Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8500 Reboot Loop

markblair
Aspirant

R8500 Reboot Loop

I have the R8500 router and starting last night it went into a reboot loop.  The issues started a couple of days ago when my 5Ghz channel would no longer connect.  I was able to still use WiFi with the 2.4Ghz though.  Slowly different devices started losing connection to that as well.  I rebooted my router last night and now it turns on (I get the blue LED lights) and then the lights go off after about 20-30 seconds.  They turn back and then off again and this repeats.  I've turned off the router for 5+ minutes, made sure it was not overheating (it wasn't) and cleaned it out with compressed air.  The issue remains.

I see a bunch of posts for the same problem here on the forum and some could be fixed with steps that I also tried and others required a replacement.  Is this a known defect with the R8500?  Is Netgear addressing these problems to replace these lemon routers?

What are my steps Netgear?  Apparently you only give 90 days warranty which is disappointing.  If this can't be fixed easily I do expect a replacement since I've only had the router for a few months.  Just past the 90 day warranty of course.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
markblair
Aspirant

Re: R8500 Reboot Loop

Thanks for the response.  Everything is working again.  I had tried several things including rebooting the router and trying to release/renew the IP.  When I plugged directly into my cable modem everything worked.

What fixed it though was when I reconnected everything including the router (still no connection) and then went through the Xfinity mobile app and sent a reset signal to my modem.  That somehow made a difference and the Netgear control panel then showed IP and DNS info from Comcast.  I am not sure why that mattered since my cable modem wasn't the problem but after doing a reset, it also populated the network information into the router and I was back online.  I've never run into this issue before so hopefully this is the permanent fix.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @markblair

I suggest that you contact support and explain the issue you're having to diagnose if the unit is faulty. 

Ask them to do a hardware check on your unit. 

Message 2 of 4
markblair
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.  Everything is working again.  I had tried several things including rebooting the router and trying to release/renew the IP.  When I plugged directly into my cable modem everything worked.

What fixed it though was when I reconnected everything including the router (still no connection) and then went through the Xfinity mobile app and sent a reset signal to my modem.  That somehow made a difference and the Netgear control panel then showed IP and DNS info from Comcast.  I am not sure why that mattered since my cable modem wasn't the problem but after doing a reset, it also populated the network information into the router and I was back online.  I've never run into this issue before so hopefully this is the permanent fix.

Message 3 of 4
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I am hoping that too. Thank you for updating the thread. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7