Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7960P Firmware update not working

franbo39
Follower

R7960P Firmware update not working

I am copying exactly from another community member, Jeff- and two others, RTHunt1610, and peter8691, because I too cannot update the firmware of this Netgear R7960P router.  I purchased from Costco back in Nov 2019.  I did exactly as Jeff outlined below, from two different computers, and using the Nighthawk App off my iPhone.  I work in IT, so I am familiar with using various methods to update firmware.  In all methods, the update looks like it is running, the router reboots and says sucessful, yet upon logging back in the router the firmware still displays original version.  I even reset router to original factory defaults.  That did not correct the issue.  So, what is the fix, is there a fix?  We are all out of the original 90 days, Netgear warranty.  I was waiting for a newer firmware, thinking maybe it was the firmware itself, but that is not the case either.  This seems to be a flaw in this batch of routers, possibly sold to Costco.  Other than the firmware issue, the router works well, but it is an issue is the firmware cannot be upgraded.  

From Jeff's original post, who explained in detail steps taken to upgrade firmware:

Right now I am running firmware: V1.4.1.44_1.3.5.  I tried to upgrade it to the latest, V1.4.1.50_1.3.10, many times, no, it doesn't work.

1. I chose to do the upgrade automatically by clicking on the link "A router firmware upgrade is available" next to the ADVANCED tab, it went through the process as if it was upgrading, then followed with reboot.  When the router is back, the firmware version on the upper right corner is still the old one V1.4.1.44_1.3.5.

2. I went to your website and download the firmware by entering the model number.  Unzip it, went to ADVANCED -> Administration -> Router Update, same problem;

3. I reset to router, then mannually apply the chk file, same problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions?  Appreciate feedback, comments.  

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
dev70000
Guide

r7960P : i am also facing the same problem. but existing firmware works fine though. but it is really shameful for a company like Netgear to provide no support for this firmware upgrade. 

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 3
dev70000
Guide

I also bought it from costco

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation