Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 - Have to load every page 2x after installing V1.0.4.74_10.1.80

rcollette
Aspirant

Re: R8000 - Have to load every page 2x after installing V1.0.4.74_10.1.80

I already had the DNS settings entered manually and was still haveing this issue.   I reverted the firmware and so far so good.   It's just ridiculous that they have not fixed such a noticable problem by now.

Message 76 of 100
Hopper15
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The solution was this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R8000-Have-to-load-every-page-2x-after-insta...

Or revert FW back to what was working. 

@rcollette wrote:

Same issue.   I've got a house full of leviton devices that randomly disconnect now because of this.  Going back and adjusting DNS settings on all devices is not an option.   This will be my last netgear purchase. 

Those are workarounds. Not a fix.

Message 77 of 100
Mustang_Gears
Aspirant

for me changing those TCP settings didnt work, the only solution was going back to the second update from the very first fm, I now get a blinking orange power light but its ok at least devices work fine

Message 78 of 100
FURRYe38
Guru

Ment to fix current problem for those effected as a short term solution. You'll have to wait for NG to fix this in mean time. Be sure that you contact NG support and let them know about this. Theres nothing else we can do here in the forums about this.

@Hopper15 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The solution was this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R8000-Have-to-load-every-page-2x-after-insta...

Or revert FW back to what was working. 

Those are workarounds. Not a fix.

Message 79 of 100

this has been going on since July of this year , I guess there won't be a fix and it's time to get a new router, what a waste of time and lots of problems for numerous users that all could have been avoided if a patch was done earlier and it worked ????????????????????????.

Message 80 of 100
bkastel
Guide

For those that say, "contact support", I'm not paying $40 a year so I can make one phone call in 5 years that won't solve the problem anyway. NG doesn't care to maintain an old device. I'm not suckering into buying a new high dollar router when this one works just fine. Chances are that when I do buy a new router it won't be a NG because of their lousy and costly support.

I see little to no risk running the version ...75. There are no major issues fixed in newer releases and what might be fixed only applies to a ridiculously small audience.  As someone in the software development field, you actually have more risk breaking something with the new releases than running something that's been around for nearly a year.  The only thing aggravating is my router has a label saying there's an update. I'm not someone that has much value to a hacker. I know and practice safe networking. Everything important is encrypted and backed up daily. No ports are open. UPnP is disabled. Remote administration is disabled. It's like my old Toyota truck, requires you know how to turn everything on and off and how to drive in all conditions. It's old but will run and run and run.

Sorry if I offended some.  I'm not mad at all.  Have a good day and enjoy what the router does and not what it doesn't. 

Message 81 of 100
atoner
Tutor

I fully agree with not wasting the money with support just to complain about an issue Netgear may fix on their own schedule, if ever.

Is DD-WRT or similar firmware an option? I haven’t fully investigated the pros and cons since downgrading my firmware solved my immediate problem. Maybe DD-WRT would get around this issue and open up new features too.
Message 82 of 100
atoner
Tutor

The DNS issue still exists with the recently released v1.0.2.156 firmware for my R8500. After updating from 144 to 156, I started getting the NXDOMAIN errors again. DNS Benchmark went back to reporting "DNS queries are not being consistently answered" with longer response times.

In addition to this ongoing problem, the web client update from 144 to 156 bricked my router until I did a TFTP upload of the new firmware.

I did a little investigating into DD-WRT and got turned off by inconsistent information among their various web pages and forum threads, and the feeling that I'd be creating a new "hobby" for myself to implement this firmware on one of the most critical pieces of infrastructure in my house. It sounds like another XBMC/Kodi, in which the promise sounds nice but the implementation will be painful.

So I've rolled back to the 144 firmware again...

Message 83 of 100

@atoner wrote:

I did a little investigating into DD-WRT and got turned off by inconsistent information among their various web pages and forum threads, and the feeling that I'd be creating a new "hobby" for myself to implement this firmware on one of the most critical pieces of infrastructure in my house.

That bit made me chuckle.

