Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7900p guest WiFi password

budhabelly
Aspirant

R7900p guest WiFi password

My R7900P refuses to accept any password that I try. I keep getting the message “unable to update router settings”
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: R7900p guest WiFi password

@budhabelly wrote:
I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I gave up on using the mobile app and went back to the tried true method of wired setup. It took all the settings on the first try.

Very good.  Definitely a lesson learned.  Please mark this thread as resolved so others may benefit.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@budhabelly wrote:
My R7900P refuses to accept any password that I try. I keep getting the message “unable to update router settings”

How are you connecting to the R7900P?  With a computer via an Ethernet cable?  With a computer via Wi-Fi?  With a mobile device using an application?

Details would be very helpful.

Have you considered a firmware default reset and reconfiguration of your router from scratch?

Message 2 of 6
budhabelly
Aspirant

Bought router as a refurbished equipment from Amazon. Error is using nighthawk mobile app during initial installation. Upon setup, the router requested firmware update to V1.4.4.94_1.3.56. Attempted to restore back to factory and tried again with same results.
Message 3 of 6
Kitsap
Master

@budhabelly wrote:
Bought router as a refurbished equipment from Amazon. Error is using nighthawk mobile app during initial installation. Upon setup, the router requested firmware update to V1.4.4.94_1.3.56. Attempted to restore back to factory and tried again with same results.

The attempted to restore part gives me pause.  Were you successful in the firmware default restore operation?  If it changed the Wi-Fi password and SSID back to what is printed on the back label, you were successful.  If not, you were not successful.  Were you successful?

I realize Netgear is pushing hard on the process, but attempting to set up or configure a router with an application on a mobile device is fraught with errors and problems just like you are having.  If you have any option to use a real computer (either Windows or Mac) with a web browser and Ethernet cable connection to the router, you will be way ahead in the process.  Second option would to be use a real computer with a USB to Ethernet adapter and cable to accomplish the task.  Third option would be to use a real computer connected to the router via Wi-Fi.

There is always the chance the device had some hidden problems that were not discovered during the refurbishing process.

If you still have the option to send the device back to Amazon, it should be a real consideration.

Message 4 of 6
budhabelly
Aspirant

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I gave up on using the mobile app and went back to the tried true method of wired setup. It took all the settings on the first try.
Message 5 of 6
Kitsap
Master

@budhabelly wrote:

Very good.  Definitely a lesson learned.  Please mark this thread as resolved so others may benefit.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7