Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 firmware question

randellx
Tutor

R7800 firmware question

Hi everyone... I have a firmware question. I have an r7800 with 1.0.2.46 that works fine, fast and stable, very basic setup... 4 devices 2.4 and 5 g and everything disabled not needed. But.. I know .46 is a very old and unsecure version that badly needs updated. That's a big jump to current firmware and I would like to know the best way to accomplish that. Do I likely need to install some versions between rather than try to go all the way to current in one jump? If I need to install some in-between versions is it possible to determine maybe which ones rather than just trial and error?  That's a lot of in-between versions! I would really like some help on how to accomplish this the best way, and would appreciate any recommendations or information at all anyone can give me. Thanks very much for your time...Randell

Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: R7800 firmware question

You should be able to install the latest without issues. 2 things I would recommend though. 

1. make a backup. If you do run into issues, you can always downgrade and restore the backup. 

2. you  might need to do a factory reset after the update. Sometimes settings do change enough a reset helps. If thats the case, don't install using the backup as if it changed enough, the backup might still have the old settings that caused issues. If you still run into issues, then you can downgrade. 

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 3 of 14

@randellx wrote:

That's a big jump to current firmware and I would like to know the best way to accomplish that.

I'm surprised that no one has answered that bit.

How do I manually update the firmware on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 14
randellx
Tutor

Thanks for your responses, I appreciate it..Sounds like I should be able to update my firmware without installing in-between updates. Thanks for the instructions on how to do that, and the additional links. I do have another question. I've read about different NG firmware versions that don't seem to work well for many users and some that do. I don't necessarily have to update to the very latest version at this time, ,84 I believe, but would like to go to a stable fast version. I've read that 1.0.2.68 is a well thought of version in general. Is there a later version than .68 that has been well received in general?

Any thoughts on that or anything else on firmware updates would be very welcome.Thanks again... Randell

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You don't have to apply intermediate version as there is none. Each version is its own build has doesn't depend on having any particular prior version installed. 

I've only been using v84 on mine and mines in wireless bridge mode. I presume others can offer up more experiences for router mode. 

One thing to keep in mind though, "If it works, don't fix it!"

You can always load something up and try it out. If it doesn't seem to work, you can revert. 

Message 6 of 14
randellx
Tutor

"You don't have to apply intermediate version as there is none. Each version is its own build has doesn't depend on having any particular prior version installed."

That is good to know! Good point on the rest, I am using in router mode...thanks! Randell

Message 7 of 14
Kitsap
Master

Voxel is a polished and refined version of the Netgear stock firmware.  Details can be found here: http://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/r7800.html 

There is an active Voxel group over on Small Netbuilders Forums:  https://www.snbforums.com/forums/netgear-ac-wireless.53/ 

Here is the thread on his most recent release:  https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-88sf.74425/ 

Once you put his firmware on your R7800 you will not look back.  However, it is possible to revert back to Netgear stock simply by flashing the stock firmware.

@randellx wrote:

Any thoughts on that or anything else on firmware updates would be very welcome.Thanks again... Randell

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 8 of 14
randellx
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestion and the links! Much appreciated. I will most likely update my NG firmware first and then do some more checking on Voxel, sounds like an improvement on NG firmware from what I can tell and may very well be the way to go. Thanks again...Randell

Anyone have a recommendation for NG other than the latest .84? May not matter as much with Voxel available.

Message 9 of 14
Kitsap
Master

You have to look close to tell that Voxel is installed.  See attached.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 10 of 14
randellx
Tutor

You're right, it does look like the NG setup. I may have to rethink this thing. I had considered Voxel and sort of chickened out and decided to stick with NG, but it seems there have been quite a few problems with NG firmware for some time (basically why I stuck with .46 until it got ridiculous...never had any problems, fast and very stable for me). If Voxel is more stable and dependable than NG in general and I can install Voxel directly over .46 (by following the instructions)... that may be the best way to go for me. It will be awhile until I have the time for it, so I have a little time to consider. Thanks for your input and your time, I do appreciate it!... Randell

Message 11 of 14

@randellx wrote:

.... (basically why I stuck with .46 until it got ridiculous...never had any problems, fast and very stable for me).

Your firmware is four years old.

The R7800 seems to be one of the few devices that has not suffered from the firmware rot that has affected too many devices.

Early on in this discussion @FURRYe38 linked to a chat about 1.0.2.84 just after it landed. The main issue was on anything but standard router mode, for example it doesn't like wireless bridge and access point modes.

The main "feature" of the R7800, still Netgear's most reliable router for many people, is that it doesn't have any fancy bells and whistles to get in the way, like Armor and Circle. The R7800 was the "chassis" for the first DumaOS gaming router, but you can't slap DumaOS on to the standard router.

Like other devices, Netgear has gradually whittled away at the router's features, ditching free parental controls for example, but that is partly down to the servers at its end rather than in the router's firmware.

Read the various release notes to see if they kill something important to you. For example:

Note that starting with this firmware release (V1.0.2.82), the following features are no longer supported: ReadySHARE Vault, OpenDNS (Live Parental Controls), remote GUI access, and WPS PIN function. If you want to continue using these features, do not update the firmware.

Contrary to some earlier claims, there have been times in the past – I've been around long long time – when Netgear has required upgrading to an intermediate version before going the whole hog. I don't think that has happened on the R7800, but anyone trying a huge leap will soon learn about it.

Message 12 of 14

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You don't have to apply intermediate version as there is none. Each version is its own build has doesn't depend on having any particular prior version installed. 

In this case of the R7800 that is probably true, but for some devices there have been "giant leaps" in the past that required an intermediate upgrade. Something to do with clearing memory to make way for new features.

I mention it just to flag up that if someone does hit a brick wall when trying to update firmware – manual is best of course – they might have to try a "staggered" approach.

Message 13 of 14
randellx
Tutor

Michael .. I appreciate the information you have posted. It's not only of benefit to me but also to other folks that may have similar questions concerning NG firmware. In fact, I would also like to say I appreciate the responses of everyong who has posted on this thread... all the information given may well be of benefit to someone! Thanks again for you time and willingness to help... Randell

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7