Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 resets to default IP when the internet is down

jacksonarw
Aspirant

R8000 resets to default IP when the internet is down

For various reasons I've had a few internet problems, and whenever the router detects this then it resets its IP to the default 192.168.1.1. Recently did this while I was on holiday and I lost connectivity to everything at home - cameras, doorbell etc etc.

Needless to say this is damn annoying behaviour

The 'error' when you log onto the router is that it has reset its IP to default to 'avoid a conflict with your ISP' which is nonsense as my config would not produce a conflict, and works fine if it was just left alone.

Setup is as follows :

Virgin Media Router v3 in Modem mode with IP of 192.168.100.1

R8000 with IP of 192.168.100.2

PIHole giving DHCP and DNS

Is there a way to stop this behaviour ?

I can't set the R8000 to get its LAN IP from DHCP so it has to be fixed

The config works fine and this is the only issue I have with what is genuinely a superb router. Having it reset its local IP and needing physical access to resolve that is pretty odd and poor behaviour though ...

Any ideas or suggestions please ?

Thanks

Message 1 of 3

Re: R8000 resets to default IP when the internet is down

@jacksonarw wrote:

For various reasons I've had a few internet problems, and whenever the router detects this then it resets its IP to the default 192.168.1.1.

Remember, when you have "internet problems" it is essential to start things in the correct order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Get it wrong and address conflicts can happen.

I have found that modem.routers in modem-only mode can take so long to start that the router tines out before the modem has negotiated a connection.

@@jacksonar wrote:

Virgin Media Router v3 in Modem mode with IP of 192.168.100.1

R8000 with IP of 192.168.100.2

That smells wrong. They are on the same network.

A modem would usually have a different IP slot. In my case, the DM200 squats on http://192.168.5.1/

Looks like you R8000 detects this conflict and moves itself to a different address with no conflicts.

Having it reset its local IP and needing physical access to resolve that is pretty odd and poor behaviour though ...

Not that odd. It is being "helpful".

Is there any reason why you don't want to set up your R8000 on 192.168.1.1?

Have you tried throwing your issue at the Virgin community?

Message 2 of 3
jacksonarw
Aspirant

Re: R8000 resets to default IP when the internet is down

Thanks for the reply.

The restoration of connectivity is not the problem as the issue occurs whether the Virgin connection fails, or as in one case the PIHole disk filled with logs and wouldn't give DNS any more.

'That smells wrong. They are on the same network.

A modem would usually have a different IP slot. In my case, the DM200 squats on http://192.168.5.1/'

They need to be or the router wouldn't talk to the modem as its internal IP is 192.168.100.1 - and is fixed so can't be changed.

'Looks like you R8000 detects this conflict and moves itself to a different address with no conflicts.'

There is never a conflict, the modems internal IP is 192.168.100.1, and the R8000 is 192.168.100.2

'
Having it reset its local IP and needing physical access to resolve that is pretty odd and poor behaviour though ...

Not that odd. It is being "helpful".'

It really isn't ... there is no conflict, and no reason to change its IP and break connectivity. If it would keep config then there wouldn't be this problem.

Is there any reason why you don't want to set up your R8000 on 192.168.1.1?

Because the modem is hard IP's to 192.168.100.1

Have you tried throwing your issue at the Virgin community?

No - its not a Virgin problem. The modem stays at 192.168.100.1, its the R8000 that changes IP and breaks connectivity.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7