Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8500 Reboot Loop

R8500 Reboot Loop

My R8500 seems to have crashed today, and is now stuck in a reboot loop. I was working (connected to the router via wifi), and the network dropped. I got up to see what the issue was and could see the router was rebooting. After watching it stuggle for a while, I tried:

* Power cycling the router (via both the power button, and unplugging from the wall)

* Reset via the button on the back

* 30/30/30 Reset

* tftp (getting the idea from this page and following these instructions to do it via Linux)

None have seemed to have had any effect. Everytime, the lights flash on, the power light goes amber, more flashing lights, then they all go off and it starts over.

Following the tfto guide, I was able to connect to the router (confirmed via ping), but every time I tried to transfer the file, it timed out.

I am runing the stock firmware, V1.0.2.26_1.0.41, and that is the version I have been trying to flash with tftp.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Chris

Message 1 of 29

Accepted Solutions

Re: R8500 Reboot Loop

FWIW, when the support team contacted me (OP), they said it was a hardware issue, and shipped me a new unit (just arrived today).

Best,

Chris

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 29

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You might contact support.

Message 2 of 29
VE6CGX
Master

You can try this. Power off router. Leave it for 5 mins. or so. Then holding the reset button down, power up.

Wait until power light flashes then let go of the reset button. Now does it finish rebooting? Can you ping the

router? Then what is TTL time value?

Message 3 of 29
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ChrisRogers91 One of our support team will reach out to you regarding your concern.

Message 4 of 29

Hey,

Thanks for the tip, but holding the reset button while booting doesn't seem to do anything.

If I set my computer up with a static ip, I can ping the router part way through the boot process. TTL is 100. Here's a sample of the ping output:

From 192.168.1.75 icmp_seq=744 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.75 icmp_seq=745 Destination Host Unreachable
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=746 ttl=100 time=3007 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=747 ttl=100 time=1999 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=749 ttl=100 time=1.69 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=750 ttl=100 time=1.65 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=751 ttl=100 time=1.67 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=752 ttl=100 time=1.70 ms
From 192.168.1.75 icmp_seq=785 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.75 icmp_seq=786 Destination Host Unreachable

Best,

Chris

Message 5 of 29
VE6CGX
Master

TTL=100ms means it is waiting for firmware. You have to use TFTP method to reload firmware. You may have to try few time

to be successful. Don't forget to enable tftp service on your Windows PC

Message 6 of 29
GeekSkill
Aspirant

Hi,

I`m having the same problem with this model. I Tried the same things too. Is there any solution?

Weird thing this happen almost at same time as with the OP... Have NetGear ran some kind of faulty update or something like that?

Message 7 of 29
rlaroch1
Guide

i also have the dreaded reboot loop. I'm using a CP2102 USB TTL board V3.0 to use putty and tftpd64 (windows10). Tried everything I could find online. I feel equipped with the right tools...but so far no go.  

Message 8 of 29
VE6CGX
Master

One has to realize the window you can load f/w using tftp is very narrow. First if you set up every thing and

the f/w to be loaded is in the same directory as your tftp command is, get everything ready to a point to hit

the enter key on the keyboard. After turning on the router, as soon as you see the power light blinking, hit

"Enter key"  to execute tftp command. This has to be timed right, other wise you miss the chance. 

TFTP process takes only split seconds. If you keep trying, you'll get the hang of it.

Message 9 of 29
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@GeekSkill & @rlaroch1 Kindly register your devices and let me know once done so I can forward you to our support team.

Message 10 of 29
rlaroch1
Guide

@ElaineM wrote:

@GeekSkill@ & @rlaroch1 Kindly register your devices and let me know once done so I can forward you to our support team.

I couldn't register this R8500 serial # 4DG159760239A as it was already registered by someone on the Netgear staff. I guess he didn't want to deal with this nonfunctional device. I found it on eBay.

This R8500: cannot invoke reset mode via reset button. Boot cycle is only partial and loops 8 times before finally stopping. No access to gui.

