Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8500 Latest Firmware Version V1.0.2.154 Broke DNS!

DirtyWilly
Star

R8500 Latest Firmware Version V1.0.2.154 Broke DNS!

Hello, the latest firmware version V1.0.2.154 for the R8500 router appears to have broken DNS!  I have to refresh pages multiple times to get them to load.  Attached is the most common error.  DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

vmware.png

This is happening with nearly every other website.  The DNS is not resolving and requires multiple page refreshes.  Happens in all browsers and other applications such as VPN/VDI software.  I have tried multiple different DNS servers, including my ISP's (Spectrum) no change.  This started happening IMMEDIATELY after applying firmware version V1.0.2.154.  Please fix this!

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 93
plemans
Guru

You can downgrade the firmware to the prior version. 

Simply download the older version, extract it, then follow the manual firmware update process and use the older firmware. 

then just disable auto-updates

Message 2 of 93
DirtyWilly
Star

Thanks, I might need to do this.  Unfortunately, the biggest reason for upgrading was .144 crashed!  Never had this router crash, figured it was a problem with the firmware and updated to .154.

Message 3 of 93
plemans
Guru

"crashed" doesn't tell us a whole lot. 

What actually happened? 

sometimes a simple factory reset can clear out bad settings/issues that might cause a "crash". 

I'd try the downgrade, factory reset, and reinstall. See how it goes. 

Message 4 of 93
DirtyWilly
Star

I was using my PC in the evening when all of the devices in the house stopped working.  All of the usual lights on the router were solid on, I don't recall any activity lights blinking, however, I couldn't reach the router through IP address.  I had to power off the router using the power button, and once it started back up all of the devices in the house resumed.  This is the first time it has halted in the four years I owned it.  Since I upraded to firmware .144 within the past 6 months, I decided to check for a newer release in case that was the cause.  Since .154 was available I upraded and the DNS issue started.  Seems obvious now after checking the posts on here that this is clearly something with .154.  There should be no need to perform a factory reset as I didn't change anything other than firmware, but I'm hoping Netgear has a solution for this.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 93
plemans
Guru

I have a feeling they're aware as there's been several models with the latest firmware updates that have dns issues. 

Message 6 of 93
DirtyWilly
Star

I downgraded back to .144 and the issue immediately resolved.  Also the webpages seem to be loading faster (at first glance would have to be tested), indicating there are secondary issues with DNS in .154.

Message 7 of 93
DirtyWilly
Star

While the issue seems resolved and the DNS does appear faster than before.  I still think there are issues with the DNS as you mentioned.  I have received the DNS error on a very few handful of sites, nothing like before, but some including pages on Netgear itself.  Much rarer in the order of 100 times less on version .144 though.  Also it almost appears there is delayed processing going on accessing the web pages as well, which could be DNS related.  One guess without knowing more informaiton seems like the DNS is failing on the first try (possibly due to whatever the security patch is processing) and autorefreshing so you don't notice it failed.  In version .154 the timeout is being reached or just fails more but either way I think there are still DNS issues in .144 as well.

Message 8 of 93
plemans
Guru

have you tried a 3rd party dns? 

like google at 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

or cloudfare at 1.1.1.1?

The default on the netgear routers is for the ISP to manage dns. 

Message 9 of 93
DirtyWilly
Star

Yes, I always use CloudFlare.  But I have also tried Google and ISP (Spectrum).

Message 10 of 93
plemans
Guru

if you're having issues with it after the downgrade, I'd try a few different dns providers. might be an issue with the provider 

Message 11 of 93
Stappmeyer
Aspirant

I have been having this DNS issue since the update about 5 days ago. In a packet capture I see DNS response code of REFUSED from the router.

I just rolled back to the previous version with hopes that it will be better.

Message 12 of 93
tdebug
Tutor

This is the router issue. I have the same and my ISP is for sure different. Now downgraded to 144 and hope for the best. Netgear must definitely look into the problem and check what their QA is doing.

Message 13 of 93
theroadent
Initiate

I am having exactly the same issues... tested direct through PC to provider and all fine, this is a router firmware issue

Message 14 of 93
theroadent
Initiate

downgraded firmware to 144 and the issue has instantly gone.

Message 15 of 93
robberdobber
Initiate

Will Netgear ever fix this?  I have to decide whether to buy a new router from a company that addresses issues on a timely basis.

Message 16 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Doesn't look like it. Users seem to need to revert FW to 144 to fix it for now:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R8500-Latest-Firmware-Version-V1-0-2-154-Bro...

Fixes don't come over night and do take time. Happens with all router mfrs. 

@robberdobber wrote:

Will Netgear ever fix this?  I have to decide whether to buy a new router from a company that addresses issues on a timely basis.

Message 17 of 93
robberdobber
Initiate

I have reverted - however the updates show to address security issues which could make me vulnerable.

Message 18 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Contact NG support and open a support ticket and let them know what your seeing. 

