Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 Nighthawk X6 AC3200 - upgraded to fiber and not seeing the expected speeds

Valueable_Time
Initiate

R8000 Nighthawk X6 AC3200 - upgraded to fiber and not seeing the expected speeds

Fiber became available in the neighborhood through AT&T and had it connected. The R8000 Nighthawk x6 ac3200 router was in place before the fiber was installed and had decent download rates (80Mbps).  After fiber was installed the router statistics show WAN : 1000M/Full as well as the LAN connection

PPPoe, VPN, Traffic Meter are all disabled. Latest firmware for the router is installed.  Using window 10 pro on several devices. Speedtest through the R8000 router: download range is now the 400 Mbps. Speedtest with the same pc connected to the AT&T router itself I am receiving 950+ Mbps Download.  This is using the same ethernet cable during the tests.

What else should I check in order to receive the 900+ Mbps  download speeds that I am expecting with fiber?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: R8000 Nighthawk X6 AC3200 - upgraded to fiber and not seeing the expected speeds

You should enable IP Passthrough or DMZPlus on the AT&T gateway.  Select your R8000 as the passthrough device.  This will eliminate double NAT in your setup.

On your R8000, turn off Dynamic QoS as well as MAC address cloning.  Then reboot the router.  Then check speeds.

Frankly, it might be easier to reset the router to factory settings.  Then just do basic config (change admin password, set up Wi-Fi and adjust LAN settings).  Don't turn on any other features.  Then check speeds.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Re: R8000 Nighthawk X6 AC3200 - upgraded to fiber and not seeing the expected speeds

You should enable IP Passthrough or DMZPlus on the AT&T gateway.  Select your R8000 as the passthrough device.  This will eliminate double NAT in your setup.

On your R8000, turn off Dynamic QoS as well as MAC address cloning.  Then reboot the router.  Then check speeds.

Frankly, it might be easier to reset the router to factory settings.  Then just do basic config (change admin password, set up Wi-Fi and adjust LAN settings).  Don't turn on any other features.  Then check speeds.

Message 2 of 5
BoDEAN
Apprentice

I also got the R8000 when I had fiber insalled. Due to the lack of updates to the product, and slow speeds, I sold it.

You will never get super fast wifi speeds btw. Wired connection though you should be around 800-900MBps.

Again, see if you can get rid of the R8000, as it seems to just be a stop gap router Netgear put out, to make a profit before releasing the R9000/R8500.  

Message 3 of 5
Valueable_Time
Initiate

I took your advice and just went back to factory settings.  After the factory settings applied and basic config, I re-ran the speedtest.  I am now receiving anywhere from 850-950 Mbps download and 650-750 upload.  

Now, I then started to apply different settings to the router and continue testing to see if I could find a configuration contributing to the slowness.  The first place it slowed down is when the Access Control was turned on.  It was not blocking any devices to start with at all.  The speedtest was less than half the speed.  After turning the Access Control back off (router reboot, etc.), I ran another speed test.  Back up to the 900+ Mbps range.

I would hope someone at Netgear could look into this.  I would not expect this drastic a hit to the download performance with the Access Control turned on.  

For now, the router is performing at an acceptable level.

Thank you all for the input

Message 4 of 5
TheEther
Guru

Unfortunately, MAC address filtering is one of those features that isn't supported with hardware acceleration.  There's nothing Netgear can do.  The Broadcom chipset doesn't support it.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7