Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000+c6300 can these work together?

Shibumikg
Aspirant

R8000+c6300 can these work together?

I recently moved the person I'm living with has a Nighthawk X6 router I brought a Netgear c6300 with me there's a separate Cottage off the property where the connection does not actually reach what I'd like to know is can I use the c6300 as an extender and if so what settings would there need to be in order to do that. And is there anything to adjust on the Aries modem that I have or just the Netgear devices?
Please note I hopefully admit to not knowing Hardware setups on the software gal so if there's questions about what I asked please feel free to ask.
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

You could not use the C series modem then.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. However since both are routers, I recommend that you configure the C6300 for modem mode only, then connect the R8000 to the C series modem and this will work well for you. 

https://kb.netgear.com/27191/How-do-I-set-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router-to-function-as-a-modem-only

Message 2 of 6
Shibumikg
Aspirant

OK cool - they will be in separate locations. I more need an extender/repeater (?). The way the property is set up there is a main house and a cottage/Guest House off to the side where I am staying. The connection range does not reach that far with the modem router current setup. Can I use the c6300 that I brought with me as an extender or a second connection? Or is that a service provider issue?
Appreciate the help!

Just moved to the islands surrounded by concrete and blackout spots, oy vey!!!
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

The C series modem can only work in gateway mode or modem only mode. Modem only mode shuts off the router and all wifi radios. 
Will you still be using the modem to connect to your ISP services? 

You'll need a ethernet cable (CAT6) to connect the modem to the R8000 router. 

Message 4 of 6
Shibumikg
Aspirant

No as she has a aries modem connected to the nighthawk as router. She has a Amped SR extender for the cottage. Currently not working - saying no internet - I think I have to rerun the wizard for that but wanted to know if I had alternatives. Thanks for the assistance. Any additional advice welcome!
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You could not use the C series modem then.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7