Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000P DNS Issues After Updating Firmware to 1.4.2.84

joetechbob
Tutor

R8000P DNS Issues After Updating Firmware to 1.4.2.84

Hi!

I noticed that my R8000P started having significant DNS issues after updating the firmware to version 1.4.2.84 (across multiple devices, but most noticeably on our Xbox Series X and Windows 10 machines on both wired and wireless connections). In some cases it would take 5 - 10 attempts to successfully perform DNS resolution, even after performing router restarts, device restarts, setting the router to use google's dns servers, restarting the modem itself, etc. Ultimately, rolling back to the prior firmware version has fixed the issue (so far), however, there are fixed security vulnerabilities in the latest version.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or have an active ticket with Netgear? I had hoped to report a bug with the Netgear folks directly, but I didn't see a great way to do this.

Thanks in advance.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Its been an ongoing issue and there's been quite a few posts about it. 

One fix that has worked for some is to enable IPv6 support in the router. 

If that doesn't help, its the downgrade firmware option .

Message 2 of 10
Pernix
Aspirant

I am having DNS issues since the last firmware update, three months ago.

I see Netgear knows about the issue but it is not fixing it, so I'll ban forever Netgear from my home, that's it.
I spent money for a piece of technology that two years after only, turns into a piece of crap, and that's intolerable.

Best Regards

Tom

Message 3 of 10
agibson684
Tutor

The enablement of IPv6 in the router seems to have squelched the DNS Probe issues.  I was seeing trouble with an iPhone 8 and an AppleTV 4K device losing access to the internet when connected to my home Wi-Fi network as well so we shall see if this change puts that issue to rest as well.

Message 4 of 10
joetechbob
Tutor

Thanks! I'll try that out.
Message 5 of 10
agibson684
Tutor

That ended up not working out so well.  I experimented with IPv6 - AutoConfig & 6to4 and neither stopped the DNS probe issues.  I experimented with DNS entries from CloudFlare, Google and my host provider Spectrum to no avail.  Sadly, I've gone back 3 firmware updates to v1.4.1.64, which I'm sure many others have as well.

Unless Netgear reaches out to my email address and/or sends a bulk email to those with this particular model with a fix, I'm moving on to another manufacturer.  Fixing security issues and introducing sub-par user experience along the way is unacceptable.  There's been enough chatter on this topic for them to have made a public statement on the matter.  I can't, in good conscience, support a company that doesn't admit to problems and at least make a statement that it's intent on fixing them.

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Users are encouraged to contact NG support as well:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 7 of 10
mclaurentiu
Tutor

It won't allow me because "Your complimentary technical support expired". Instead it just suggests to search the knowledge base or visit the community. Very helpful.

My router is still covered by hardware warranty. Can we all return the defective items and let them handle the situation? As far as i'm concerned, the device isn't performing as it should. No functional DNS means it's bricked. By Netgear.

Do you have any idea if they're officially working on it? Is there a press release? A blog entry with an apology, entry which is also tracking the progress of the fix?

Message 8 of 10
joetechbob
Tutor

It's the same for me--can't open a ticket because my support plan has expired. Pretty pathetic that they don't even want users to be able to report bugs. Likely my last Netgear router 😞

Message 9 of 10
agibson684
Tutor

A representative from Netgear reached out to me and I'm due to enter the support phase of troubleshooting this week, I imagine.  I've already purchased a new router but would like to know if my R8000P is going to live another day or if it's now damaged somehow and e-waste.  Mind you, I've had my device for 3-4 years now. 

I give Netgear a +1 for reading my write-up and responding with an offer to help.  I do wish company policy would allow some sort of write-up to you all. It might ease your frustrations that work is being done to correct any problems.  Yes, it makes sense that the end user should reach out to support, but allaying everyone's anxiousness, with a post about DNS Probe (at least) and/or other issues, about recent firmwares, would be nice.

If it turns out that my device is damaged somehow, I'll post that later.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7