Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7800 no internet after power outage

kwahaes
Aspirant

R7800 no internet after power outage

I have been experiencing some issues with my R7800 for a while now.  If the power goes out for any duration, my router and cable modem both come back up, but my router never recovers the internet connection.  If I go into the router settings and tell it to detect, it recovers.  If I reset the router (button on back) it recovers.  Otherwise, it will sit for days after an outage and never pick the internet back up.  I have read posts about time outs and such.  This used to work until some version of firmware.  It seems like the router simply times out trying to detect internet until it is forced.  I have had my cable company replace the cable modem.  It was an Arris and now is a Ubee.  I have called them and there is nothing on their end to resolve this.  I have tried various settings on the router to no avail.  My alarm system depends on this connection to some degree and when I am away and this happens, I have to send someone over and have them reset the router to get things back online.  Is there not some way to set the router to redetect or retry?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 16
microchip8
Master

That's because your router comes up faster than your modem does. When this happens, the router seeks an IP address but the modem can't provide one since it's still booting up. I don't really have a solution for this

Message 2 of 16
kwahaes
Aspirant

This used to work perfectly.  I think it started with the .68 firmware.  I have been tempted to go back on firmware to find out exactly when, but that leaves me with vulnerabilities.  One would think the firmware could add some sort of timeout/retry value.  All I have to do is go into the router and click on the "Error..Not connected" link and it redetects and fixes itself.  I can also reset the router.  None of this can be done remotely.  Seems like Netgear could fix this.  

Message 3 of 16
antinode
Guru

> [...] None of this can be done remotely. [...]

It might be possible to do something local automatically, however.
If you had a computer on your LAN which reliably started when power
returned, then it might use a program like Wget to prod the router
repeatedly until communication with the outside world returned.  A (very
cheap) Raspberry Pi might serve, for example.  But investing in a better
router might be a better use of resources (money and time).

> [...] Seems like Netgear could fix this.

Many things are possible, but, without a formal complaint from a
paid-support customer, I wouldn't hold my breath.  (Even with, ...)

Message 4 of 16
OhBeWan
Guide

I have the same issue, except mine cannot be fixed by going into the software.  I must physically disconnect the ethernet cable plugged into the WAN port then plug it back in again. 

Just now, I was reading to see if there was a fix.  Found out there was a new firmware, so I upgraded.  After upgrade, I had no internet.  So, I unplugged the cable, plugged it in again and magic, I have internet. 

Lost power a few days ago.  Just for a fraction of a second. Many devices such as clocks didn't even notice it.  Router stayed on, but cable modem rebooted.  When it came back up, router did not sense that we had internet again.  Had to unplug and replug cable.  

Problem is: What do I do when I am away from home and I want access to whatever media, camera, data or other useful product that is on my network? Only solution I have is to put the cable modem and router on an UPS box.

PS - I have posted about this issue before.  Other users have the same situation.  Started after FREE support ended.  Perhaps with the same firmware OP mentioned.

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 

@OhBeWan wrote:

I have the same issue, except mine cannot be fixed by going into the software.  I must physically disconnect the ethernet cable plugged into the WAN port then plug it back in again. 

Just now, I was reading to see if there was a fix.  Found out there was a new firmware, so I upgraded.  After upgrade, I had no internet.  So, I unplugged the cable, plugged it in again and magic, I have internet. 

Lost power a few days ago.  Just for a fraction of a second. Many devices such as clocks didn't even notice it.  Router stayed on, but cable modem rebooted.  When it came back up, router did not sense that we had internet again.  Had to unplug and replug cable.  

Problem is: What do I do when I am away from home and I want access to whatever media, camera, data or other useful product that is on my network? Only solution I have is to put the cable modem and router on an UPS box.

PS - I have posted about this issue before.  Other users have the same situation.  Started after FREE support ended.  Perhaps with the same firmware OP mentioned.

Message 6 of 16
OhBeWan
Guide

Thanks for replying so quickly.  My current firmware (just updated this morning) is  V1.0.2.84.  Re-ran the update assistant and it says NO newer updates are available.

The cable modem is an Arris TM1602.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

So if a brown out happens the R7800 doesn't recover the internet automatically after it comes back ON? 

Do you have both router and ISP modem on same UPS now? 

