Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000p X6S performance and download speed drastically reduced when uploading

epontius2
Tutor

R8000p X6S performance and download speed drastically reduced when uploading

I have had this Nighthawk  X6S R8000p  router for a while now and never really had too much problem with it until now.

I have AT&T Uverse (internet/phone only not fiber) and get 40-50Mbs download and around 5Mbs upload speeds. 

Starting just a couple of days ago the performance of the router cratered as soon as anything began uploading (ie Frame.io, YouTube, Dropbox, etc...). Download speed fell to dial up-like speeds in the Kbs while upload speeds according to the sites that are being uploaded to are within the 5Mbs range. Both wired and wireless connections had the same horrible performance.

As soon as the uploads complete, download speeds go back to what they normally are.

AT&T's troubleshooters show completely normal speeds from their end to the gateway when this issue happens.

I suspect that this is a performance issue with the router as I even have difficulties accessing the Netgear Genie dashboard with the browser often timing out when this issue occurs even with a wired connection. 

The router has firmware version V1.4.1.24_1.2.20 installed, which appears to be the latest version. I have auto-updates enabled, so I'm not sure if this performance issue corresponds with its installation or not.

QoS isn't enabled on the router and I disabled WMM which was on the same QoS tab in the advanced settings.

I've never really seen uploading have such a drastic performance impact on download speeds.

Any help would be appreciated.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
epontius2
Tutor

Re: R8000p X6S performance and download speed drastically reduced when uploading

AT&T replaced the gateway and the problem has been resolved. However, the gateway currently has an older version of the firmware and hasn't updated to the version that was on my old box. So no telling if once the network finally gets around to pushing the latest firmware update if this problem will return.

But this issue was related to the AT&T gateway and not the netgear router.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
epontius2
Tutor

Re: R8000p X6S performance and download speed drastically reduced when uploading

I did some further testing and this issue may be more likely related to the Uverse gateway than the Netgear Router.

With a file uploading on another desktop connected through a wire to the Netgear router, I connected a notebook to the Uverse gateway via a wired connection. Performance was still poor connected directly to the gateway. Interestingly enough, the gateway's own built in speed test utility still showed normal speeds albeit and browser speedtests having extremely poor performance or errors.

It seems that AT&T may have recently pushed a firmware update and that might be causing this issue.

Message 2 of 3
epontius2
Tutor

AT&T replaced the gateway and the problem has been resolved. However, the gateway currently has an older version of the firmware and hasn't updated to the version that was on my old box. So no telling if once the network finally gets around to pushing the latest firmware update if this problem will return.

But this issue was related to the AT&T gateway and not the netgear router.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7