Message 84 of 100
robjak
Luminary

DD-WRT is crap.  I used it years ago when i thought of it as a hobby.   Now  i just dont want to have a hassle and that is what  NETGEAR gave us.   I was using the 155 update (Sept)  with the DNS fixes but when they released 156 without the DNS fixed  that was the last straw.   

You might want to look at PFsense or OPNSense  and taking routing away from the NETGEAR.   Just use the 8500 as a wireless access point. 

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 85 of 100
vinada
Aspirant

Netgear team, need your attention here.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 86 of 100
Pezlud2
Tutor

I have the same problems that people have been talking about.  And as time goes on, it seems to get worse and worse.  Big problem on purchasing and banking sites.

Also, I can't seem to stream music anymore.

I guess since Netgear won't fix the problem after all of these complaints, a new router is the only fix.  May get a different brand.  Any suggestions?  Link-Sys?   Asus? 

Too bad, I've had Netgear routers for many years, and have not had this kind of problem before.  If Netgear doesn't respond to this very soon, they may lose the war...

Message 87 of 100
Mustang_Gears
Aspirant

guys I decided to buy a different brand router for christmas, I won't take a chance with netgear's updates..

this is a lot like apple releasing updates to slow down older models to sell new models

Message 88 of 100
Robertos
Luminary

Same here. I have just got to decide which router to buy.  Asus seems to have the better models at the moment.

This is a case of Netgear shooting themselves in both feet and the incompetance will backfire on them bigtime.

Message 89 of 100
Pezlud2
Tutor

Just bought an Asus RT-AX82U, AX5400 router.  Haven't installed it yet as haven't had a chance to devote the time.  I'm hoping that solves all these issues about can't finding a webpage and having to reclick all the time...

If if doesn't solve the problem...not sure what to do then...I'll report back after I get the new router installed and see if the problem is solved.

Message 90 of 100
Pezlud2
Tutor

12/13/2021

Updated the router to an Asus RT-AX82U   AX5400 Dual Band

Got everything up and running and it works fine.  No more double clicking or website errors in browsers.  Website pop up like they should.

Really angry with NetGear they ruined my $300 Nighthawk X6 by their firmware...and then didn't fix the firmware upgrade!!!

The Nighthawk was only about 20 months old!

Hope the new Asus last much longer and that Asus won't ruin it with their firmware upgrades!

Since NetGear made no attempt for months to fix the problem, that's why I got a different brand...they apparently don't care...

Message 91 of 100
Mustang_Gears
Aspirant

Today I got the ASUS ROG AX5400 Wifi-6, with RGB lighting, easy setup real fast no hassle..put away the X6 nighthawk..

Message 92 of 100
mattohoto
Initiate

How is this not fixed? this is inexcusable.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 93 of 100
Mustang_Gears
Aspirant

Message 94 of 100
Robertos
Luminary

I have now obtained an Asus rt-ac86u and got it set up yesterday.  WoW! the difference is amazing, my PCs wired broadband is now running at full speed. DNS is as it should be and WiFi is also very good.  I only have 2 wireless laptops, a TV box and a wireless printer, so AC is OK for now.  When AX devices start appearing I may buy the AX version.

So. Sorry Netgear you have lost another long term customer

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 95 of 100
RRZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue as everyone else that started right after the firmware upload to my router and my extender.      Have to load pages twice periodically and/or the page will re-load.   Windows 11 machine across all browsers.   Netgear needs to fix their latest firmware!

Message 96 of 100
Pezlud2
Tutor

I don't think you're going to get a fix.  Like some of the others and myself, you'll probably have to get a different router to solve the problem

David

Message 97 of 100
Robertos
Luminary

I do find it incredible and inexcusable that a 'communications' related company can issue defective updates for its products and then refuse to fix them, thus abandoning its user base like Netgear has.

They deserve to go bankrupt.

Message 98 of 100
mattohoto
Initiate

We moved to ASUS and it's simply a better router. 

This one is ironically unplugged and is used as a stand for the functional ASUS router 🙂

Be dure to update your online reviews for the Netgear router to let potential buyers know what your experience has ben like.

Message 99 of 100
Hopper15
Star

I'm thinking about switching to ASUS as well. I'm become clear Netgear is just not interested in fixing their faulty firmware.

Message 100 of 100
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7