Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 in a boot loop after failed firmware update attempt, unable to get into recovery mode

muhammadbeig
Initiate

R8000 in a boot loop after failed firmware update attempt, unable to get into recovery mode

I attempted to update my R8000 router's firmware via its web ui which failed (I was on wifi). Ever since then, the router has been in a constant reboot loop. I'm unable to perform a tftp since I can't get it into recovery mode. I've tried 30-30-30 to perform a reset, to no use. Tried holding the reset button with the power off, and turned it on while keeping the reset button held, the router still reboots.

This is really unfortunate that upon keeping up with the latest upgrade as suggested by Netgear, you end up with a bricked router that cost over 350$. I called the support, they told me that I have to buy a service agreement (130$ for a year or 90$ for 6 months)  which will be refunded if they can't fix the issue (that's reassuring!).

I've ordered the usb to ttl cable which will be delivered in a few days and then I'll attempt the tftp via the usb serial cable. Though that process doesn't seem risk free.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than what I've already tried or what I plan on doing?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
muhammadbeig
Initiate

Re: R8000 in a boot loop after failed firmware update attempt, unable to get into recovery mode

After connecting the router's serial pins via the usb ttl cable the router was able to restart on its own. I didn't really see any logs while connecting to it via putty or using Serial app on mac. 

Anyways, it boot up with the firmware that I was in the middle of installing.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: R8000 in a boot loop after failed firmware update attempt, unable to get into recovery mode

The only other option I know of is nmrpflash. 

I've had luck with it before. 

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 2 of 4
muhammadbeig
Initiate

After connecting the router's serial pins via the usb ttl cable the router was able to restart on its own. I didn't really see any logs while connecting to it via putty or using Serial app on mac. 

Anyways, it boot up with the firmware that I was in the middle of installing.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Glad you got it working!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7