Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R9000 weak signal

Hashmat
Aspirant

R9000 weak signal

I have had weak signal from the first time I opened the box on 03.02.2021, infact the 5ghz reaches one meter and nowhere further. I tried upgrading firmware to the higest 10.0.5.28, didn't work, I downgraded firmware to one below latest 10.0.5.26 didn't work, of course all the factory resets didn't work either

called customer service, they are reading from text after 22 minutes I was told to change the bite size of MTU to 1440 it didn't work either the call dropped and although I was told " if the call drops I will receive a call back" which could have helped so I could continue troublshooting with the same person but didn't receive a call. 

I am stuck now with a router I bought two days ago ( in malaysia ). The retailor tells me the warranty is with Netgera from the start they have no DOA policy and Netgear doesn't have proper phone support.

I also have problem with my CCTV cat5 cable, with the old Dlink router the CCTV is reachable via internet on the phone but on the netgear router any lan port I connnect the cat5 is, the light is always orange and can't reach the CCTV

any idea what to do from here on ?

distance from router to laptop around 20cmdistance from router to laptop around 20cm

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: R9000 weak signal

No idea about the legal situation in Malaysia, responsible and service oriented retailers and resellers are certainly offering some kind of DoA - otherwise you know one to avoid in the future.

Reads like a clear hardware issue to me. Head to https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx, and follow the process of "Replace my defective product". Provide the same information shown here in the community, and add a link to your post here. 

Message 2 of 4
Hashmat
Aspirant

thanks for the reply.

Managed to return it to retailer and get my full refund as I had contacted Netgear the next day after purchase and Netgear support couldn't help.

The hunt for a good router begins again

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Hope you are aware that this is most likley not a systematic R9000 issue, much more it reads like a hardware issue with the specific device. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7