Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7960p Router will not update firmware - success

Tinslep
Star

Re: R7960p Router will not update firmware

I am late to the party on this. I bought the R7960P a couple of years ago from Costco and then gave it to a friend to use over a year ago. I get software update notifications from Netgear and usually check the update status when I visit. 

This Fall I got a notification and noticed it did not automatically update so I tried to kick it off manually with no success. I though it might be an issue with her older computer so tried with mine and also with the Nighthawk App with no success.

This crazyness of failing upgrades is unacceptable for non-techie folks who rely on Netgear products to just work. Unfortunately this will have me looking to other manufacturers for future upgrades of my network and will recommend friends do the same.

@sdwelling wrote:
Spent hours on this today and I've pretty much given up. Both methods described fail repeatedly, with no errors thrown. Logs indicate no new firmware installed and don't show any errors. Other forums indicate that a hard reset does not work either. I was going to go direct from the command line in either windows or Linux, but that's going further than one should be expected to go. 👎👎

Message 26 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R7960p Router will not update firmware

Something to contact NG support about. Let them know what your seeing. I was able to update mine, however mine was in Bridge mode when it updated. Not sure if this is something that might help. 

@Tinslep wrote:

I am late to the party on this. I bought the R7960P a couple of years ago from Costco and then gave it to a friend to use over a year ago. I get software update notifications from Netgear and usually check the update status when I visit. 

This Fall I got a notification and noticed it did not automatically update so I tried to kick it off manually with no success. I though it might be an issue with her older computer so tried with mine and also with the Nighthawk App with no success.

This crazyness of failing upgrades is unacceptable for non-techie folks who rely on Netgear products to just work. Unfortunately this will have me looking to other manufacturers for future upgrades of my network and will recommend friends do the same.

Message 27 of 35
TurbodogTodd
Guide

Was able to update my router that was stuck on R7960P-V1.4.1.50_1.3.10.

Used the nmrpflash method. Updated to R7960P V1.4.1.64_1.3.25 then used the Netgear router software to update to R7960P-V1.4.3.88_1.3.50.

Method is here:

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

I put the firmware file in the same folder as the nmrpflash.exe file.

Was using my router as an endpoint, initially had failures until I noticed after the attempts my attached computer ip address was changed from 192.168.2.5 to 192.254.177.93, since my router was set up as an endpoint and assigning. Checked by running the nmrpflash "-L" command to check the connection name <net9> and ip <192.254.177.93>.

used the -a and -A commands to assign the ip address on my computer and target router. -A 192.254.177.93 and -a 192.254.177.94

ran the nmrpflash.exe with the the following command line and it worked.

nmrpflash -A 192.254.177.93 -a 192.254.177.94 -i net9 -f R7960P-V1.4.1.64_1.3.25.chk

Message 28 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 29 of 35
TurbodogTodd
Guide

Good comment on saving a config file.  I makes it easier, used my backup configuration file after flashing the router to load my settings.

Message 30 of 35
Tinslep
Star

I am glad you found a solution but this doesn’t help non-technical people who bought their router at Costco and expect it to update automatically.
Message 31 of 35
TurbodogTodd
Guide

That was me, bought it at Costco and expected it to update automatically, or at least update through the app and web interfaces.  Lived with it for several years, without updating, then spent the time, found a few links and followed the directions to update.  If still under warranty then certainly people should return to Costco.

Message 32 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend if you know of a friend, family member or neighbor that could help out. See if they can help you get the router updated. 

@Tinslep wrote:
I am glad you found a solution but this doesn’t help non-technical people who bought their router at Costco and expect it to update automatically.

Message 33 of 35
Tinslep
Star

I was able to update mine eventually, but I still say, for the thousands that bought it at Costco and couldn't, they probably went out and bought another (non Netgear) router. I know my friend did.

Yes you could try for a return, but it isn't a Costco issue, it is a Netgear issue.

You buy a router and register it with Netgear. You get E-mail notifications of updates. They work fine for over a year. Then they stop and Netgear will not respond to issues. 

Just leaves a bad taste for future customers.

Message 34 of 35
TurbodogTodd
Guide

I agree with all of that, my main router is a different brand, this issue originally caused me to use this router as an endpoint only.

Glad you were able to update yours.  My original comment was to maybe help anyone in the same situation.

Message 35 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 17 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7