Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 does not work with DPC3216 modem

King_Thrawn
Tutor

R7800 does not work with DPC3216 modem

Hello everyone, I tried searching for my problem and did not find any solutions.

I purchased the R7800 and tried to set it up with my DPC3216 (Spectrum) modem today. I correctly power cycled the modem and connected it to the R7800, and the R7800 had all of the correct lights as solid white. I then tried (via wired connection) to finish the setup process on my PC.

The negear genie popped up in my firefox browswer. I tried to do the automated setup process (did not work) and also manual setup process (also did not work). The internet works fine if I connect my PC directly to the modem and power cycle the modem. The internet also works fine if I go back to my old tp-link router and power cycle the modem.

I also power cycled the modem with my PC directly connected (internet worked) and then attempted to use the R7800 and clone the MAC address of my PC. This still did not work.

Has anyone gotten the R7800 working with the DPC3216 modem? I have spent several hours troubleshooting multiple combinations of solutions and am really stuck here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
King_Thrawn
Tutor

Re: R7800 does not work with DPC3216 modem

Hi everyone. Sorry that I lost touch with this thread. I managed to solve the issue and before I could post I just became too busy with kids/work and then forgot about it.

In short, I was able to resolve my issue by cloning my PC mac address on the netgear router. I will do my best to remember the exact steps that I took for anyone who wants to try and replicate it.

Unplug DPC from the wall for 30 seconds

Make sure DPC is not connected to anything via ethernet

Let it fully boot up and get signal with ISP

Turn on your primary PC

Hook your PC to the DPC via ethernet and let it discover network, etc. and set up internet

Open web browser and confirm that you have internet while directly connected to DPC

Disconnect PC ethernet from DPC modem - leave DPC modem on and running (its now configured for your PC MAC)

Reboot PC

Plug in netgear router and perform a factory reset on it (I can't remember if it has a pin hole or other button, but it needs a fresh clean reset)

After netgear is fully booted up, connect via ethernet to your PC

Open web browser and go to the main IP that allows you to access the setup menu with default user name and password (I'm sorry but I cannot remember what the defaults were)

Use the menu options (Advanced options?) to clone your PC MAC address to the netgear router (something like "copy this MAC")

Be sure to save the settings

Within the netgear settings you should be able to find an option to reboot the router - go ahead and reboot it

Wait until netgear router is rebooted, then shut down PC

Disconnect PC ethernet from netgear

Here is the part that messed me up quite a bit until I did it by accident - disconnect netgear from power outlet, then power it back up and let it run its startup cycle

The DPC modem and netgear router should both be on and powered up at this point - connect netgear router to DPC via ethernet

Let them do the handshake, lots of lights flickering, when its finished you should NOT see the red light on netgear indicating lack of internet access

Connect PC to netgear routher via ethernet

Boot up PC, allow network to auto configure

Open browser and check for internet access

If it works, then log into the netgear router interface via IP address in the browser and make your account settings and other network (wifi) settings

I run both my DPC and netgear on a battery backup, so I haven't had them power off for several months and they have kept working great.

Hope this helps everyone and sorry that I didn't post this sooner when I may have remembered more specific details.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies

You may need to work out how to set the DPC3216 to work in modem only, or bridge, mode. This will turn off its own router features, if it has any.

Either that, or set the router in access point mode.

Message 2 of 7
King_Thrawn
Tutor

Thank you, michaelkenward, for your response. I recently updated the R7800 firmware to the latest version. I will retry all of the installation procedures with the new firmware in order to see if that resolves my issue.

If not, I may just have to use the R7800 as a WAP behind the TP-Link router, and let the TP-Link handle DCHP. The reason I purchased the R7800 was because the TP-Link is 5-6 years old and the wifi has been dropping out on the 2.4 band, but the 5 ghz and ethernet connections have been fine. I would dsable the TP-Link wifi and just run the netgear wifi as WAP. If I were to do this, would I be significantly hindering my network speed in any way?

