Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000p IPv6 6to4 DNS broken

cybot
Luminary

R8000p IPv6 6to4 DNS broken

-Firmware Version
V1.4.1.68_1.3.28

for quite some time now, the DNS of the IPv6 6to4 setting has been broken. the issue goes back at least several firmware versions. you cannot enter any DNS settings into the ipv6 6to4 page and have the router retain them. when you click the save settings button, the value you entered gets changed to some ascii characters and the word undefined in each section of the DNS. this is desspite there only supposed to be 4 digits in the address. this issue has been reported by at least one other individual in this thread here: Re: unable to set ipv6 DNS after latest firmware u... - NETGEAR Communities

I can set the settings and have them retained is i use a restore a backup of the settings, but try to change them any, and i run into the issue once again. if i did not have this back-up of my settings I would be sunk as far as ipv6 access goes. Yes, i could go into windows and set the IPv6 settings manually, but this method only works for PC's other devices i have such as my Google Pixel 3A XL which support ipv6 access, have no way of setting this up. so, without setting up the setting into the router, only my cell data connection can provide me with ipv6 for that device. for other devices that support ipv6, I am really sunk. please NETGEAR, fix this issue.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 24
cybot
Luminary

A security Hotfix firmware (V1.4.1.82_1.3.40) was released that fixed the issue. IT fixed two issues I was having and introduced two new ones. LOL

Message 2 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Well mark this thread as solved if it resolve the initial problem.

What other problems did it it seem to introduce? 

Did you factory reset and setup from scratch after the FW update? 

Message 3 of 24
cybot
Luminary

immediately following the upgrade to the firmware, the wifi (all three bands) would suddenly disappear momentarily like the router was rebooting (it wasn't - or should not have been) and then reappear several seconds later. this would of course result in momentary loss of internet for all devices. the other issue is that the 2Ghz band network is not working properly and won't allow any devices to logon to the network. the password is correct, and the network info is correct, and the dual band devices are able to log on to the 5Ghz network, but the 2Ghz network is failing to be connected to. windows says: "couldn't connect to this network" and my pixel 3a XL phone connects to it, then disconnects to it.

I was able to get this error from windows event logs: Initialization failed because the driver device could not be created. Use the string "8EC4446365CC" to identify the interface for which initialization failed. It represents the MAC address of the failed interface or the Globally Unique Interface Identifier (GUID) if NetBT was unable to map from GUID to MAC address. If neither the MAC address nor the GUID were available, the string represents a cluster device name.

but since no other devices can connect to is either, it is not something with windows or the device drivers

and yes. I did a factory reset before AND after I upgraded to the new firmware

Message 4 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to let NG support know about then...

Message 5 of 24
cybot
Luminary

LOL... just refreshed my routerlogin.net page, since i was working on trying to solve the issue with the 2Ghz network, and low and behold the little graphic that say " anew router firmware version is availbile" has popped up. will it fix more problems than it solves? fingers crossed!

Message 6 of 24
cybot
Luminary

btw... my free support period is up for my router. how would i go about contacting the NG support team - without incurring a cost? would i still use the phone support number? or is there a thread or person i can PM here? or is there an email address I can fire off a message to?

Message 7 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes @DarrenM 

What version do you see being made available? 

Message 8 of 24
cybot
Luminary

is see version 1.4.2.84_1.3.42 being made available from version 1.4.1.82_1.3.40

Message 9 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, I'd do a power cycle OFF then back ON and check, if problem is still there, try a factory reset and setup from scratch...

Message 10 of 24
cybot
Luminary

looks like the firmware update fixed the issue with the 2ghz network. it remains to be seen whether any old or new issues have popped up (again)

Message 11 of 24
cybot
Luminary

oops posted too wrong thread by accident. [message deleted]

Message 12 of 24
cybot
Luminary

looks like the firmware update brought back a bug which had been solved in the previous firmware. the issue involves corruption to the performance optimization database settings.

Message 13 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Even after a factory reset? 

Something to let NG know about. 

Message 14 of 24
cybot
Luminary

im about to do a factory reset, will post back once im finished

Message 15 of 24
cybot
Luminary

not quite finished re-entering all my settings following a factory reset, but already i can tell there are issues. my phone is able to connect to the 2ghz network, but suddenly following the reset, my pc is once again no longer able to connect to the 2ghz network. not sure what to make of that. also the performance optimization database corruption used to be fixed by a factory reset. this is no longer the case. in additin, telling the database to update, just result in an infinite length trying to connect to netgear server screen. So, the update assistant for that is broken as well; now. I only have a 10Mpbs connection, so the performance database is an important feature to me.

Message 16 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Well, may need to go back to what was working better for you. 
Let NG know what your seeing. 

@cybot wrote:

not quite finished re-entering all my settings following a factory reset, but already i can tell there are issues. my phone is able to connect to the 2ghz network, but suddenly following the reset, my pc is once again no longer able to connect to the 2ghz network. not sure what to make of that. also the performance optimization database corruption used to be fixed by a factory reset. this is no longer the case. in additin, telling the database to update, just result in an infinite length trying to connect to netgear server screen. So, the update assistant for that is broken as well; now. I only have a 10Mpbs connection, so the performance database is an important feature to me.

Message 17 of 24
cybot
Luminary

went back to the previous version, and the optimization database setting started working normally, even without a factory reset. seeing this, i did the following:

performed a factory reset. 

at the firmware upgrade screen during router first time setup, let the router upgrade the firmware for me.

re-entered all my settings. manually.

I am now able to connect to the 2ghz and both 5ghz networks with my PC, so that is one thing that is solved. The performance optimization database settings remain corrupted in the newest version of the firmware.

I know this might sound stupid, but how do I go about contacting NG about this issue? my free support period for my router has long since expired, and I don't have the cash for paid support.

Message 18 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

You can send your information to a forum Moderator.

@DarrenM 

Message 19 of 24
cybot
Luminary

this sounds stupid, but how do find one of the moderators? i have never had to track one down before, so i am unfamiliar with the process.

Message 20 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

I tagged on in this thread for you...

Message 21 of 24
cybot
Luminary

so a moderator will take a look at it? great!  for future reference, how do i do that on my own?

Message 22 of 24
cybot
Luminary

just for reference i am posting an image of what i am seeing

Capture.JPG

Message 23 of 24
cybot
Luminary