Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 - Netzwerk-Auslastung

klaus_0826
Guide

RAX80 - Netzwerk-Auslastung

Hallo

Ich habe in meinem Netzwerk 3 Synology NAS, welche via Kabel mit meinem RAX80-Router verbunden sind. Auf dem Synology NAS 1817+ habe ich ca. 9 TB Daten abgelegt, von denen ich regelmässig mittels Acronis einen Backup (aufgeteilt in mehrere Segmente) erstelle. Wenn ich den Update-Prozess  im Windows Task-Manager ansehe (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit) stelle ich fest, dass das Netzwerk meist zu 100% ausgelastet ist, während bei meiner Workstation (AMD Ryzen 7) die CPU-Auslastung bei ca. 7%, die Auslastung des Arbeitsspeicher bei ca. 20% liegt.  Beim Synology NAS 1817+ liegt die CPU-Auslastung bei etwa 14%, die RAM-Auslastung bei etwa 9%. Es scheint mir, dass die Netzwerkverbindung (Kabel) zwischen dem NAS und dem Router der Engpass ist.   Da die Anbindung des NAS an den Router  via Kabel konfiguriert ist, sehe ich aus meiner Sicht  kaum eine Möglichkeit, die Netzauslastung zu reduzieren. Es sei denn, dass ich über die Einstellungen des RAX80  noch  eine Leistungsverbesserung erreichen könnte... 

Ich würde gerne den Rat eines NETGEAR-Fachmanns in Anspruch nehmen.

Besten Dank und freundliche Grüsse

Klaus

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
klaus_0826
Guide

Hi  plemans

You are completely right! I was misled and mixing up things when I was looking at my internet subscription  ... That's another issue;  sorry for that!   

We are talking about the LAN connections between my RAX80 and my NAS's... If I understand you correctly there is not much one can do about the lack of performance there.  So I will try to better organize my backup process  and  use mainly the 'idle' time during the night  in order to gain  some additional  processing power and more efficiency.   Anyhow, I got some uselful information from you.

I will close the thread ... 

Thanks for your help and kind regards

Klaus

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You're probably right the ethernet link is the bottleneck. It doesn't take much cpu/ram speed to saturate a gigabit connection. I can saturate mine and barely hit 10-15% cpu usage. 

You can always upgrade to a 10gig connection if you'd like. Its a lot more expensive in terms of router, connection in the computer, and NAS but you'll be able to move data faster. Is it worth the cost? thats up to you. 

Message 2 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@plemans wrote:

You're probably right the ethernet link is the bottleneck.  

Yes, of course.

@plemans wrote:

You can always upgrade to a 10gig connection if you'd like. Its a lot more expensive in terms of router, connection in the computer, and NAS but you'll be able to move data faster.  

Unless you have an Internet connection going beyond  1 Gb/s there is no need to update the router. Most ISP supplied CPE for faster Internet connections offer at least some 2.5/5 or 10G LAN port.

No question, a 10G network requires a 10G (better MultiGig) capable switch, 10G adapters on the NAS and the computers to take an advantage out of it.

Message 3 of 7
klaus_0826
Guide

Hi  @plemans

Thank you for your  reply. 

I currently have an internet  with 500 Mbit/s download and 50 Mbit/s upload. The provider offers now a Giga net with an upload speed of 1 Gbit/s and 100 mbit/s  on download. Pricewise the upgrade would cost me about 20$ per month which seems pretty reasonable to me. The question for me is if   my RAX80  could  really take advantage of the increased  speed and provide me with higher data transfer rates...

Would you from a technical point of view suggest a change to  the Giga net?

Thank you for your advice and best regards

Klaus

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

If your main data transfer is all on your internal LAN network, then it doesn't really matter what speeds you pay your ISP for. 

You could have a 10mbps connection from your isp but if you're doing backup to a NAS on your internal LAN, you could run at 100x the speed (if you had the capability). 

I guess I'm trying to figure out what issue you're trying to fix? 

You description of the issue followed by your response don't make a lot of sense. 

Message 5 of 7
klaus_0826
Guide

Hi  plemans

You are completely right! I was misled and mixing up things when I was looking at my internet subscription  ... That's another issue;  sorry for that!   

We are talking about the LAN connections between my RAX80 and my NAS's... If I understand you correctly there is not much one can do about the lack of performance there.  So I will try to better organize my backup process  and  use mainly the 'idle' time during the night  in order to gain  some additional  processing power and more efficiency.   Anyhow, I got some uselful information from you.

I will close the thread ... 

Thanks for your help and kind regards

Klaus

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the NightHawk RAX WiFi 6 Router products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with NH router products and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Please be sure to visit and post there for yoru future needs:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/bd-p/en-home-routers-nighthawk-wif...

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear
Thank you.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7