I'm on Win 10 64 bit and have these 2 products:

1. Nighthawk X10 wireless router AD7200 model R9000
  2. AC1900 WiFi Range Extender(EX7000)

Both with the latest firmware updates.

I see and can use 3 networks:

1. NETGEAR80
  2. NETGEAR80_2GEXT
  3. NETGEAR80_5GEXT  (which IS faster)

I assume the ones ending in EXT are coming off the Range Extender and hence a bit slower than connecting directly to the router.  Is that correct?

But in the main router setting, there are TWO NETGEAR80 networks listed.  The 1st one has both Enable SSID Broadcast and Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence checked, channel set to auto, and mode set to up to 800.

The 2nd NETGEAR80 network has Enable SSID Broadcast checked, is set to port 153, and mode is set to: up to 1733, and seems to be called: Wireless Network (5GHz 802.11a/n/ac). This one I'd like to be able to use!

But there is no 5g network coming directly from the NETGEAR80 (as far as I can tell), nor is there any network displaying on my PC for the NETGEAR80-60G which is listed in the router wireless setup and has no option to Enable SSID Broadcast. 

When I go into advanced settings, it has a box for "Wireless settings (5.0 ghz)", with Smart Connect Enabled, Channel 149+153(P)+157+161, Mode Up to 1733 Mbps

I am not much of a gear head and am quite confused about what I'm seeing in setup vs what I can select as a network on my PC.  And I'm afraid of what I might be missing in terms of functionality/speed from the devices.

If anyone could help me out here, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks - Richard

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R9000 and 5g

You put you have smart connect enabled. What smart connect does is it combines your 2.4ghz and 5ghz broadcast into 1 ssid (name) and lets devices go between 2.4ghz and 5ghz as needed. so the router is only going to appear as if 1 ssid is broadcasting when 2 are. So its functioning normally. 

Your EX7000 also has the option of mesh mode. meaning it can use the same ssid as the router (if the firmware is current on the ex7000). 

so potentially if you wanted to, you could make it seem like only 1 ssid is broadcasting and devices would roam between router and extender and between 2.4gh/5ghz as needed. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059429/How-to-update-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-WiFi-Range-Extender-to-support-Mesh...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You put you have smart connect enabled. What smart connect does is it combines your 2.4ghz and 5ghz broadcast into 1 ssid (name) and lets devices go between 2.4ghz and 5ghz as needed. so the router is only going to appear as if 1 ssid is broadcasting when 2 are. So its functioning normally. 

Your EX7000 also has the option of mesh mode. meaning it can use the same ssid as the router (if the firmware is current on the ex7000). 

so potentially if you wanted to, you could make it seem like only 1 ssid is broadcasting and devices would roam between router and extender and between 2.4gh/5ghz as needed. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059429/How-to-update-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-WiFi-Range-Extender-to-support-Mesh...

Message 2 of 4
Richard___G
Initiate

I can't believe how simple the answer is! Thank you so much!!  I will definnitely look into that link. 

Again, thank you and happy holidays!

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Glad it helped! 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo