Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 wireless goes slow after Firmware Version 1.0.3.36

bkastel
Guide

R8000 wireless goes slow after Firmware Version 1.0.3.36

Hi all,

I've been running R8000 Firmware Version 1.0.3.32 since January when it was released.  Not a bit of trouble.  This month version 1.0.3.36 was available.  I installed it with no issues.  I checked all my settings and they were perfect.  After a few days I and other members of my family noticed that the wifi was horribly slow.  I tried both the 2.4 and 5Mhz bands.  Direct ethernet was still very fast at the normal 240Mbit down and 12Mbit up - it just a problem with wifi.  I rebooted the router, still with version 1.0.3.36 installed and the wireless was fast again.  It was good for a day or so then went slow.  Once again a reboot solved the issue for a day or so.  I looked at the logs and no DOS attacks or anything unusual.

I finally dropped back to the prior version 1.0.3.32 and it's been running like a champ for 2 weeks now.  Both ethernet and 5Mhz wifi pull the 240Mbit download. This weekend I'm going to put version 1.0.3.36 back on and see if it has the slow wifi issue again.  If it has problems within a day or so I'll go back to version 1.0.3.32 and consider version 1.0.3.36 flawed.

I'll report back.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: R8000 wireless goes slow after Firmware Version 1.0.3.36

Hi bkastel,

If ever the connection speed for wireless still drops to the lowest, you may need to try the manual reconfiguration after the reset. Also try changing channels of your wireless network.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi bkastel,

Reset the router after the update and manually reconfigure it.

Message 2 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi bkastel,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 5
bkastel
Guide

Well I applied the 1.0.3.36 update again then factory reset the router.  I don't have the time right now to write down and manually enter all the settings so I restored them from a backup.  I have static addresses, port forwarding, network drives, external AP, wifi, DNS, etc.  It's been a week and my speed has continued to remain fast.  I do think I have some conflict with the neighbors wifi because I used to get my full 240Mbit download from 5G wifi and now I can't get much more than 180Mbit. I need to borrow my wifes Andriod phone and use the WiFi analyser app to see where the conflicts are.   I feel that's plenty fast for my needs.  Wired is still 240Mbit.

Message 4 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi bkastel,

If ever the connection speed for wireless still drops to the lowest, you may need to try the manual reconfiguration after the reset. Also try changing channels of your wireless network.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7