Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7800 and DFS Channels usage

BoDEAN
Apprentice

R7800 and DFS Channels usage

Just installed a Netgear R7800. Seems like the most recent FW supports DFS channels. Can someone tell me the pros/cons of using these channels, say over 48, 149, or 161? I live downtown Chicago, so there is a lot of 5ghz traffic in my neighborhood.

Also, any downfall to using HT160? Not sure if any of my Apple products support it or not.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

DFS is designed to allow Wi-Fi to coexist with radar systems.  Radar systems take priority so I would think to avoid using DFS channels unless there is no other choice or there are no radars around.

HT160 uses a lot of spectrum and will likely not be robust against interference.  Unless you have a HT160 client (I don't think any exist; Apple very unlikely), there's no reason to use it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

DFS is designed to allow Wi-Fi to coexist with radar systems.  Radar systems take priority so I would think to avoid using DFS channels unless there is no other choice or there are no radars around.

HT160 uses a lot of spectrum and will likely not be robust against interference.  Unless you have a HT160 client (I don't think any exist; Apple very unlikely), there's no reason to use it.

Message 2 of 4
BoDEAN
Apprentice

Why would netgear openup the DFS channels in the US then

Message 3 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Why wouldn't they?  It's sanctioned by the FCC (reference).  DFS channels may not be preferred but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be used.  The airwaves are congested, so opening up spectrum for Wi-Fi is a good thing.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7