Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R9000 - WAN VLAN Setting

LucaBilla
Star

R9000 - WAN VLAN Setting

Hello Community!

I posted this problem days ago in the Italian Community but no "reasonable" answer received.

So I'm trying here 🙂

In Italy if you need to use your Router with Fastweb (Italian ISP) with GPON fiber, you need to connect it to an external ONT via Ethernet.

The problem with the R9000 is that you cannot (as it seems) tag a VLAN for the WAN eth port.

Fastweb needs to have the WAN port tagged with VALN 835 and creating a VLAN tag group doesn't work.

It seems that the firmare tags the 6 "switched" eth ports and wifi ports but NOT the WAN.

I tried tagging directly the eth of the PC with VLAN 835 and connecting it to the ONT everything works well.

I tried also a 50$ router that lets you tag the WAN port and everything works.

It's incredible that a 400$ professional router doesn't have an option to tag directly the WAN port.

Anyone had the same problem? I read somewhere that there is a "custom" firmware from Netgear that enables it.

I wouldn't like to buy another router (not Netgear for sure), I would like to make it works.

I tried also dd-wrt but my linux / network competences are not leveled for that.

Thank you very much for any input or help you could give me.

Luca

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 10
LucaBilla
Star

Unfortunately it doesn't work.

As I wrote, this procedure just creates a VLAN tag group for the LAN internal switch, not for the WAN.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Id give Voxels FW a try. You can always revert back to stock of his FW doesn't work. 

Message 4 of 10
LucaBilla
Star

I tried DD-WRT but the configuration is quite "complicated".

You should have BIG competences in Linux / Networking domain, not exactly the use case an "home" router is pointing to.

I didn't succeeded in configure it, and I have "some" competences in it.

We do "simply" need a checkbox in the "internet wan" configuration tab where to indicate the VLAN id for the WAN, nothing complicated.

(All the other routers, also the cheapest ones, have it).

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd post about that over in the DD-WRT forums. Someone there may have more help and information regarding this and DD-WRT. 

Message 6 of 10
LucaBilla
Star

Already did.

Pretty impossible to understand the answers.

What I understood is that R9000 has a "strange" hw internal switching configuration.

There is not just 1 switch but 2. 

And this complicates a lot the VLAN / forwarding configuration. I tried several options but nothing worked, but my fault for sure. 

In those forums there are ENGINEERS with HUGE competences.

Too high for my understanding. 

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Well I did mention Voxels FW to try out. His FW is less complicated and uses same UI as NGs UI. 

Message 8 of 10
LucaBilla
Star

Oh sorry, I didn't know! 

I'll try it for sure then! 

Thank you so much!

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

There is a active forum for his stuff as well over on smallnetbuilders site.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7