Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000P - Static IP for WLAN device not possible

SkyWalker2_D
Guide

R8000P - Static IP for WLAN device not possible

Hi!
I try to get static IP addresses for some of my WLAN devices. I go the way like discribed in the manual but always get the message "MAC adress wrong" (something like this, I use German as language).

I made a restart of the router and the firmware is the newest one.

Any idea why I can't get a static IP address?

Regards
Torben
Message 1 of 4

Re: R8000P - Static IP for WLAN device not possible

@SkyWalker2_D wrote:

I try to get static IP addresses for some of my WLAN devices.

There is a lot of confusion around "static" IP addresses – something that some IPS specify – not to be confused with Static Routes.

What do you actually want to do?

It is more likely that something needs a Reserved LAN IP Address.

Another option that can also have its place is to go into the controls of the device you are concerned about and looking for the option to fix the IP address in that.

So it is all down to what you are trying to control rather than what you consider to be the appropriate setting. The fact that you are having problems, may be down to trying to adjust the wrong settings.

Message 2 of 4
SkyWalker2_D
Guide

Thanks a lot for your reply!
I need some devices to have the same IP adress after the router restarted. After a reboot or lost of power maybe. Now the devices get a new IP address after a reboot.
There is a way explained in the manual but this doesn't work in my case. I watched a YouTube video showing exactly what is discribed.
Sorry for my English
Message 3 of 4

@SkyWalker2_D wrote:

I need some devices to have the same IP adress after the router restarted. After a reboot or lost of power maybe. Now the devices get a new IP address after a reboot.

This is not the same as the "Static IP" you are trying to set up.

For that you have two options:

• Tell the router to Reserve IP addresses so that your unnamed "devices" always use that I address
  • See if these unnamed devices have settings that let you fix their IP addresses. That is how I fix printers and Network Attached Storage on my network.
  • Do both at the same time – Research and Fix.

The whole idea of a Reserved IP address is that your router says "Always use that IP address for this device".

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series