Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R9000 — Nighthawk X10 AD7200 transmitting 5ghz but not accepting connections

applefanboy
Aspirant

R9000 — Nighthawk X10 AD7200 transmitting 5ghz but not accepting connections

Hello,

I have a R9000 — Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router. The router is transmitting a 5GHz signal but not accepting any connections to it.

So far I have tried:

1. Installed dd-wrt
    1. Issue persists
      1. flashed back to newest NETGEAR firmware via tftp 
  2. Factory reset
    1. Issues persists
  3. Tried various older versions of firmware
    1. Issue persists
  4. Disabling security
    1. Issue persists
  5. Changing channels
    1. Issue persists

As of 20220605 the router is on the newest version of NETGEAR firmware V1.0.5.40. 2.4Ghz is working and hardwired connections are working as expected.

Are there any other options I can try? I am at a loss as to why it started happening...

Thanks.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R9000 — Nighthawk X10 AD7200 transmitting 5ghz but not accepting connections

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What happens if you disable WPA security on the 5Ghz radio, then does anything get connected? Set WPA2 and AES after testing this.

Message 2 of 8
applefanboy
Aspirant

Re: R9000 — Nighthawk X10 AD7200 transmitting 5ghz but not accepting connections

@FURRYe38 

The modem is a Netgear C7000. I attempted to disable security and connect; I am still unable to do so. I also changed the security option and changed the password, same result. I presume it must be a hardware issue at this point.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is the C series modem in? Bridge? 

What browser are you using? Try MS Edge or Firefox. Factory reset the router and setup from scratch. Use the configure router yourself option. 

Disable Smart Connect.

Disable WPA security...can you set this here? 

Message 4 of 8
applefanboy
Aspirant

@FURRYe38,

Since the C7000 is a modem/router combo, I have the router mode disabled on it. It is functioning solely as a modem at this point. 

To answer your browser question, I typically use Google Chrome to manage and maintain any router settings and configuration. Does Edge or Firefox offer me something Chrome does not?

Smart connect has always been disabled as it is a feature I do not like. I have done what you have suggested to no avail. After setting up from scratch, I can see the 5ghz channel in my available networks but am unable to connect. 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd give Voxel's 3rd party FW a try and see if this changes anything. If it doesn't then I would presume there is a HW failure. 

Message 6 of 8
applefanboy
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

I installed the voxel firmware and I am still unable to connect to the 5Ghz channel. As you said it must be a hardware failure at this point.

Thanks for the help.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Sorry it didn't work out. 

If the router is working otherwise, you could just disable the WiFi radios on the router and install a external wired Wireless AP or WiFI MESH system in AP mode to work with the R9000 router. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7