Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R9000 Plex Media Server Problem

kwhit13
Tutor

R9000 Plex Media Server Problem

I am having problems with setting up plex.  I orginally tried to enable Plex with my USB WD My book attached however it never displayed the drive so I figured there was a problem.  I removed the drive and attached it to my computer and formatted it with 3 partitions (4TB overall disk space).  I reattached it and setup readyshare for each partition and when I go to Plex it says the original USB is no longer connected and to select another USB however just like before, it does not display any USB drives to select.  The 3 partitions show on my network to access.  I have tried everything I can think of aside from resetting the router to factory settings which I really don't want to do.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
kwhit13
Tutor

Re: R9000 Plex Media Server Problem

Ok, after many conversations with technical support I believe my problems are resolved.  The problem it turned out to be the Titles of my partitions I had on my hard drive.  If you have an & symbol Plex will not recognize anything (literally one title with the & symbol and Plex will not recognize any hard drives), however, readyshare has no problem with it.  I ended up finding this out on my own by reformatting and naming it a basic name and confirmed it when I tested a title with the & symbol.  I have been running it now for about 2 weeks and no problems. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi kwhit13,

1.  Can you see the drive under ReadyShare when you connect it to the router?

2. If yes, follow the steps given on the KB below.

https://kb.netgear.com/31247/How-do-I-set-up-my-Plex-Media-Server-on-my-Nighthawk-X10-R9000-router

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 2 of 9
kwhit13
Tutor

I can see the drive under readyshare however when I got to the plex page on the router it says the drive I originally had no longer exists and I need to select another USB. The problem is i can't select another USB because there's itching there to select on the plex router page. Unfortunately the link you gave doesn't help because it assumes I can see it. 

Message 3 of 9
kwhit13
Tutor

This is what is looks like when I first go to the plex serever area with the USBs already connected which Readyshare can see all of them but Plex does not.  The second image you can see the section to select the USB is missing.

Screenshot 1.png

Scrrenshot2.png

Message 4 of 9
kwhit13
Tutor

Still need help, the only other thing I can think of is to reset the router to factory settings.

Message 5 of 9
kwhit13
Tutor

Ok so I have tried a few things and it actually created another problem that completely seperate.  

First I factory reset my router and in a nutshell I still can't do anything with Plex.  I no longer get the error of the USB device not being there but it lets me enable with no errors or anything however I never see status or a USB device on the Plex page (it's blank).  The 4TB USB My Book is hooked up to the USB port on the router and the readyshare portion sees all the partitions just fine.

New problem....after I reset the router I can no longer log into the router using my main PC (I have been using it up until this point).  The Genie app opens and sees everything as good but if I try to do any admin actions it won't let me into the router.  The Chrome browser will not let me in, the browser says connection reset error.  I've tried routerlogin.net, routerlogin.com, and 192.168.1.1...all the same.  I cleared all the browser history (deleted everything) and have restarted the computer and still can't login.  I can get on the WiFi and surf the internet, I can also ping the router just fine through CMD Prompt.  I was able to log into the router with my laptop just fine and I configured the router but my main PC still can't log into the router.

I really need some help and this is getting frustrating.  I still am having issue running the VPN service but that can wait until I can resolve these 2 issues.

Message 6 of 9
JamesGL
Master

Hi kwhit13,

I would suggest you to contact support team in order to properly address your concern. The device is still new and still within support warranty.

Message 7 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@kwhit13 Are you still having problems with your Plex? Make sure that you have the latest Plex version installed by checking the box "Enable Automatic PLEX New Version Update"

Message 8 of 9
kwhit13
Tutor

Ok, after many conversations with technical support I believe my problems are resolved.  The problem it turned out to be the Titles of my partitions I had on my hard drive.  If you have an & symbol Plex will not recognize anything (literally one title with the & symbol and Plex will not recognize any hard drives), however, readyshare has no problem with it.  I ended up finding this out on my own by reformatting and naming it a basic name and confirmed it when I tested a title with the & symbol.  I have been running it now for about 2 weeks and no problems. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7