Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7800 speed

kwom05
Tutor

R7800 speed

Just bought and setup the R7800 router to use my new 1GB broadband.. but, I can only get around 280-300 Mbps on WIFI speed test.. using a Samsung S7 phone to test.
There's a lot of tech speak about this router, lots of specs about what it's able to do.. but it does seem to do it for me..

Is there a simple configuration for this thing to just do what it says, out do i need to go back to school to get a freaking degree in this stuff..🤕
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

The S7's max wireless connection rate is 867Mbps. Your throughput speed will be half of that. So, if you are connected at 867Mbps, for instance, your throughput speed will be around 400Mbps, only if you consistently get your max connected rate. Wireless is susceptible to your environment (home construction, interference , router placement, etc). Try different 5ghz channels, to see if you can obtain a more consistent connected rate.  I would also try disabling MU-MIMO manual page 72 and re-test. Then try disabling beamforming and then re-test. If HT160 is enabled, I would disable and then re-test.

You could / should also try upgrading the router to the latest and greatest firmware. When you upgrade your router to the latest firmware (or to any firmware level), save yourself the grief and reset the router to factory default and reconfigure the router from scratch.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
kwom05
Tutor

I mean it does NOT do it for me... 😕
Message 2 of 4
netwrks
Master

The S7's max wireless connection rate is 867Mbps. Your throughput speed will be half of that. So, if you are connected at 867Mbps, for instance, your throughput speed will be around 400Mbps, only if you consistently get your max connected rate. Wireless is susceptible to your environment (home construction, interference , router placement, etc). Try different 5ghz channels, to see if you can obtain a more consistent connected rate.  I would also try disabling MU-MIMO manual page 72 and re-test. Then try disabling beamforming and then re-test. If HT160 is enabled, I would disable and then re-test.

You could / should also try upgrading the router to the latest and greatest firmware. When you upgrade your router to the latest firmware (or to any firmware level), save yourself the grief and reset the router to factory default and reconfigure the router from scratch.

Message 3 of 4
kwom05
Tutor

Thanks, this helped a lot.. my expectations were far away from reality.. Also made me look into the IEEE stuff for my devices and network cards etc.. duuhh.. now get around 830mbps direct to my new network card.. not the 82mbps I was getting with my previous 100mbps n type card...double duuhh.. and 360mbps on my 802.11 AC devices on WIFI..
So, overall problem solved ... Thanks..
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7