Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000 and extending range

tdthompsonjr
Aspirant

R8000 and extending range

Hello

I currently have th R8000 and have some dead spots.  I know there are wireless extenders options, or i can hook up another wireless router to solve the problem.  Will either of these make it a seamless connection when i cross to the other router or to the extender, and which one would give a better performance?

Thank you

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Use a router that supports AP mode. (ethernet connect from new AP and 8000). Better than messing around with extenders - waste of money, time and enrgey..

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Use a router that supports AP mode. (ethernet connect from new AP and 8000). Better than messing around with extenders - waste of money, time and enrgey..

Message 2 of 7
tdthompsonjr
Aspirant

Will that make it seamless?  Both of the routers have AP

Message 3 of 7
netwrks
Master

It all depends on your clients. Some tend to stick, but most certainly better than runniong extenders.

Message 4 of 7
tdthompsonjr
Aspirant

Thanks will try it out over the weekend!
Message 5 of 7
carll76
Apprentice

I set my old ASUS RT N66U up as an AP and connected it via powerplugs.  You can tell it to "let go" of devices if the connection drops below a db level.

However, I figured I'd paid a lot of money for the R8000 and would see if that could cover the house on its own.  I live in a 3 story town house and coverage upstairs rear was always a problem. Before upgrading I used the Asus and a cheaper 2nd had dual band router connected to power plugs upstairs to boost the wifi.

After some scanning of networks ( 22 2.4ghz and 7 5ghz networks in range of my house) I found that changing the channel on the R8000 2.4 & 5ghz bands I  need it.  I have the router mounted on the wall about 6ft off the ground and have pointed the top 2 sticks in the general direction of the upstairs back bed room.

The true test is my 12 year old youtube addict of a daughter (who also sleeps in the back upstairs room).... So far not one complaint about wifi !!!

Message 6 of 7
carll76
Apprentice

typo !!!  Should read I don't need it !!  The AP that is...

Can find edit button 😞

After some scanning of networks ( 22 2.4ghz and 7 5ghz networks in range of my house) I found that changing the channel on the R8000 2.4 & 5ghz bands I  need it. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7