Message 19 of 93
Guru1911
Aspirant

I too am having the DNS issue. Plus BOTH 5G radios will not function. I can see them and connect, but it tells me I'm connected but no internet? I have a netgear range extender ex6200 I believe, that I can connet to the R8500 but will not connect to the Internet. When I log in via the internal IP I can change some settings like say the device name and priority, but it gives an error about the device image not being valid. There are several other issues like this going on with build 154. My son's Windows 10 pc that he uses exclusively for remote learning will not connect to the edgenuity website and stay stable. I wiped the box, put a new wireless card and hard drive in it to no avail. Sometimes on my Samsug S20 FE I'll try to connect but it won't see the wireless router for several attempts. I reloaded the firmware 3 times and reset all security settings, turned off qos and still have issues. I really don't want to revert to sub revisions that have security vulnerabilities as a tradeoff for functionality. For what I paid for this unit I would think there would be a little bit better QA involved. I realize it takes some time to patch the holes, but to almost brick the functionality of the router to rush a fix out doesn't quite get it. Please fix the firmware asap and restore the full operating capabilities of this unit. Thanks in advance.
Message 20 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Users seem to need to revert FW to 144 to fix it for now:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R8500-Latest-Firmware-Version-V1-0-2-154-Bro...

Contact NG support and open a support ticket and let them know what your seeing. 

@Guru1911 wrote:
I too am having the DNS issue. Plus BOTH 5G radios will not function. I can see them and connect, but it tells me I'm connected but no internet? I have a netgear range extender ex6200 I believe, that I can connet to the R8500 but will not connect to the Internet. When I log in via the internal IP I can change some settings like say the device name and priority, but it gives an error about the device image not being valid. There are several other issues like this going on with build 154. My son's Windows 10 pc that he uses exclusively for remote learning will not connect to the edgenuity website and stay stable. I wiped the box, put a new wireless card and hard drive in it to no avail. Sometimes on my Samsug S20 FE I'll try to connect but it won't see the wireless router for several attempts. I reloaded the firmware 3 times and reset all security settings, turned off qos and still have issues. I really don't want to revert to sub revisions that have security vulnerabilities as a tradeoff for functionality. For what I paid for this unit I would think there would be a little bit better QA involved. I realize it takes some time to patch the holes, but to almost brick the functionality of the router to rush a fix out doesn't quite get it. Please fix the firmware asap and restore the full operating capabilities of this unit. Thanks in advance.

Message 21 of 93
tdebug
Tutor

@robberdobber wrote:

I would not be so sure about that. This model is old, well out of warranty and listed as "end of life" product. Besides, it is not the only model they broke with firmware update, so I simply lost my trust with netgear. 

Message 22 of 93

@tdebug wrote:

I would not be so sure about that. This model is old, well out of warranty and listed as "end of life" product. 

Even EOL devices, some of them, get firmware updates.  

If Netgear produced a recent update that broke something, then it is likely to come up with a fix. But who knows when?

Then again, I see  no sign that rthe R8500 is EOL.

This bug seems to have hit several different models. If you want to keep ahead of developments, you could watch the support pages for your router.

Support | NETGEAR

Fill in your model number.

That page will have any firmware for your device, including previous releases which some people have used as a temporary fix for this bug.

I suggest watching that because new firmware can arrive there before it lands on the update server. There may even be a hotfix which is sometimes an early release of new firmware that has yet to go through all the stages needed to prepare it for official release.

Message 23 of 93

@tdebug wrote:

@robberdobber wrote:

I would not be so sure about that. This model is old, well out of warranty and listed as "end of life" product. Besides, it is not the only model they broke with firmware update, so I simply lost my trust with netgear. 

I lost all trust in Netgear too. They haven't been able to fix some extremely annoying bugs for more than 2 years now. Support is non existent. Even though there are tons of complaints on this forum.

Last week I dumped all my Netgear equipment (R8500, 2 EX8000 extenders, etc) and replaced it with Asus ZenWifi AX ET8 routers.

What a blast:

- The user interface (PC and app) is 10 times better. More user friendly, more functionality.

- Attached devices are shown only once (in stead of Netgear's approach of artificially creating MAC addresses each time a device attaches to another node, which leads to an unmanageable situation, and MAC filtering is impossible)

- Renaming attached devices works fine, unlike Netgear where these names are gone next time you reboot, or they won't stick at all.

- No more dropping connections, rock solid performanc, unlike Netgear where I had issues each and every day.

- Seamless roaming between nodes, whereas with Netgear I had to reattach a device to the network in order to make it roam.

- Full mesh capability with up to 7 nodes, where nodes dynamically create the best connection path.

- You can configure a preferred path for each node, unlike netgear where you have zero control.

- You can use a wired backhaul, unlike netgear. You can even use a mix of wired and wireless backhaul, static or dynamically switching.

- Free security software from TrendMicro for intrusion detection, malicious site blocking, infected device blocking, etc. Netgear offers nothing like that.

- Much much much better coverage

Message 24 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Even my NG R7000 and R7800 are still getting FW updates...

@tdebug wrote:

@robberdobber wrote:

Message 25 of 93
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7