Message 3 of 7

@King_Thrawn wrote:

Thank you, michaelkenward, for your response. I recently updated the R7800 firmware to the latest version. I will retry all of the installation procedures with the new firmware in order to see if that resolves my issue.

Might be worth doing a factory reset on the the R7800 before you go too far.

If I were to do this, would I be significantly hindering my network speed in any way?

It shouldn't but be warned that using a router in access point mode disables some features.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Disabling the wifi on the TP-Link does not disable its router features. My preference would be to work out how to do that.

I'm no expert in TP-Link stuff. I once had a wifi repeater, but found it too clunky.

Message 4 of 7
ShananZ
Aspirant

We’re you able to get this resolved. I’m having the same issue
Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 5 of 7
antinode
Guru

> You may need to work out how to set the DPC3216 to work in modem only,
> or bridge, mode.

Who says that there's a choice?  Perhaps its description is accurate:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/video/at_home/Cable_Modems/3200_Series/Cisco-Model-DPC3216...

Cisco Model DPC3216 and
      DPC3216C DOCSIS 3.0 16x4
      Cable Modem with Embedded
      Multimedia Terminal Adapter

And it really is a "Cable Modem" (with other, non-router stuff).

> The negear genie popped up in my firefox browswer. I tried to do the
> automated setup process (did not work) and also manual setup process
> (also did not work).

What, exactly, did you do in the "manual setup process", and what,
exactly does "did not work" mean in this case?

> [...] then attempted to use the R7800 and clone the MAC address of my
> PC. This still did not work.

That was worth a try, but, again, "did not work" not a useful
description of what you observed.

> [...] I'm having the same issue

Again, some (any?) details about what the router says about its
WAN/Internet connection might be helpful.  ADVANCED > ADVANCED Home :
Internet Port : Show Statistics, Connection Status.

Message 6 of 7
King_Thrawn
Tutor

Hi everyone. Sorry that I lost touch with this thread. I managed to solve the issue and before I could post I just became too busy with kids/work and then forgot about it.

In short, I was able to resolve my issue by cloning my PC mac address on the netgear router. I will do my best to remember the exact steps that I took for anyone who wants to try and replicate it.

Unplug DPC from the wall for 30 seconds

Make sure DPC is not connected to anything via ethernet

Let it fully boot up and get signal with ISP

Turn on your primary PC

Hook your PC to the DPC via ethernet and let it discover network, etc. and set up internet

Open web browser and confirm that you have internet while directly connected to DPC

Disconnect PC ethernet from DPC modem - leave DPC modem on and running (its now configured for your PC MAC)

Reboot PC

Plug in netgear router and perform a factory reset on it (I can't remember if it has a pin hole or other button, but it needs a fresh clean reset)

After netgear is fully booted up, connect via ethernet to your PC

Open web browser and go to the main IP that allows you to access the setup menu with default user name and password (I'm sorry but I cannot remember what the defaults were)

Use the menu options (Advanced options?) to clone your PC MAC address to the netgear router (something like "copy this MAC")

Be sure to save the settings

Within the netgear settings you should be able to find an option to reboot the router - go ahead and reboot it

Wait until netgear router is rebooted, then shut down PC

Disconnect PC ethernet from netgear

Here is the part that messed me up quite a bit until I did it by accident - disconnect netgear from power outlet, then power it back up and let it run its startup cycle

The DPC modem and netgear router should both be on and powered up at this point - connect netgear router to DPC via ethernet

Let them do the handshake, lots of lights flickering, when its finished you should NOT see the red light on netgear indicating lack of internet access

Connect PC to netgear routher via ethernet

Boot up PC, allow network to auto configure

Open browser and check for internet access

If it works, then log into the netgear router interface via IP address in the browser and make your account settings and other network (wifi) settings

I run both my DPC and netgear on a battery backup, so I haven't had them power off for several months and they have kept working great.

Hope this helps everyone and sorry that I didn't post this sooner when I may have remembered more specific details.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7