Message 8 of 16
OhBeWan
Guide

Your statement is correct.  The R7800 does not recover the internet after a brown out. Furthermore, it does not recover after a router firmware update.  Sometimes it won't recover from a router reboot.

Neither are on an UPS box.  Will buy an UPS box if I cannot find a solution. 

Cost is not the only factor.  I have a recessed wall mounted wire enclosure in the closet that contains most of my gear.  Adding an UPS box to the mix, even a small one will complicate things.

Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I'll try mine and see. Mine was just updated earlier this week and didn't see any issues, however I didn't test mine connected to my modem. I'll try this and see what I find.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Have you tried Voxels FW? 

https://www.snbforums.com/forums/netgear-ac-wireless.53/

Message 10 of 16
OhBeWan
Guide

I have not tried a factory reset and setup from scratch since the last firmware update because this problem has existed for several firmware updates. The firmware updates have not listed that as something it was fixing.  I did the factory reset and setup from scratch a few firmwares ago and it did not fix the problem. 

I have not tried any non-OEM firmwares.  I have thought about it.  I have read about the Voxel FW.  They appear to be good.  A whole separate discussion could ensue about being on a Netgear site recommending non-Netgear solutions for something Netgear should be fixing.  Not just this issue, but others I have pointed out in other posts.  

You had asked about my cable modem so I contacted my ISP about my 4 year old Arris TM1602A.  Spectrum reports that my modem is working fine.  They see no issues.  They know of nothing on their end or in the modem that could be causing it.  The level 1 I chatted with could not find such an issue in their system.  I can swap it for another cable modem, if I wish.  Maybe I will try that, but I really feel the problem is with the router.

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Resets can help sometimes. I reset mine always after new FW updates come out and setup from scratch. With all the various FW updates and odd problems seen in each version, setting up from scratch helps keep problem down to minimal from long time use of this router and others. 

You might give Voxels FW a try, haven't seen any big issues with his FW and users enjoy his stuff. 

That model Arris modem is getting a bit old and personaly felt was never a great modem. The Touchstone line of modems were always problematic with external routers. Once Arris bought up Motorolas modem division about 10 years ago, there modems go better. Then Motorola started mfrg there own again as they always had pretty good working modems back in the day. 

I'll see what happens with mine. I'll emulate a brown out and see what happens. 

Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok emulated a brown out with just the router and it came back on line.

Then emulated a brown out with both ISP Modem and router at the same time then back ON after 30 seconds. The route came back online fine and allowed me to type and post this:

RouterAloneOffOnReadyOK_CAX80.png

Message 13 of 16
OhBeWan
Guide

Thanks for testing it out.  I did some tests by cutting power to router, plugged it back in  and it came back on it's own, pretty quickly.  Then cut the power to the modem. plugged it back in and it took 2 1/2 minutes to come back.  Tested again and it came back after about 2 1/2 minutes.   This is obviously way too long, but it worked.  I could see the lights on the cable modem coming on one by one.  I suspect that the 4th one is internet.  As soon as the 4th light stopped blinking and stayed on, I had internet.  

Only tried twice but could not replicate the "never came back on unless I unplug/replug the WAN cable" problem.  

Maybe I will take the cable company up on their offer for a new modem.  

Message 14 of 16
kwahaes
Aspirant

I had my cable company replace my modem and that resolved my issues.  It is definitely worth a shot!

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, try a newer modem. I presume there may have been some odd handling issue between this one older modem and the R7800 when the modem is powered off and back ON while the R7800 is already online waiting. I presume something newer should result is seeing the R7800 coming online correctly after any power outage. 

Let us know what the new modem is when you get it. 

@OhBeWan wrote:

Thanks for testing it out.  I did some tests by cutting power to router, plugged it back in  and it came back on it's own, pretty quickly.  Then cut the power to the modem. plugged it back in and it took 2 1/2 minutes to come back.  Tested again and it came back after about 2 1/2 minutes.   This is obviously way too long, but it worked.  I could see the lights on the cable modem coming on one by one.  I suspect that the 4th one is internet.  As soon as the 4th light stopped blinking and stayed on, I had internet.  

Only tried twice but could not replicate the "never came back on unless I unplug/replug the WAN cable" problem.  

Maybe I will take the cable company up on their offer for a new modem.  

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7