions back?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

Re: R7800 WiFi Ping Spikes/poor performance

these issues are both present in .58 and .60. Last "good" known version is .52 so you might want to stick to it while NG works out the problems

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies

Greetings,

Being a few FW versions behind isn't a bad thing.  Of course we all hope for reliable, stable releases, but it doesn't always happen.  Worth mentioning, how you update FW can affect your overall product experience.  Latest isn't always best.

Updating FW manually from a PC connected via ethernet has proven to be the most reliable upgrade method and yeilds more consistent results.  Updating using Genie, Auto-Check and Update or the Auto-Upgrade feature can be problematic.  If you experince problems after a manual update, a reset is recommended.  Also, suggest you not apply backup configurations across multiple FW versions.  This can in some cases, introduce problems.    

Message 2 of 8
microchip8
Master

these issues are both present in .58 and .60. Last "good" known version is .52 so you might want to stick to it while NG works out the problems

Message 3 of 8
ViperGeek
Apprentice

@microchip8 wrote:

I have two R7800-100NAS routers coming via Amazon this week.  Being a security geek, I typically immediately upgrade to the latest, greatest firmware (ref: Security Advisory for Post-Authentication Command Injection ), but Microchip's comment has me concerned.

Can NETGEAR comment on whether the now-infamous poor performance issue has been resolved in firmware version 1.0.2.60?

– Dave

Message 4 of 8
Sario27
Aspirant

What is your opinion about voxel firmware?
Message 5 of 8
microchip8
Master

The issues have not been resolved in .60. Voxel's firmware does not have the issues as he uses older code that works in order to avoid introducing them in his firmware

Message 6 of 8
Sario27
Aspirant

Would you suggest using voxel over older oem firmware for security or are they pretty much the same in regards to vulnerability
Message 7 of 8
microchip8
Master

I would suggest you try it and see how it works for you. Most people I come across on the SNB forum are positive about Voxel. I know he backports some code to his firmware to fix known issues and improves here and there on current stock firmware. If there is a security issue, Voxel most likely has it fixed

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7