× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 & EAX80 Subnets

sicksix405
Tutor

RAX120 & EAX80 Subnets

On my RAX120 my IP addresses are coming out as 10.0.0.x and my EAX80 extender is giving 192.x.x.x IP addresses, is that ok or should the extender have the same subnet?

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX120 & EAX80 Subnets

They should be on the same subnet. 

what modem/gateway is the RAX connected to? Makes me curious if you have a combo device and the extender is connected to that. 

Message 2 of 9
sicksix405
Tutor

Hey I appreciate the quick reply..  I have AT&T 5000 Fiber on a BGW320-500 (wifi off) connected to my Nighthawk AX12 RAX120 in router mode with the RAX120 running DHCP.  Then the EAX80 is connected via wifi to the RAX120.  I am running this within a 1,173 sq foot apartment with our own garage about 300 feet from the EAX80 (running a hue bulb, FlightAware server, Waze camera and Meross garage door opener within the garage).  I wanted to make sure those items had the best signal so I got the EAX80 but not sure if being in a 3 story apartment complex if all of the wifi signals are killing mine.  Issue outside of the subnet issue.

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

Turning off wifi doesn't disable the att gateway's routing function and still leaves you in a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions. Not all gateways function well/properly in this mode. 
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 4 of 9
sicksix405
Tutor

I forgot to mention that the AT&T box is running IP passthrough DHCPS-fixed! Would that still be the best? Is the extender getting the subnet from the AT&T box?
Message 5 of 9
sicksix405
Tutor

I just did a trace route and found that the first hop was 10.0.0.1 (netgear) and the second was 192.168.1.254 (att box) which would show I have double NAT I believe! I am running IP Passthrough so I am guessing it is not how it should be? Only issues I have been having is my extended is not getting the correct subnet and my Xbox series x cannot update the OS over Ethernet, only works on WiFi! It chokes up when it verifies the software which I guess is a checksum? Also when updating games it will download for a bit then stop then start again then stop!
Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

I'd be betting their passthrough mode not functioning properly. 

You could try one of the other options. 

Or live with the different subnets if its not causing issues

Message 7 of 9
sicksix405
Tutor

I am continuing to do the IP Passthrough and seems to be working ok after totally disabling any firewall within the AT&T box! I am still getting terrible speeds off my EAX80 and when I use the nighthawk app and select network map, there is a circle under the EAX box that is grey and I would imagine it should be green like the RAX120 shows?

In my RAX120 I have my 2.4 with auth as WPA2/WPA3-Personal and my 5 as WPA2/WPA3-Personal. On the EAX80, I have my 2.4 & 5 with auth as WPA/WPA2-Personal because the EAX I heard is not compatible with WPA3?

I may just give up and use Ethernet to the EAX but would prefer not do! Just think it could produce as much speed as the RAX120 can!
Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

You put the garage is 300ft from the apartment. 

Is the extender in the apartment or in the garage because 300ft is way further than those extenders are going to reach with any sort of speed at all. 

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7