I can get the device in TFTP mode (blinking amber power) via puTTY/serial interface. TFTPd64 "appears" to load and program the firmware but reboots to its same reboot loop state. My best guess the installed FW file is not only corrupt but a file type other than .chk

Message 11 of 29
rlaroch1
Guide

I made a rather startling discovery: I cannot tftpd firmware because I don't know the stored password: every try says 'unauthorized password'. I tried every default including 'password'. As previously stated the reset button has no effect on restoring defaults: be it 5 seconds, 30 seconds or a hard reset. So there's my roadblock. If anyone has a suggestion I'd LOVE to hear it!

Message 12 of 29
VE6CGX
Master

Come to think of it, can you feel the click when you push the reset button? Remote chance but reset

switch could be defective. Regarding password, it has nothing to do tftp procedure.

Message 13 of 29
rlaroch1
Guide

@VE6CGX wrote:

Come to think of it, can you feel the click when you push the reset button? Remote chance but reset

switch could be defective. Regarding password, it has nothing to do tftp procedure.

Yes. I carefully checked the reset button. 

If PW has nothing to do with it why do I get that message?

Message 14 of 29
VE6CGX
Master

Let's back off little bit. Can you ping the router? I many times used tftp to debrick routers and never

aI was asked password. You mean when you start excecuting tftp command, you get password question?

Message 15 of 29
rlaroch1
Guide

@VE6CGX wrote:

Let's back off little bit. Can you ping the router? I many times used tftp to debrick routers and never

aI was asked password. You mean when you start excecuting tftp command, you get password question?

Hi thanks for trying to help! No problem pinging router. Only tftp/tftp2 gives that. Tftp64 doesn't and goes through the motions like it's actually upgrading the firmware. Putty tells me its programming then auto reboots, only to do a partial boot and then repeat over and over. Again I suspect instead of a chk file somebody loaded a third party file (bin or whatever). I'm in uncharted territory but at least it's alive. I refuse to give up!

Message 16 of 29
VE6CGX
Master

Can you log in to the router by it's ip address?  Netgear routers all use 12V DC wall wart. None handy for you?

Message 17 of 29
rlaroch1
Guide

@VE6CGX wrote:

Can you log in to the router by it's ip address?  Netgear routers all use 12V DC wall wart. None handy for you?

No I can't. After it's done with all of its boot cycles it's in a state of unusefullness. No GUI, no wireless. It's a miracle I can connect via LAN. And if it wasn't for the serial interface I couldn't invoke a blinking Amber power light. I can't seem to telnet into it. If I could I'd try 'MTD -erase linux' : apparently from what I've read it's not possible to replace open source firmware with stock firmware if you're not in the GUI. Because this is a newish model router I can only get info on older routers. Again, uncharted territory ha ha.

Message 18 of 29
rlaroch1
Guide

19V 3.16A

Stock ac adapter 

Message 19 of 29

FWIW, when the support team contacted me (OP), they said it was a hardware issue, and shipped me a new unit (just arrived today).

Best,

Chris
Message 20 of 29
rlaroch1
Guide

@ChrisRogers91 wrote:

Best,

Chris

Lucky you. I bought this device as is with known issues so I can only dream. It's worse than I expected but I'm determined to find a way. #fun

Message 21 of 29
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@rlaroch1 I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the support.

Since the device is purchased from eBay we cannot proceed any further.

Message 22 of 29
rlaroch1
Guide

I wonder if the boot loader is ok since pressing the reset button doesn't trigger the recovery mode...

Message 23 of 29
rlaroch1
Guide

Maybe if I try loading an open source firmware that matches the file type already in mine it'll work. Last I knew dd-wrt didn't have one for an R8500. 

Message 24 of 29
VE6CGX
Master

If and when router is pinged, TTL=100ms means it is waiting for f/w.  Being a fairly new product I don't

think you can find a copy of CFE. Just to get it out of the way, trying another known good wall wart

may be a good idea. I moved to Linksys EA8500 since my last Netgear R7500 went dead with spark

flying and smoke pouring out of the router. I got a replacement but I passed it to some one else on

eBay, LOL! Good luck.

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7