Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 HOW DO I ROLLBACK THE FIRMWARE VERSION??

Tribefan
Initiate

R8000 HOW DO I ROLLBACK THE FIRMWARE VERSION??

Hello...

After downloading the current firmware version (1.0.4.76) I keep getting the SITE CANNOT BE REACHED error, although it will take me to the site eventually after 15-30 seconds or so (this is getting rather annoying!)  I thought I saw a post some time ago stating that the solution was to "rollback" to firmware version 1.0.4.68.  So how do I do that when I cannot find that firmware version on the Netgear site??

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R8000 HOW DO I ROLLBACK THE FIRMWARE VERSION??

Message 2 of 10
plemans
Guru

go to the support site. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r8000

Click on downloads. 

Then click on "+view previous versions"

that'll have the older versions. 

simply download it, extract it, then follow the manual firmware update process. 

One thing to try prior to downgrading is enable IPv6. See if that helps .

Message 3 of 10
Tribefan
Initiate

Hello Plemans....

Just checked the network settings and IPv6 was already enabled...  Will be heading to downgrade here soon...

Stay Tuned!  😉

Message 4 of 10
plemans
Guru

good luck!

Message 5 of 10
HKTKD
Tutor

I know this is too late to help the OP, but...

I ran into the same problem.  Some firmware update completely screwed up my R8000 router that had been working fine.  I was ready to throw it in the trash.  Every device on the network was having problems getting to sites.  Bypassing the router's DNS by using VPN told me that it was the router, not the PC.  I tried different DNS settings on the router but that didn't help.  This is a Netgear problem that should have been resolved already.  I'm not impressed.

Anyhow, what finally worked for me was to go to the IPv6 screen and set it to "Auto Detect".  When I did that it set it to "Pass Through".  So far, after a couple days I've had no connection problems.

Message 6 of 10
saucyboss
Aspirant

Can you please let me know how to check the IPv6 settings? I don't see this anywhere in the router settings... hoping this would be a simple fix rather than needing to rollback the firmware (which I have no experience doing.....)

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/IPv6. I believe just enable Auto and apply the change. Reboot both ISP modem/ONT and router. 

@saucyboss wrote:

Can you please let me know how to check the IPv6 settings? I don't see this anywhere in the router settings... hoping this would be a simple fix rather than needing to rollback the firmware (which I have no experience doing.....)

Message 8 of 10
saucyboss
Aspirant

Thank you so much! Thought I’d let you know that this worked for me! (Well so far so good anyway, have had a stable connection for the past 3 days after trying this) 😊
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7