Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8500 Firmware

Deanmastjr
Star

R8500 Firmware

After trying all firmware versions even beta, and still having issues (wifi dropping out, having to reset every day to get it to do anything) and now started happening with original firmware , I have decided to try out an open source firmware for the first time. So far this seems to be working, only issue I'm having is not being able to get a guest network up and running, probably just have to do a little more tinkering (darn newbies like me). Anyways if anyone else is as frustrated as me, here's a link http://myopenrouter.com/
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Deanmastjr
Star

Re: R8500 Firmware

No problem, and seems like once again I am satisfied with this open source firmware... mainly because it's more stable then netgear firmware which sucks because I have always used netgear products and always liked their firmware.... oh well, until firmware is stable and able to do everything they advertise without causing headaches, I will be using open source firmware even though it is above my level of experience as well.... bottom line: netgear firmware is easy to use but unstable on R8500 and dd-wrt open source takes a lot more knowledge but seems to be stable... Hope this helps

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
mcclaindave
Aspirant

Frustrated too and nervous about adding a third party firmware to my expensive new router. I realize it's only been a couple of days but how is it working? Did you get the guest network working?

Message 2 of 8
Deanmastjr
Star

So far it actually seems to be pretty stable. Still not able to get guest network up and running, I can connect but no internet on guest networks, of course I really haven't had a chance to look into it more, kinda new to open source and am pretty confident I just haven't nailed down all the settings for the guest networks to work.  All in all though, actually being able to use it without being frustrated is a little relaxing so I'm not to worried about it at the moment. Maybe this weekend I'll get a little more time to have a look if I'm not shoveling the snow.

Message 3 of 8
Deanmastjr
Star

To all, after responding to netgear support ticket when asking for a replacement, which I sent before installing the open source firmware, netgear sent back a list of things to answer, one of them being firmware versions I have tried, I listed all including beta and the current open source firmware which seems pretty stable after 4 days of using. They have approved RMA, if new one has as many issues as this one, I will just install the open source firmware, which has been pretty stable so far.
Message 4 of 8
Deanmastjr
Star

Well, seems like I will be going back to open source firmware, took 48 hrs and right back to issues...
Message 5 of 8
mcclaindave
Aspirant

Thanks for the update. I tried the open source, but honestly it was above my level of experience and I was afraid to brick an expensive router. I went back to the newest beta Netgear firmware. I am using the router for devices connected via ethernet and devices that can connect to 5ghz wifi. The other devices in my home that cannot are still connected to my AT&T modem/wifi router. So I do have two wifi signals in the house which I understand is not ideal, but it appears to work. Not what I want, but until a fix comes along that's what I have to do.

Message 6 of 8
Deanmastjr
Star

No problem, and seems like once again I am satisfied with this open source firmware... mainly because it's more stable then netgear firmware which sucks because I have always used netgear products and always liked their firmware.... oh well, until firmware is stable and able to do everything they advertise without causing headaches, I will be using open source firmware even though it is above my level of experience as well.... bottom line: netgear firmware is easy to use but unstable on R8500 and dd-wrt open source takes a lot more knowledge but seems to be stable... Hope this helps
Message 7 of 8
chascent
Luminary

I find the stock firmware .26 and the .28 (currently using) to be absolutly rock solid.

I stream Netfix 4k no problem. QOS works as advertised. I have static ip address for 14 

clients. Email logs daily (which properly clears the log) works perfectly. Clients consist

of ipads, macbook pro, iphones, Nexus 6P Android, Apple-TV, LG smart TV, R7000 in

Bridge mode, 2 pc's, Epson wireless network printer and a pc hard wired with a 3 tb hd. All perfect.

I don't have a single complaint. Never a drop out and always incredibley fast page loads.

This is on 30 down 3 up cable connection.

CC

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7